Model Cars Magazine Forum

25 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

I also find myself going to the parts box to eliminate the possibility of ending up with kits with missing parts.   

I don't seem to be able to build anything 100% box stock, even if it's just a change of wheels, but I must admit I'm trying to reduce the "lots of kits with missing parts" thing happening.

I recently robbed a Corvette ZR-1 of its engine. Rather than put it back in the box on the shelf and forget about it I chucked it together as a curbside build, good to have something a bit different in the cabinet.

I'm trying to maintain that policy going forwards - if I take the wheels from an otherwise unstarted kit then the donor will move up the queue.

If/when there comes a time in the future when I need to start getting rid of some stuff then it'd be helpful to have a few complete kits to ease the process......

46 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I'm trying to maintain that policy going forwards - if I take the wheels from an otherwise unstarted kit then the donor will move up the queue.

If I take parts from an otherwise complete kit, I put a note in the box. Usually on the back of an old business card.  Because I will not remember!

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I buy kits that I don't even particularly like, because they have good kitbashing parts.

I bought yet another AMT 66 Fairlane the last time HL had a clearance. No idea what I will do with it, but you can never have too many AMT 66 Fairlanes.

4 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I buy kits that I don't even particularly like, because they have good kitbashing parts.

A bad addiction?  If this is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Was making a joke about it sir. I buy hobby lobby kits for wheels tires once in a while..

20 hours ago, slusher said:

A very bad addiction, if you buy a kit just for parts you have it...

I've bought MANY kits just for parts. Particular favorites in this category include the AMT '72 Nova, the various Revell '69 Camaros, and the AMT Double Dragster. I bought a couple Tommy Ivo Showboats at Ollie's just because it looked like there would be a LOT of great parts of various kinds in there. 

I do a lot more bashing now than I used to a couple of years ago.

Although I don't think that it's "bashing" in the sense that most in this thread are thinking of.

My bashing consists of raiding factory stock chassis, engines and other parts for upgrading vintage annuals.

Right now I'm stealing a large portion of the chassis, engine bay, engine and interior parts from a Revell '68 Charger in order to upgrade an MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T.

I've really begun to enjoy these types of endeavors.

Steve

4 hours ago, Rodent said:

I bought yet another AMT 66 Fairlane the last time HL had a clearance. No idea what I will do with it, but you can never have too many AMT 66 Fairlanes.

For me it's AMT 1962 Pontiac Catalinas and Lindberg 1964 Mopars.

I've got a ton of Johan Mopars and AMT/MPC Pontiacs to upgrade! :P

Steve

It appears I have a pile of Pontiacs as well.  I have a number of beat-up built AMT early '60s Bonneville convertibles to kitbash into an ambulance or two.  On top of those I also picked up two Moebius '61 Pontiac Venturas in case those would be a better start.  I also have a Jimmy Flintstone '59 Pontiac ambulance body and two Trumpeter '60 Pontiacs.  It's a very complicated project, so everything has been held up for years.  Did Flintstone cast a '61 or '62 Pontiac ambulance body?

9 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I do a lot more bashing now than I used to a couple of years ago.

Although I don't think that it's "bashing" in the sense that most in this thread are thinking of.

My bashing consists of raiding factory stock chassis, engines and other parts for upgrading vintage annuals.

Right now I'm stealing a large portion of the chassis, engine bay, engine and interior parts from a Revell '68 Charger in order to upgrade an MPC 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T.

I've really begun to enjoy these types of endeavors.

Steve

You are WELL within the definition of kitbashing. B)

I used to think kit bashing was just plain nuts! How could anyone take two or more kits and just build one model with them? So wasteful! That was, until I did my first kitbash. I had a '64 Fairlane and an '87 pro street Thunderbird with lousy paint jobs. I never could get the side trim on the Fairlane painted to satisfy me. So, I crammed the pro street chassis under the Fairlane body and have been hooked ever since! What I enjoy most about it is I can make something no one else has or can buy. It's my creation, good, bad or ugly.

Edited by Plowboy

On 2/17/2021 at 9:54 AM, thomascoffey1959@gmail.com said:

I do buy kits for parts ,and I do have a lot of parts kits in my stash ,but they're labeled as such.  <snip>

I hear you. I would say at least a third of my stash was bought purely with the intentions of parting them out. I have multiples of the 60 Starliner because of the great engine, wheels and chassis stuff that can find their way into other projects. Last year, I bought every single Pontiac Polyglas Gasser reissue I found when they went on clearance, because of the great (three complete sets) of tires, including Tampo Polyglass tires, whitewalls, AND tampo printed Redlines. At less than $8/kit, how could I not!?