Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 October 2021 Product Spotlight

GMP440

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Why? :unsure:

I have two of the '90s issues, which also include the bike. Anything new in this issue I need? 

Just because the Revell Model A kits seem like they’re a hot ticket right now, and having a comparible product on the shelves before the 30 Coupe arrives (and with more building options in one box) will probably net them a bunch of sales.

Not sure how this kit compares to the Revell, but if your competitor is doing well with a hot rod kit, seems smart to have your own hot rod kit readily available too

EDIT; if you’ve got these to hand I’d love to hear your opinion on them - I can see me building a few of these…

Edited by CabDriver
  • Like 1

Re: the '37 Chevy.

clear1x1.gif
*Pre-Orders bill in advance and orders with pre-ordered items will be held until all items can ship. Expected arrival dates are estimates and subject to change. If you are in a hurry for currently available items, please order future items separately.

The AMT 1937 Chevy Coupe from more modern era tooling is a modeler's favorite. We have confirmed with AMT that all the original parts are in the kit, so we actually have a (4 'n1). Here's the deal, the instructions on this one only provide building steps for the Bonneville Racer version. But, a note in the box references the AMT-Round2 websIte and provides a link to download instructions for building the other versions.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, alexis said:

Re: the '37 Chevy.

clear1x1.gif
*Pre-Orders bill in advance and orders with pre-ordered items will be held until all items can ship. Expected arrival dates are estimates and subject to change. If you are in a hurry for currently available items, please order future items separately.

The AMT 1937 Chevy Coupe from more modern era tooling is a modeler's favorite. We have confirmed with AMT that all the original parts are in the kit, so we actually have a (4 'n1). Here's the deal, the instructions on this one only provide building steps for the Bonneville Racer version. But, a note in the box references the AMT-Round2 websIte and provides a link to download instructions for building the other versions.

Ohh - interesting!  Not familiar with this kit…what are the other versions that you can build?

If the kit contains the parts from previous versions you can build it stock, custom and a really cool gasser/drag version. This also applies to the convertible version as well. The Bonneville version has some body panels exclusive to that release and not included in later reissues until this upcoming release.

51qWvo24sJL._AC_SX425_.jpg

090706022-vi.jpg

Edited by Phirewriter
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Phirewriter said:

If the kit contains the parts from previous versions you can build it stock, custom and a really cool gasser/drag version. This also applies to the convertible version as well. The Bonneville version has some body panels exclusive to that release and not included in later reissues.

51qWvo24sJL._AC_SX425_.jpg

090706022-vi.jpg

Well, that’s unfortunate…I thought I was only buying one of these, but I guess now I’m buying four 🤪

Thanks for the info!

12 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Why? :unsure:

I have two of the '90s issues, which also include the bike. Anything new in this issue I need? 

Nothing you need, but golly gees-o-flip, the box art is beautiful! Much like the last release of the '25 T double kit, I didn't need the parts, but love the box illustrations.

23 hours ago, Dave Van said:

The LSR parts in the 37 Chevy were a one time only thing. So I am glad to see them tooled up for the reissue. I needed the Chevy to go with Studie kit.

Where there any special parts in the Studebaker?

51 minutes ago, ss2000 said:

Where there any special parts in the Studebaker?

Only the Minilite wheels were added (replacing the original mag wheels).  But the Minilites were in the next couple of issues also.

The original issue of the Chevy (and the Salty Dog issue Studebaker) included only the parts needed to build the version shown on the box.  The new issue Chevy will have all of the stock/custom/drag parts, but you'll have to download the earlier issue instruction sheet to use those.

On 10/2/2021 at 8:05 AM, Classicgas said:

If I didn't already have a 37 chevy that would be on my list, but count me in eventually for 4 of the Model A's, and the Nova wagon.

I built the model A in 2000 the truck to match the box art so I need to build the woodie version..

On 10/1/2021 at 7:49 PM, CabDriver said:

Just because the Revell Model A kits seem like they’re a hot ticket right now, and having a comparible product on the shelves before the 30 Coupe arrives (and with more building options in one box) will probably net them a bunch of sales.

Not sure how this kit compares to the Revell, but if your competitor is doing well with a hot rod kit, seems smart to have your own hot rod kit readily available too

EDIT; if you’ve got these to hand I’d love to hear your opinion on them - I can see me building a few of these…

It's decent kit. Nice to have it molded in white, which I think is a first in it's long history. The tooling actually started as the 28 Sedan, but that kit only got one issue before it was changed into this woody/pickup kit.

Take note that there is no separate frame on this one, the detail is molded into the fender unit. The front axle is kind overly beefy too, but passable if detail painted. 

Really wish they had brought back the Hot Curl figure and surfboard with this reissue. Would have looked great next to it again after a looong absence

Edited by Mr. Metallic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

It's decent kit. Nice to have it molded in white, which I think is a first in it's long history. The tooling actually started as the 28 Sedan, but that kit only got one issue before it was changed into this woody/pickup kit.

Take note that there is no separate frame on this one, the detail is molded into the fender unit. The front axle is kind overly beefy too, but passable if detail painted. 

Really wish they had brought back the Hot Curl figure and surfboard with this reissue. Would have looked great next to it again after a looong absence

Interesting - thanks for the review!

Bet it would kitbash nicely with the Revell Model A frames, for those so inclined...

17 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Interesting - thanks for the review!

Bet it would kitbash nicely with the Revell Model A frames, for those so inclined...

41 minutes ago, alexis said:

Jim, not sure how well it would kitbash. I think there would be serious fit issues with the body and fender Frame Units. I'd get out parts and try, but, my Model A kits have all been sold off.

You have to remember that the "new" Revell model A frames are stretched slightly over stock. That's why none of the available fender units fit them. 

However, the the AMT 29 Pickup/Woody parts practically drop on the fender/frame assembly from the AMT 29 Roadster kit (the one that used to be the double kit with the AlaKart) right @Dave Darby?

• Like 1

Now, that would make sense, Craig.

And the AMT '26 Roadster is out there in fairly large numbers. Most Recently in the horrible "Mod Rod" version where exactly the wrong parts were re-tooled. But, the kit is a goldmine of period parts, and has a truly Awesome Decal Sheet, especially if you are into T.R.O.G. Builds, Beach Racers or Rat Rods.

This would be one way to possibly get the all Chromed Flathead engine from the Woody into the Roadster with out too much work.

• Like 2