Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Revell '66 Malibu SS 2 'n 1

Casey

Monogram never offered this kit as a stock version.  As for it being hard to build, one guy I know who has bought a bunch of collections over the years has, for a long time, seldom bought one that didn't have at least one of these Chevelles in it.  They wouldn't have sold so many, over such a long time, if nobody had been buying them!

I would be a buyer if it was based on the later stock SS396 tool. The body proportions and the chunky nature of the chassis details leave me uninterested. That said I'm sure they will sell a ton of them and I'm glad for those who do love this kit will have another chance to build it. 

22 minutes ago, Casey said:

To those who know about historically significant street machines, it does plenty. *ehem*

Dobbertin’s-Chevrolet-Nova-SS.jpg

One of my favorite hot rods of all time! I hope to build a very similar model in the next year, though I will be leaving the '80s graphics where they belong--in the '80s! B)

• Like 2

I'll have to get at least one copy of this child-hood (hyphenated for effect) favourite. I last built one in 1985 (high school) ; it was the red version with better wheels and a different scoop. 

Hopefully this 2-in-1 will include the not-Centerline wheels (Cragar S/ST ?) , and better tyres. 

4 hours ago, larman said:

This one is like the Badman, not very good, but a fan favorite. I guess they both capture the era in an almost cartoony way.

At least Badman--and the '69 Camaro--have one piece bodies instead of two ill-fitting pieces, and roofs that aren't caved it. :lol:

On 12/30/2021 at 8:26 PM, Snake45 said:

I send up a special prayer for all those who will buy and subsequently attempt to actually build this wretched backbirth. ;)

On short notice, tto hard to get it out tonight.

I molded in the teardrop scoop from the 66 Ford Galaxie XL kit.

20211231_223801-1.jpg

2 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Is it that bad then? I recently picked up one of the Revell-Monogram issues of the black version - sounds like it's best to go in the way I'd have done back in the '80s, just try and enjoy it for what it is.

It's only bad if you expect more out of it than what it is. I think the overall fit of the parts is pretty good, or at least it was when I built one like 25 years ago. There's one really important part to get right or the thing won't sit level to save your life. The body shell and firewall need to be dead straight when you glue them together and the two pieces that are the front of the frame need to be cleaned up well along with the holes in the firewall so they sit nice a parallel. If those front frame pieces get out of whack the front axle won't sit level. It's not hard, it's just something to be mindful of.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The original "red" version had slotted wheels.  They are very nice.  Other good parts in this kit (especially for their time) include the rear suspension parts, hood scoops (both versions), rear axle, and Lakewood scatter shield.  Front axle is good too, just remove the molded-as-a-unit front shock absorbers which are strangely located.

If you are expecting modern accuracy and detail, you will be sorely disappointed.  This is one of those "accept it as it is, nostalgia exercise" kits; nothing more, nothing less.