Model Cars Magazine Forum

Good beginner kits?

For what age? 

For a youngster, a simple snap kit will do. You can detail paint as desired and have a surprisingly good looking model.

For someone a bit older, one of the simpler Tamiya kits( usually these are re releases of kits from the 80s) is great starter. There aren't too may parts and the parts fit well.

Most tamiya kits are quite good, and go together without much issues. They require glue, but are typically far superior to the revell and amt quality. you are quite limited on selection and most tamiya kits do not have engine details or a hood that opens 

1 minute ago, afx said:

You liked the Owens Corning '68 Corvette enough to use it as your avatar, the Revell '68 Corvette kit is nicely engineered and goes together well.

That's cool! I didn't know that, I just typed in corvette for my avatar and picked this one! Now I gotta build it! :) 

5 minutes ago, afx said:

You liked the Owens Corning '68 Corvette enough to use it as your avatar, the Revell '68 Corvette kit is nicely engineered and goes together well.

Yup, my recommendation as well. I also find that most of the Monogram 1/24 scale muscle car kits go together without much fuss.

6 minutes ago, 69_Stingray said:

Nice!  Must've been some scratchbuilding involved?

Some but not much. 

• I corrected the roll cage to match the actual race car
  • Added some more detail to the interior and engine bay
  • Used aftermarket decals 

But that is about it. Revell has issued the '68 Corvette in multiple versions but they are all very similar and build up well. 

Edited by afx

19 minutes ago, Don Sikora II said:

I'd suggest the Revell SnapTite Max '57 Chevy, kit #85-1529. It's fairly simple, but accurate, and builds easily. This version of the basic kit includes both waterslide decals and peel & stick stickers.

Agreed. I've also built their Snapper '63 Corvettes and '70 Chevelle and they build up easily and accurately. 

Revell's '67 Chevelle SS396 is another good starter kit. 

I always liked the AMT/Ertl Snap Fast Plus kits (90s unassembled promos).

Quick, easy, sturdy and nice looking when finished. They also had a large selection of cars and trucks.

Although long out of production, prices are still cheap enough to buy for the newbies!

3 hours ago, Don Sikora II said:

I'd suggest the Revell SnapTite Max '57 Chevy, kit #85-1529. It's fairly simple, but accurate, and builds easily. This version of the basic kit includes both waterslide decals and peel & stick stickers.

I’ll agree with Don!  This and the two 1963 Corvettes in that series. Nicely detailed and proportioned, go together well.

These are the perfect canvas to practice paint and detailing. And you’ll have a pleasing result that won’t look out of place on a shelf of full detail models.

4 hours ago, Don Sikora II said:

These are nice kits to start with and still relatively cheap. If you have a hobby lobby stop at one when thy have he 40% off sale going on. Which might be next week. They might have the 57 chevy kit there. It looks like this. 

s-l1600.jpg