Model Cars Magazine Forum

LIVE! DESERT SCALE CLASSIC 18 LIVE!

Danno

One of the most amazing pieces there was this supercharged, twin turbocharged 1/4 scale Hemi. It started out as a kit (I think it was a Hawk kit) and of that kit, only the block and heads are original; everything else, and I mean everything - was scratch built from numerous materials with some parts machined and others cast aluminum. The builder and his wife were a charming couple in their 50s or 60s, and both were deaf and possibly mute, as neither talked. We communicated with a pad and pen, and traded info on Facebook. He also showed us 1:24 scale wheels he made, and the drag guys were blown away by those too.

IMG_0324.jpeg

IMG_0326.jpeg

IMG_0327.jpeg

IMG_0328.jpeg

IMG_0329.jpeg

IMG_0330.jpeg

IMG_0331.jpeg

IMG_0335.jpeg

IMG_0323.jpeg

Excellent photos, thank you for sharing them with us. I was at the contest early Saturday and had a chance to see most of the entries. I knew John would win best in Show,, his builds are always amazing. Congratulations to John for another well deserved BiS.

• Like 1

Great pictures and it looks like there were a lot of amazing models!  Always a fun show with great people, fair judging and wonderful hospitality.  Hopefully i can get back there next year.  Thanks for the pictures!

They came to Phoenix a number of years ago and Wes took best of show with his mini cooper. The hemi wasn't quite done. I f there was a long distance award 

he would have beaten me by only a few hundred miles since I came from Tulsa Ok. just south of his home.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...