Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Chevy Nova SS

ModelcarJR

This is the new Moebius kit.  Dupli-Color Bahama Blue Metallic exterior and semi-gloss black interior. Whitewalls are decals added from the parts box.  I am somewhat disappointed with the kit. See WIP for more details. But its done and thanks for looking! 

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

I still need to add 283 decals for the valve covers (from the decal stash). 

enhance

• Like 5

Nice looking Chevy II Nova.  Well done.

I read your WIP thread, and it looks like you overcame the issues quite nicely.  I've heard that the wheels don't fit on the axles well (very loose).  Did you find this to be true?

Edited by Jim B

Thanks, All! I appreciate your comments!  Jim, I'm not sure about the wheel fit.  I always sand off the keepers on the axles and then super glue the wheel onto the axle. I have broken too may axles over the years trying to force a wheel onto an axle.  There are few recoveries from broken axles or kingpins. 

Roger, yes, there is a gap that is more predominant on the right side. Maybe I didn't scrape enough plastic off the hood support edge or maybe the cutouts for the headlight on the hood need to be rounded out a little better. I'm not sure what the problem is but I can't resolve it now.  

I am a little critical of this kit and I understand that Moebius is a relatively new company providing new tools for the hobby and I understand that they need a little more for their kits to cover their start-up costs.  Many of their other offerings are very good. Maybe my memory is off or maybe I remember the 63 Nova or saw more of them and maybe they were different from the 64 and 65. But it still looks boxy to me.  If I had painted it black it might resemble a London cab.  All of their engines lack spark plug detail of even room to add spark plug wires. Finally, errors in the instructions, and poor fitting and registering decals are always a pet peeve of mine.  But I enjoy building, even if its a challenging kit!