Model Cars Magazine Forum

At Walmart (at least one store)

My local Wal Mart had a small display of models but never refilled the display when they were sold so maybe it wasn't a success for them. They have also cut back on the die cast models in the 1/25th scale. I think it just depends on the market and whoever is in charge of ordering inventor. The big push now seems to be remote control cars and trucks. 

21 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Hmm... looks promising since I'm heading to Walmart for my weekly grocery shopping run tonight.

I see your info says Central NY. I checked the Colonie, NY Walmart. Nothing. Not that I need any. Trying to sell some off as it is. 

Edited by ewetwo

On 10/28/2022 at 3:43 PM, ewetwo said:

I see your info says Central NY. I checked the Colonie, NY Walmart. Nothing. Not that I need any. Trying to sell some off as it is. 

Colonie, NY isn’t Central N.Y. ..... anything Albany way and beyond eastward is considered downstate. Central N.Y. is any place from Utica to Syracuse. Oh yeah, it’s also called upstate NY. LOLOLOL!

1 hour ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Colonie, NY isn’t Central N.Y. ..... anything Albany way and beyond eastward is considered downstate. Central N.Y. is any place from Utica to Syracuse. Oh yeah, it’s also called upstate NY. LOLOLOL!

Thant's ok. I've driven to Hobby Lobby in Utica to check out their model supply. So I wasn't sure where you were but wanted to save you a trip. I have family that live in Baldwinsville. 

18 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

Yeah, except people in Rockland County consider anything north of them "upstate NY", so there are no hard and fast rules :P

Didn't even think to take a pic. They had 4 Coke branded vehicles, 77 Ford delivery van, 41 Plymouth, and the 55 Chevy Cameo, and the 60 Ranchero. Also the curbsides 64 Galaxie and 63 Chevy wagon along with the Snap Speed Racer car.

There were several other AMT kits that I don't recall and several Star Trek kits.

• 1 month later...

I stopped at the Walmart by me to see if they brought anything new in. The thieves had already hit some of the kits so beware. They cut the shrink wrap around the bottom of the box so it looks sealed. But parts are missing. So if you're buying some. Make sure to check. One of the reasons my Micheals stopped carrying kits. One of the Hobby Lobby installed camera's in the model aisle to keep a check on the kits.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I stopped at the Walmart by me to see if they brought anything new in. The thieves had already hit some of the kits so beware. They cut the shrink wrap around the bottom of the box so it looks sealed. But parts are missing. So if you're buying some. Make sure to check. One of the reasons my Micheals stopped carrying kits. One of the Hobby Lobby installed camera's in the model aisle to keep a check on the kits.

That’s a new one to me. My Walmart hasn’t had any kits in the last couple years. Perhaps it’s a regional thing? No cameras in model kit aisle at my Hobby Lobby. Michael’s isn’t known to stock a whole lot of model kits - at least not at my local Michael’s store. 

46 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

That’s a new one to me. My Walmart hasn’t had any kits in the last couple years. Perhaps it’s a regional thing? No cameras in model kit aisle at my Hobby Lobby. Michael’s isn’t known to stock a whole lot of model kits - at least not at my local Michael’s store. 

It has happened to me at Micheals and at Hobby lobby. I always check the shrink wrap when I buy now.

Edited by ewetwo

On 12/22/2022 at 4:14 PM, ewetwo said:

That is just pathetic that someone would return the kit for a refund after taking parts.  The least they could do is buy the brand new kit and part is out on Ebay - which I also do not understand why someone spend time creating listings and shipping parts to make a few bucks.

Local W.Mart here had the remains of two displays placed "back to back",  lotta left over stuff, but still some desired kits.  Most are priced out at $27.97 which is better than the "standard" H.L. prices, and better than the H/town I checked....   

DJ