Model Cars Magazine Forum

Super Gas '77 Vega--Completed! (11/12)

21 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

The shifter, linkages, and seat look great and I understand what your saying about the belts. In the aircraft the belts hange fairly straight  and flatter so the stiffness was less of a problem for me but visually they are hard to beat.

Thanks, Ian. They do look really nice! Just a little more work than the "lead" foil I generally use. This set didn't come with an anti-sub belt, so I made it from a piece of an old toothpaste tube. I used a 6" bastard, and rolled it over a round handle, to give it some texture to try to match the Eduard belts. It worked out pretty decently. I'll post photos, with the next update.

8 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Great job so far.

Thanks, Ron.

Here's the anti-sub belt and harness clasp. As I stated above, I textured a piece of old toothpaste tube by rolling it over an aluminum rod with a 6" fine mill bastard, in order to achieve some sort of texture similar to the Eduard belts. It's not as fine, but, it's not horrible. Typically, I use a material without texture, because the weave of harness material is so fine , that it would be barely there, in 1/25 scale. Also pictured are the beginnings of the gauge panel. Bezels are 1/8" aluminum rod that I bored, shaped, and cut to length. Gauges (not pictured) were sized using Word, and printed on photo paper. Lenses will be punched from clear sheet. Comments, etc. are always welcome. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--Anti-Sub Belt Installed; Gauge Panel Begun (09/25)
15 hours ago, majel said:

Your level of detail on this model is fantastic Daniel.  Love the linkage and the belts, very impressive!

Thank you, kindly, Jim. I appreciate it!

Here's an update with the dash/gauge panel. Dash is Krylon Semi-Flat Black. Gauges are from Auto Meter's website. I sized them, and printed them on photo paper. I'm currently working on the switches, and starter button. I'm hoping to get the interior wrapped up in the next couple of days. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

Well, the dash is almost done. I use almost, because, now that it's really big, I can see that one of my bezels is out-of-round, and will likely need to be replaced, since I thought I had it "straightened" out. I'll wipe up some of the ink wash around the switches. The discs are punched from aluminum duct tape, while the toggles are brass wire. The starter button is a short length of .030"-ish aluminum wire; I polished the end of it using a 4-way nail board. I'm beginning work on the steering wheel, which is a Detail Master item. Your comments are always welcomed. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0018cr.jpg

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--Gauge Panel Finished (09/26)
4 hours ago, iBorg said:

KILLER and inspirational!

Thanks, Mike. I appreciate that!

3 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Oh man this build has got me written all over it.Excellent job so far.And that dash is coming out great.Just like i said,keep those pics coming.

I know this is the kind of stuff you like. Glad you're enjoying it, Ron. Thanks!

16 hours ago, Codi said:

You've been busy Daniel and have made some great progress.  I'm jealous.  cheers

I have been busy! I've been in one of those "places" where it's just kind of been flowing, and keeping me excited about the project. I should be on to the body, within days, now! I've been perusing all my mid-'80s magazines for paint ideas. All that's decided so far, is that it will be Mulsanne Blue, and have graphics!😁 I hope you're able to get a handle on your health problems. Arthritis is truly a bane of modelers. Get well soon, my friend!

21 hours ago, afx said:

Great looking project Daniel.

Thanks, JC! I have always loved Vegas.

18 hours ago, Ian McLaren said:

The dash and instrument panelooks great and very believable. Looking forward to your next update.

Thanks, Ian. I'm getting very close to having the interior finished. I was planning to use a Detail Master steering wheel, but I really didn't like the way it turned out, so I ended up using one from one of Monogram's Pro Stock kits. I lost some time, trying to get satisfied with the DM one. I'm about to make the door handles. I'm doing the spring-loaded ones that protrude from the door panel, inside the window, that the driver just pushes forward, to release the catch. I should have the interior done by Monday, or so!

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--Interior Completed (10/01)

I got started on the body work. I'm doing a fiberglass front end, so I sanded off the side marker lights. I also scribed in the @Snake45lines, below and behind the door. I had ordered and received a sheet of PET. To test it, I thermo-formed a windshield. It worked out pretty nicely! I began grinding off the gas cap and wipers, as well. I got out the tripod, and took some better shots of the completed interior. I'm pretty happy with the interior and with the pictures! Your opinions are always welcome. Thanks for lookin'!

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

DSC_0018cr.jpg

DSC_0019cr.jpg

DSC_0024cr.jpg

DSC_0027cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59
  • Like 1

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--Interior Completed, New Photos, Body Work Begun (10/02)

Nice work all around Daniel, this will be the most detailed curbside model car on the planet ! 👍

I was wondering what type of heat source and approximate temperature you used to thermoform your windshield ?

By the way, sorry for my lack of comments on your thread (and on the forum), this time of year is very busy for me with all the fall chores... I can't wait to get it over with and get back to my favorite hobby.  You inspire me my friend ! 😊

On 10/2/2022 at 5:27 AM, Ian McLaren said:

Great job on the interior, truly a time capsule of the early Super Gas days!

Thanks, Ian.  I sure am glad I kept all those old magazines!

23 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

Nice work all around Daniel, this will be the most detailed curbside model car on the planet ! 👍

I was wondering what type of heat source and approximate temperature you used to thermoform your windshield ?

By the way, sorry for my lack of comments on your thread (and on the forum), this time of year is very busy for me with all the fall chores... I can't wait to get it over with and get back to my favorite hobby.  You inspire me my friend ! 😊

Thank you, Francis. I kind of figured you were busy, given the time of year. Glad to hear from you!

I used an alcohol lamp for the thermo-forming. I just heat the stuff until it softens until I think it will form. There's no science to my method, at all. I've had success with it, but, I have ruined some plastic, too.😁

I'll be looking forward to seeing your next creation! Thanks kindly for your support, my friend!

Here are the pieces for the tach assembly. The gauge face is printed from Auto Meter's site. I turned the body on the lathe. The base is soldered brass angle. Here's the scoop I've been working on. I built it from .015" stock--kit scoops are too thick! I'm not sure if I'll go with this one, or try something else. Comments, questions and critiques are welcome and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

DSC_0002cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0015cr.jpg

DSC_0016cr.jpg

• Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--Tach, Hood Scoop (10/06)
  • Straightliner59 changed the title to Super Gas '77 Vega--Completed! (11/12)