Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Chevy Pickup Test Shot

martinfan5

6 hours ago, SteveG said:

What's left of the OBS Chevy Pickup tooling was turned into the familiar monster truck issued a number of times.   

-Steve

How is that possible when the SS 454 was issued in '91 and the monster truck was issued in '90? I have the second issue of the longbed that's dated '89, the original version of the USA-1 dated '90 and the SS 454 that's dated '91. 

Anyone have the Sportside kit to check the date on it? I was thinking it came after the SS 454. I had one. But, traded it away.

Edited by Plowboy

15 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

How is that possible when the SS 454 was issued in '91 and the monster truck was issued in '90? I have the second issue of the longbed that's dated '89, the original version of the USA-1 dated '90 and the SS 454 that's dated '91. 

Anyone have the Sportside kit to check the date on it? I was thinking it came after the SS 454. I had one. But, traded it away.

Yeah I’m pretty sure it came out last, it was also rereleased a few times in the late 90s.

1 hour ago, Plowboy said:

Just checked mine, dated 1990.

16 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Steve, could you at least tell us if it will have clear headlight lenses this time? 

I'm sure that's something we could probably figure out for our selves anyway when we see a pic of the front of the truck.

Pet peeve of mine too Steve M., I'm very glad the Kats at Round2 also see that it lifts a kit up a few notches, from toy to scale model, one of the reasons as a kid I liked Monogram better.

Keep up the great work Steve G.

On 10/14/2022 at 7:10 PM, Plowboy said:

I remember buying the step side version of the kit in the early 2000s when Walmart was selling three kit packs for 12 or 15 bucks. I got rid of a half dozen not knowing these kits would become hard to find. 

41 minutes ago, Motor City said:

What is OBS and what the heck could have happened to the promo tooling that Steve Goldman referred to?

OBS= 'Old Body Style'....nickname for the '88-98 Chevy/GMC pickup (the GMT-400 generation).

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Motor City said:

What is OBS and what the heck could have happened to the promo tooling that Steve Goldman referred to?

Jim, 

In this case the promo and the kits shared many of the same parts including body and interior. a number of parts were either permanently changed or lost when it was converted to the Monster truck kit.  With all that being said and the popularity of the Monster truck kit, it makes senses to create a new tool which I hope to expand upon. 

-Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, SteveG said:

In [thecase [of the 1988 ad seq. Chevrolet C-1500 kits] the promo and the kits shared many of the same parts including body and interior.

The most obvious examples are the fashion in which the interior tub mounts to the firewall, and the manner in which the bed is affixed to the rear of the cab.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2022 at 11:29 AM, SteveG said:

Jim, 

In this case the promo and the kits shared many of the same parts including body and interior. a number of parts were either permanently changed or lost when it was converted to the Monster truck kit.  With all that being said and the popularity of the Monster truck kit, it makes senses to create a new tool which I hope to expand upon. 

-Steve

Yes Steve I agree. With the popularity of the the Monster trucks they should have had their own tooling to make the most from the engineering.  A shame they have left money on the table when these other trucks could have been released over the last few years.  Watching the internet auction site they have not been cheap for a decade or so. 

Good luck with your work on this Steve. Thanks for the Info

On 10/20/2022 at 5:29 PM, SteveG said:

Jim, 

-Steve

Hoping for GMUD code Z71, a GMC Grille and maybe a club cab too (tho have an extra)

GMCSierra.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2022 at 2:28 PM, mikemodeler said:

If you can find one of the snap fast Tahoe kits, it's pretty much a shoe in under this truck if you are looking to build a 4wd version.

It's an everything molded in chassis. A better one would be the AMT 2005 Escalade EXT or the Revell Cadillac Escalade. I bought an AMT '96 Tahoe snap with the plan of using the EXT as a donor. But, never got around to it.