Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Rumour Mill"

Since it was alluded to on another thread, I wanted to start this one as a one place to throw rumors around instead of derailing other threads.

Starting with the one Steve G. mentioned about. Let the guesses begin. 

On 6/8/2022 at 12:19 PM, SteveG said:

For those who think the regular car and truck kit team missed out because of this, there's still one more announcement coming soon of a cloned vintage kit project, we just got the first round mockups for it last week.  We've been trying to get it done for 2022 but I'd say early 2023 is more likely.  It has to stay under wraps for now but there's clues out there.

-Steve

On 6/9/2022 at 9:19 AM, niteowl7710 said:

And here ladies and germs we have the results of asking the right questions. Answers and clarity...instead of bickering like school children arguing about wasting plastic pellets.

On 6/8/2022 at 1:04 PM, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Cool!  Thankya Steve.  😎

As so many here have already, I would bring up the Bluesmobile Monaco - would that be one for your team or Sci-Fi?  Either department would be operating more on a pop culture subject if they took this on, but perhaps there's enough pattern groundwork in the diecast to make it feasible?

It does keep coming up...

21 hours ago, PintoKING said:

quote: 

For those who think the regular car and truck kit team missed out because of this, there's still one more announcement coming soon of a cloned vintage kit project, we just got the first round mockups for it last week.  We've been trying to get it done for 2022 but I'd say early 2023 is more likely.  It has to stay under wraps for now but there's clues out there.

-Steve

end quote.

My personal guess for that new-cloned kit is....   MPC 1968-9 Impala!

Other possibilities:

AMT 1960 Ford F-100 pickup

AMT 1961-63 Ford F-100 unibody pickup

MPC 1978 Pontiac Ventura

MPC 1972 Pontiac Grand-Prix

MPC 1972 Mercury Montego

But this is getting way off-topic!

Maybe we should start a new topic just for this.  🙂

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

I can't take the credit for this last one, it's John G's project but I'm all-in on the choice.  I'll drop one further hint, it's not a Factory Stock model and there's clues in one of Casey's older threads on what it could be. 

-Steve 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

"Not factory stock"

Here's a few that have had only one release, and are now high dollar collector  kits, hmm, their  all MPC (maybe lost tooling?) . Bed Buggy was announced in  2017 ,still waiting on that one. But it's probably a Funny Car , those are really popular lately.

I dig Show Cars cause I worked for a ISCA agent ( 69-72) as a teenager , moving cars on & off show trailers , and airbrushing t-shirts .

126462695_1_x.webp

1fe9f5d65717587f98f80c94771d01c7.jpg

charger_iii_big.jpg

cosma_ray_big.jpg

superteen_firebird_big.jpg

mailtruck_big.jpg

R2IGMPCBedBuggy.jpg.969d099a0f6c2f4ee406eca0c355b4dd.jpg

• Like 2

Two Videos from a Recent Show. Note carefully what is really said by both factory reps. A lot of fudging about  timing (for good reasons, we all understand) but some hard nuggets too. That '81 Chevy truck is just the first in a proposed series, and he states that there 3 versions of the new Bronco planned.

Listen carefully to what the AMT / Round2 Rep actually says... He gives up more information than I have heard mentioned here.

and Moebius. Some Neat Timeline Info.

And, a last minute thought. I will take a chance and guess that the Ex-MPC Toyota Supra will be molded in Colour. Most likely, the blue is came in. Not Info, just a guess.

Edited by stavanzer

So he said it'll be a clone of a vintage kit, and it's not going to be stock. So that means it's a kit that's been lost and hasn't been issued in a long time. Not stock means it's not going to be an annual. 

Barris? Dean Jeffries perhaps? Carl Casper?

At first I heard the rep talking about the new Bronco coming out in late 2022/early 2023, but that's not a vintage tool and it's replica stock, so that doesn't match.

Non-stock vinltage kit.....

I'd say MPC Mako-Shark II, last available as "Custom Corvette" in the mid to late 1980s, returned to original status.

Or the MPC Cosma-Ray Corvette.

Or MPC "Superfly" Pontiac

Or AMT Matador AMT/X, last available around 1977.

What else?  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

Did the original Barris kits include a can of Bondo for that authentic finish?

No way, Bondo wasn't around then. 2 sticks of lead for that realistic touch! 😅

Speaking of Barris - I then thought of the Hirohata Merc, but that was never a kit.

But it SHOULD be!!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bisc63 said:

I truly hope it's the Cosma Ray, we don't have enough of the better-built true custom classics. Please, please, please be the Cosma Ray!  And note to CanCon, Tom's name is Tim!😁

Gotcha ,Dale. 😉

Edited by Can-Con
  • Haha 1

We also know the original MPC Challenger body ended up as a funny car.

Think a couple of us would be happy to see this.  Wouldn't be too hard to have separate front/rear facsias to allow all years.  Again lots of driver/sponsor options with multiple years.

mpc-25-dick-landy-dodge-challenger_1_40d67b3cb0cafc24bb8a555e64097d20.jpg

• Like 3