Model Cars Magazine Forum

Heil garbage truck, 1970s

In honor of the upcoming Garwood refuse truck, I give you an old build of mine, a Heil garbage unit. I had heard of the "phantom" Garwood release years ago, and I was convinced it would never happen. I preferred the look of the Heil unit anyway, so I built my own. This build is at least 15 years old, but still survives in my showcase. Everything works...the doors open, the rear area scoops, the ram compacts, etc. The features are useless, of course, but nothing looks like an operating mechanism more than a mechanism that actually operates. I was going to weather the exterior more, but I didn't know how at the time, and just never revisited the project.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

trash (2).JPG

trash (3).JPG

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Doug 1061 said:

Very nice.  I owned a trash company years ago,  started with an  IH Cargostar with  Heil 4000 like that.   The truck was great, packer not so much.   Did you build this from blueprints or eyeball engineering?  Either way great job all around.  

First of all, thanks everyone for the positive comments. To answer the question, I found a discarded body in a friend's junkyard. I took pictures and measured dimensions, and made the model off of that. The cab choice is what I remember from our trash pickup service when I was a teen. i still remember my friends' family getting a Lincoln that cost over $10.000. I just couldn't grasp such an astronomical figure for a CAR! How times change.