Model Cars Magazine Forum

3/23 Update: First look inside the box: AMT 1964 Cutlass Convertible by Round 2....

tim boyd

11 hours ago, Mark said:

If the auto manufacturer wanted X number of promotional models, AMT/MPC/Jo-Han (pick one) would produce them, regardless of whether or not they could wring another year out of it through minor alterations.  There are numerous promos that were produced for one year only of a particular generation of a car, and on top of that there are a bunch of them that were never even produced as kits...the promo order was enough for the kit company to turn a profit.

it would have been interesting to have worked at one of the model companies in the glory years and to have seen sales figures and costs for the various models; also to be in on the meetings at the car companies and model companies when it was decided what model cars would be produced

11 hours ago, Mark said:

If the auto manufacturer wanted X number of promotional models, AMT/MPC/Jo-Han (pick one) would produce them, regardless of whether or not they could wring another year out of it through minor alterations.  There are numerous promos that were produced for one year only of a particular generation of a car, and on top of that there are a bunch of them that were never even produced as kits...the promo order was enough for the kit company to turn a profit.

Going slightly-off-trail for a minute ; I've always wondered why Plymouth didn't call for promos of the then-new 1970 Duster ? I understand the promo of the Barracuda and Challenger , but the lack of a 1970 Duster is a bit of a brain tickler .

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

I haven't done the test fit yet, but combining the underbody gubbins of the AMT '66 442 with the new '64 Cutlass body seems like a match made (almost) in heaven.  I'll bet a bunch of replica stock builders on this Forum take that very step once the Cutlass kit hits the market. 

Having said that, and having just completed building the engine and the interior of the Cutlass kit, I am surprised (to put it mildly) just how accurately detailed these assemblies are....particularly the 330 V8 in that kit....with a separate, stand alone oil filter, starter/coil, and generally good engraving, the finished engine is much more presentable than most 1960's annual kit offerings.  And the interior, with reasonably good engraving on the door panels and the new instrument panel decal, is pretty presentable as well, other than the bottoms of the front seats and the lack of depth in the footwells....items that could be addressed without a great deal of effort. 

TIM 

Thanks Tim;

Regarding the engine in the kit, for some reason both AMT and Johan in the early years seem to have put more detail effort into the Olds engines than other brands. With the new kit's door panel details as you say, it would make life easier to adapt them to the 66 floor pan and add some detailing.

Edited by BobbyG

11 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Going slightly-off-trail for a minute ; I've always wondered why Plymouth didn't call for promos of the then-new 1970 Duster ? I understand the promo of the Barracuda and Challenger , but the lack of a 1970 Duster is a bit of a brain tickler .

I'm guessing they weren't sure it would be popular.  After all, the Nova had no promos after 1965.  Also, they already had promos of the GTX and Barracuda, and probably limited money budgeted for such things.  In hindsight, it would have been nice, but was rectified for '71.  It has been an inconsistent, yet interesting hobby and marketing tool!

On 2/20/2021 at 10:26 AM, 1972coronet said:

There hadn’t been a Valiant promo since 1966. 

Promos were marketing tools to generate showrooms traffic. It makes sense to do the cooler cars. And some of that traffic couldn’t afford the more expensive cars and left with new Valiants.

Remember, the Viper was produced as an image car for the same reason. 

Edited by Tom Geiger

Fun thread to read. And a great review/look at the kit, Tim. I'm excited by this one. I already have one on preorder. I love the old style, simple kits like this. I'm okay with the molded in headlamps. I like the simple chassis with metal axles and screws to hold them in place. They help make them lined up and sit level. Even as a kid, I could build a pretty good look replica of the real car using these kits. And they held together after they were done. Very few parts to fall off after were finished. I love them. 

Looking at the MCG '66 442 fret, the "442" emblems look close enough in size to use on this kit. Swap in a 4-speed trans and a suitable shifter.Need to look at the kit air cleaner vs. the 65 Chevelle/ElCamino, but cobbling together a dual snorkel version doesn't look difficult so far. Found the 1:1 air cleaner decals online that can be reduced and printed. Seems like a 442 conversion wouldn't be difficult.

I'm really looking forward to this kit. I'm shocked Round 2 put the time and money into this mold.  Like others I would like it to have been a hardtop. I had been looking for one for a long time. However, I thought a GTO roof swap would fill the gap. As Tim has shown, that would work well with a little effort.  I always thought the 64 line up of AMT kits were cool with their custom parts. I plan on building  a custom and a stock version. I hope Round 2 revives some other long lost kits sooner than later.  I can live with the molded in headlamps and old school chassis. Sure I'd prefer a more detailed chassis and separate headlamp lenses but beggars can't be choosers. The more particular and higher skilled builders will swap the chassis, drill out the headlamps for clear lens, etc. That's part of the fun and the challenge of building models. You take something standard and make it your own. 

Does anyone have any insight regarding when this kit might be shipping out from our online retailers to those who have already pre-ordered one? I know it should be sometime in March, but anyone that can suggest if it might be early, mid or late-month?  (I'm pretty excited about this kit landing in my mailbox soon)!

52 minutes ago, '70 Grande said:

Does anyone have any insight regarding when this kit might be shipping out from our online retailers to those who have already pre-ordered one? I know it should be sometime in March, but anyone that can suggest if it might be early, mid or late-month?  (I'm pretty excited about this kit landing in my mailbox soon)!

Unless a change is made to the distribution list on Monday to reflect an update, the answer would be - Not at all. There's currently only one model for March, the MPC '70 GTO Short Track "Stocker" 

1 hour ago, '70 Grande said:

Typically kits are available around six weeks after the the productions samples are received.   Based on when this thread started you'd be looking at the end of March or early April assuming the Chinese New Year Holiday didn't delay the shipping.  Distribution will start from their West Coast Warehouse.    

Steve

49 minutes ago, SteveG said:

Based on when this thread started you'd be looking at the end of March or early April assuming the Chinese New Year Holiday didn't delay the shipping. 

The Lunar New Year ( colloq. , 'Chinese New Year' )  was on 12.02 (a Friday this year) . A three-day-weekend should've provided all of the libations over that span 😉 . Model Roundup exhibits March 2021 --non-specific date-- as its guesstimated release .

10 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

The Lunar New Year ( colloq. , 'Chinese New Year' )  was on 12.02 (a Friday this year) . A three-day-weekend should've provided all of the libations over that span 😉 . Model Roundup exhibits March 2021 --non-specific date-- as its guesstimated release .

Actually the official Government Holiday started on Feb 11 and ran until Feb 17 .  Manufacturing shuts down there anywhere from two to four weeks and many Chinese workers use this shutdown time to change jobs so there's a hiring and ramp-up time to consider.  Closest comparison in the US would be Auto Plant shutdowns for model changeover.  CNY is nothing like our typical three day holiday weekend.   

Steve

1 hour ago, SteveG said:

Actually the official Government Holiday started on Feb 11 and ran until Feb 17 .  Manufacturing shuts down there anywhere from two to four weeks and many Chinese workers use this shutdown time to change jobs so there's a hiring and ramp-up time to consider.  Closest comparison in the US would be Auto Plant shutdowns for model changeover.  CNY is nothing like our typical three day holiday weekend.   

Steve

In addition there's up to a 6 week wait time to get unloaded at the SoCal ports, and that was prior to a significant amount of trucking capacity that was quite literally frozen to the ground in the Deep South for nearly a week.  It'll probably take the better part of two weeks to untangle that mess alone as it was long enough to effect the freight network nationwide.

On 2/14/2021 at 4:07 PM, Plowboy said:

Very disappointing since they made that improvement to the '63 Nova wagon. There's no excuse since the grille is newly tooled. I could understand if they just refreshed the old tooling maybe. But, to cut a new grille and have the headlights molded in? I'll vote with my wallet on this kit. 

Really , headlights are the dealbreaker ??😂

On 2/28/2021 at 11:36 AM, PLASTIC FANTASY said:

I'm really looking forward to this kit. I'm shocked Round 2 put the time and money into this mold.  Like others I would like it to have been a hardtop. I had been looking for one for a long time. However, I thought a GTO roof swap would fill the gap. As Tim has shown, that would work well with a little effort.  I always thought the 64 line up of AMT kits were cool with their custom parts. I plan on building  a custom and a stock version. I hope Round 2 revives some other long lost kits sooner than later.  I can live with the molded in headlamps and old school chassis. Sure I'd prefer a more detailed chassis and separate headlamp lenses but beggars can't be choosers. The more particular and higher skilled builders will swap the chassis, drill out the headlamps for clear lens, etc. That's part of the fun and the challenge of building models. You take something standard and make it your own. 

Well, today is your lucky day for the hardtop. Just announced!

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Great! That will save some work (throws recently-purchased '65 GTO roof into the parts pile).

You can use it on a Revell '65 Chevelle. I wish I had a dozen of the things. 

On 2/19/2021 at 9:45 AM, drodg said:

Very nice Tim.  I don't think I have the tools and probably the ability to do the hardtop conversion.   Thanks

That hardtop conversion is probably the easiest thing on Earth. The GTO hardtop is moulded as a separate piece. All that's required is a little sanding and fitting. For glue, especially with the gap at the windshield, I'd use good old fashioned Testors tube cement for its heavy consistency, and if needed, a very small amount of putty on the bottom. To make sure it's less of a problem, I'd use at least once coat of sealer-filler primer.

Charlie Larkin

• tim boyd changed the title to 3/23 Update: First look inside the box: AMT 1964 Cutlass Convertible by Round 2....