Model Cars Magazine Forum

William Shatner to take off into space at 1000

SfanGoch

After a couple delays they finally got the launch off.

Already bored with it all.

Just millionaires playing with expensive toys and catering to those with deep pockets to take a giant (dangerous) carnival ride.

Has nothing really to do with space exploration as far as I'm concerned.

Think how much good could be done with the money spent right here on the planet where we have veterans living on the street and homeless children that they could be helping.

8 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

Has nothing really to do with space exploration as far as I'm concerned.

It's a start for civilian/commercial space exploration. A breath of fresh air after decades of no innovation from NASA.

10 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

Think how much good could be done with the money spent right here on the planet where we have veterans living on the street and homeless children that they could be helping.

I'm a vet. It's not Jeff Bezos', or any other person in the same category, responsibility to address these problems. Call your reps and ask them why they ignore them.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

It's a start for civilian/commercial space exploration. A breath of fresh air after decades of no innovation from NASA.

I'm a vet. It's not Jeff Bezos', or any other person in the same category, responsibility to address these problems. Call your reps and ask them why they ignore them.

You believe they are doing this on their own dime?

Musk’s Tesla and SpaceX have received nearly $5 billion in government aid over the years in various forms—grants, environmental credits, tax breaks, discounted loans, and more—while Amazon received more than $3.7 billion in taxpayer subsidies at the federal level alone.

If the human race keeps expanding and more and more we use up earth’s resources, we’ll have to look to space for resources to keep this planet going. While all this looks like expensive fun, hopefully one day it will lead to an ability to keep this planet and her people going. As Captain Kirk used to say “Space, the final frontier”. Welcome back to Earth, Captain.

Still my favourite line from any Star Trek… “Are you from outer space? No, I’m from Iowa, I only work in outer space.” I’m glad Bill got there in real life…

.. not convinced that it has much to tell us about further exploration and exploitation of space, though, and it’s going to be a long time if ever before space becomes a net source of resources for Earth rather than a drain on them.  A self sustaining Mars colony would probably cost as much blood and treasure and scientific breakthroughs as a safe reliable fusion reactor, and I know which one I’d rather mankind had…

best,

M.

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade, and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..." or words to that effect...

Having a long term, big picture goal to accomplish just might take a lot of peoples' minds off of more petty, self-centered pursuits, and get more people pulling in the same direction...

31 minutes ago, BlackSheep214 said:

IBTL... In Before The Lock.  LOL!!!

Oh believe me, this is on the radar. lolz

Keep discussing space, keep discussing exploration, keep discussing Star Trek, keep government and funding out of this thread and we'll all be just fine.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade, and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..." or words to that effect...

Having a long term, big picture goal to accomplish just might take a lot of peoples' minds off of more petty, self-centered pursuits, and get more people pulling in the same direction...

I am reminded...

One of my fav bands put this song out a few years ago.

2 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

They'd say that the convex shape of the observation windows distorted what they saw.

Ah, then they would need to go for a space walk without a helmet! :D

On a serious note, why those same windows do not seem to distort, add curvature to the horizon when still on earth (or at low altitude)?  I know, I'm trying to apply logic here. Sorry! :blink:

It was good to see this happen.

It may not have served any practical purpose (that we know of), but somethings should be done, just to say you've done them. This was one of those things. It was inspirational and a great payback to Bill Shatner for all the interest he has brought to "Space" for the last  55 years.

As George Mallory said. When asked why he wanted to climb Everest, his response: "Because it's there."

Does anyone else here know anyone that has $250,000 burning a hole in their pocket to spend on an afternoon outing to outer space? I'm glad that Kirk got a free ride, but this is when you know you just have too much money. 

Does anyone else here know that NASA was paying Russia $90 million per astronaut to send them to the ISS because it foolishly retired the shuttle and left our space program without a suitable replacement? If not for SpaceX, Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic, manned space research and innovation would be still mired in the protracted moribundity exhibited by NASA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, espo said:

Does anyone else here know anyone that has $250,000 burning a hole in their pocket to spend on an afternoon outing to outer space? I'm glad that Kirk got a free ride, but this is when you know you just have too much money. 

There are probably those who would say that what we expend on OUR hobby is a waste of time and money and so forth. :unsure:

I learned a long time ago not to base my happiness on the fact that other kids could have more expensive toys. I've learned to make the most of what I have to work with, and find joy in it. Model on, everyone! B)

2 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

If not for SpaceX, Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic, manned space research and innovation would be still mired in the protracted moribundity exhibited by NASA.

...And of those, SpaceX is the only one with an expressed mission to explore space, earn knowledge and advance the human race. The others, at least today, are just recreational tourism.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

If not for SpaceX, Blue Origin and Virgin Galactic, manned space research and innovation would be still mired in the protracted moribundity exhibited by NASA.

Credit where credit’s due: don’t forget these guys: https://www.ulalaunch.com/

Currently doing most of the _serious_  US space activity…

best,

M.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

There are probably those who would say that what we expend on OUR hobby is a waste of time and money and so forth. :unsure:

I learned a long time ago not to base my happiness on the fact that other kids could have more expensive toys. I've learned to make the most of what I have to work with, and find joy in it. Model on, everyone! B)

INDEED!!!