Model Cars Magazine Forum

Getting giant ads again

TonyK

Unfortunately ad blockers means we don't get the revenue we need to keep the site going. I have mixed feelings about the ads. Without them, we don't have a site. But, Google is getting worse on several fronts. It's been an ongoing problem.

Ideally, we'd be able to place model car ads on the site ourselves. It'd be a great way for kit and aftermarket manufacturers to reach the very people who want their prodcts the most. But we're not there yet.

We don't make any significant money on this site. It would be nice, but the revenue has just never been there. 

I usually don't notice the ads and understand the revenue they make and am fine with that. It's just strange when they are huge and I have to scroll down more than usual to read the topic. I'm not complaining about it but thought I'd point it out in case it was an easy fix or needed to be aware of.

3 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I tweaked the settings. We'll have to see if they addus giganticus goes away and stays gone. 

i dont want to even pretend its easy or that i even understand how web code works, but it would be cool if you could have an optional paid version of the forums to eliminate ads for the paid members to make up for the lost revenue for those members not seeing the ads. 

i hit this site constantly, and depending on the cost, i would surely pay say, 12 or 15 dollars a year. (not sure how much the ads make as i have never clicked on any myself) 

Edited by youpey

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah guys, I have had the big ads all over the place for the last week or so and you know what - I don't care.  I have no intention of buying their junk so I just scroll past. It really doesn't cause me anything more than a minor irritation and I think that is a small price to pay to give the moderators some peace - they have much better things to do, including building models!

Thank you moderators, you do a job that I will never have the skill set to do but this place runs so well, I have nothing but respect and admiration for you giving us such a great place to hang out.

Cheers

Alan

I wonder if it's a browser issue, or computer issue? I have a business

computer, not the normal home computer setup.

I use Chrome browser, and just have the intermittent small ads.

No ghosting or huge ads ever. Nothing blocking my view,

and adds don't seem to be getting worse on my computer.

Same as always.

Just a thought.

Dave

4 hours ago, carbuilder1950 said:

I wonder if it's a browser issue, or computer issue? I have a business

computer, not the normal home computer setup.

I use Chrome browser, and just have the intermittent small ads.

No ghosting or huge ads ever. Nothing blocking my view,

and adds don't seem to be getting worse on my computer.

Same as always.

Just a thought.

Dave

I'm using Chrome too and still get the large ads.