Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 impala custom for Rick

gseeds

This Is a build I started a while back and just finished up as a tribute build for a buddy of mine Rick Grant from Canada, some of you may remember him from coffin corner as Krazy Rick , Rick was a awesome builder and painter, I met Rick on line about 15 years ago on line and our mutual love for custom paint and model car building and everything cool we became fast friends , Rick passed away this past November and will be missed

Here’s my Rick grant tribute , a 65 custom, wanting it to look like a late 60’s early 70’s show car, I started with custom parts from an 60’s amt issue of the 65 impala customized by gene windfleld and adding them to the later monogram 65 impala kit, once I figured out the front in I thought it needed to be chopped, once chopped I thought the rear window looked so big so I filled it, shaved everything else that didn’t need to be there and got her under primer, being an early custom I knew it needed some metal flake! So silver flake it is ! Then two shades of candy blue topped off with a 2 k clear coat, I’m glad Rick got to see the paint as I painted it about a year ago and sent him pictures, then I decided to build a lighted car show display in honor of ricks car show diorama that he built, since the hood is clear I knew the big block Chevy motor should be pretty detailed so it is ! plus the engine bay itself should stand out also so it’s metal flake gold with a candy tangerine fade with chrome here and there, interior matches engine bay , in all the years I’ve known Rick I had no idea what he looked like or even his age, but when I got his memorial in my email after he passed there was a picture of Rick so I decided to add a figure of him next to the car, I think he would have gotten a kick out of that , thanks guys!

BBD64C71-5A12-421B-A3F1-B220149B31AA.jpeg

9BC23AD8-EF8E-4E45-BCDD-08B42E701454.jpeg

D43AD8BF-ED26-427F-8B2E-6A107C1CDD71.jpeg

B5807468-1AB6-4870-A8DC-C5FF10D4FEEF.jpeg

BEE98F19-F56B-416E-A253-DF09909B64DE.jpeg

A4632589-6535-4C73-B670-6F7F956CB0BD.jpeg

6CCA5733-51D5-4F3A-99BA-2AB9A09BC3A9.jpeg

67F9E442-A315-4317-8C98-F2CCD05FFDF6.jpeg

7593EB2A-53C9-4B74-98B6-D619CEC88455.jpeg

9EE7D3B9-9704-45D6-96A2-64B42202BFBB.jpeg

42D72FDC-1326-49E7-BBC1-FD952B897B05.jpeg

Edited by gseeds
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Looks better than mine Gary. 

I should have just flew mine into the wall on one of the occasions I wanted to ssssssssssssooooo much.

Lol ! No way , yours looks awesome and after seeing yours it pushed me to finish mine, your build is the reason my engine looks like it does , I thought yours looked perfect and has the look I was after.

Beautiful paint in tribute to your friend.  Beautiful build shows your great skills at model building, especially the custom bodywork and execution of the details.  And that engine looks so cool under the hood.  

I would never attempt such a custom model.   But maybe I should try with your inspiration.

Thank you for sharing.  I love this forum.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, paul alflen said:

That car and the story should be on the cover of the next issue of ModelCarsMag! editors take note of this!

Thanks Paul that’s the most awesome comment I’ve ever gotten on any site , that would be so cool, not so much for me but for my buddy Rick ! A true modeler for life ! The guy blead plastic! Would be nice to honor all the modelers we’ve lost over the years.