Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

Yesterday I intended to grill a mess of chops, but decided to wait until today instead. I left the lid off for the first time in years, as normally I keep it closed, so last night it rained like crazy, and my Weber is now filled with splattered gray ash goo.

Yesterday I intended to grill a mess of chops, but decided to wait until today instead. I left the lid off for the first time in years, as normally I keep it closed, so last night it rained like crazy, and my Weber is now filled with splattered gray ash goo.

Murphy never sleeps.......

Car owners who don't have a clue, and then want to tell you you're doing it wrong (after reading an article in a magazine and misunderstanding it completely).

Gee fella...ya think there just MIGHT be a reason people are willing to wait over a year to have me work on their cars? Like maybe I know just a LITTLE about this stuff?

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

So I'm sitting in the left turn lane, with one car ahead of me... our light is green.

What would a normal driver do? Pull out into the intersection about halfway, then wait for oncoming traffic to clear and make your left turn, or at the very least wait for the light to turn red and then make your left. And maybe the guy behind you can squeeze in his left too, right?

Well, this genius just sat there at the crosswalk. Even when oncoming traffic was completely clear and you could have safely made the left turn walking, he still just sat there. Sat there until the light turned red. When the green arrow came on, thank God he had that figured out and he finally made the turn.

:rolleyes:

I don't have enough info here and I don't know the traffic laws in IL to see if what he did was correct.  For example, since there was a dedicated left-turn lane, was there a full set of left turn signals (red, yellow,  and green left turn arrows)?  Or just solid green for all the directions? If there is a red left turn arrow illuminated then I would not make a left turn until I had a green left turn arrow.  But if the only traffic signal lit up at that point was solid green with no directions indicated then I would have turned left if it was safe to do so.

I don't have enough info here and I don't know the traffic laws in IL to see if what he did was correct.  For example, since there was a dedicated left-turn lane, was there a full set of left turn signals (red, yellow,  and green left turn arrows)?  Or just solid green for all the directions? If there is a red left turn arrow illuminated then I would not make a left turn until I had a green left turn arrow.  But if the only traffic signal lit up at that point was solid green with no directions indicated then I would have turned left if it was safe to do so.

I'm sure what Harry is referencing here is a left turn at an intersection where there are no left turn signals, (arrows).

In that situation the left turn essentially becomes a "yield" situation.

You may turn left when there is no more oncoming traffic.

But a smart driver will move partially out into the intersection & wait there for either the oncoming traffic to clear, or for the light to turn yellow or even red to allow you to turn left.

If you remain at the crosswalk & oncoming traffic is heavy, when the light changes, you're stuck there for another cycle of the light.

And then possibly another, & another & another.

As I stated, there are many intersections where I live with no designated left turn signal & heavy enough oncoming traffic during rush hour where you could possibly sit for many cycles of the light before being able to make your turn.

In the mean time, if your not smart enough to get your butt out into the intersection, you're backing up traffic & creating all kinds of havoc behind you.

It's not a traffic rule per-say, but it's just common sense to keep traffic moving & to keep from having the guy behind you jump out of his car & bludgeon you to death! :P

Steve

The timid "I'm afraid to turn left" drivers have been a pet peeve of mine for YEARS! I've gotten aggressive and simply tooted to horn at them to make them move at least into the intersection. Maybe kinda rude, but I drove taxi once upon a time, and those "rude" moments come back from time to time.

Don't mean to sound sexist here, but I've found that it's usually women drivers that are the worst offenders at this. Not to say that ALL women do this, but in the times I've had this happen--------99% of the time it was usually a gal driving. ;)

Here in PA, I believe that at least two cars can still make their left turn into the intersection even if the light has turned red for their end of traffic. There are certain intersections where I live when it's IMPOSSIBLE to make a left turn UNLESS you get your butt out there into the intersection and make the left turn.........red light notwithstanding! Otherwise as has been said, you can sit through four or five cycles before traffic clears before you can make your turn.

Sometimes you just have to get a bit aggressive and make your move, lest you have traffic backing up for literally blocks due to someones timidity.

Here in PA, I believe that at least two cars can still make their left turn into the intersection even if the light has turned red for their end of traffic. There are certain intersections where I live when it's IMPOSSIBLE to make a left turn UNLESS you get your butt out there into the intersection and make the left turn.........red light notwithstanding! Otherwise as has been said, you can sit through four or five cycles before traffic clears before you can make your turn.

Sometimes you just have to get a bit aggressive and make your move, lest you have traffic backing up for literally blocks due to someones timidity.

While I don't know rules in PA, I find it hard to believe that traffic laws in any state would allow:

1. Running a red light (in any direction)

2. Encourage aggressive driving.

But what I do hate is the timid drivers who come to a full stop when entering a divided highway from on on-ramp.   That really makes impossible to merge with the traffic (which even in the slow lane is going at least 55 MPH!).  Especially where there is no breakdown lane on the right. There were few instances where I almost rear-ended those individuals.  There is a Yield (not STOP) sign at the end of the on-ramp. I also used to see "Merging Traffic" signs, but I don't seem to see those much anymore.

While I don't know rules in PA, I find it hard to believe that traffic laws in any state would allow:

1. Running a red light (in any direction)

2. Encourage aggressive driving.

But what I do hate is the timid drivers who come to a full stop when entering a divided highway from on on-ramp.   That really makes impossible to merge with the traffic (which even in the slow lane is going at least 55 MPH!).  Especially where there is no breakdown lane on the right. There were few instances where I almost rear-ended those individuals.  There is a Yield (not STOP) sign at the end of the on-ramp. I also used to see "Merging Traffic" signs, but I don't seem to see those much anymore.

The state recognizes that there are intersections especially at rush hour where it's nigh impossible for drivers to make left turns unless they get out into the intersection, They're not necessarily running the red light, they're trying to make a turn and make that turn after the opposing traffic has already stopped.

Maybe aggressive is not the right term....................assertive should be more like it and too many drivers are lacking it when it comes to driving in this situation. The same applies to merging into traffic on the freeway. If I can see traffic is at least a quarter mile (or less) behind me as I'm trying to get on the road, you betcha I'm flooring it to get ahead (and stay ahead) of them. With too much tractor trailer traffic on our roads, you gotta be a bit more than assertive to keep from getting nailed by one of them. I've seen it happen often and more likely than not, it was someone who was too afraid to step on it and get out there.......stopping for no reason when they could have moved right into traffic without much difficulty.

Now mind you, I have the kind of car that can get ahead of traffic and then some------not everyone has that and that might be the reason for their timidity.

Annoying just the same, and it's the reason I'm glad I learned to drive in one of the nastiest places in the country--------Washington D.C! :D

As far as Yield signs........traffic can be so clogged around here that you have no choice but to stop. When I learned to drive back in the '70's, our Driver's Ed teacher had told us that the red around that sign meant you could stop if needed.

But I hear what you're saying.......traffic is clear, no one's coming and dang if they stop anyway! :angry: 

Due to half a$$ parenting, a four year old boy was able to get into the gorilla enclosure at the Cincinnati Zoo.  The male gorilla dragged the little boy through the shallow water of the moat to get away from the adults screaming on the overlook.  The zoo was concerned for the boys well being and figuring tranquilizers would take too long to act, they shot and killed the endangered gorilla.  

The mom admitted the boy kept saying he was going to go in there but she apparently didn't take him seriously and either got distracted or was watching something else.  One of the local news stations said there is an on line petition to have the parents charged for neglect.  As of this morning, they had 13,000 plus signers (less than 24 hours the gorilla was shot).

I have two boys...one adult and one pre-teen.  Until he turned eighteen, we knew where the older one was at all times.  Thanks to technology advances (short of tagging him like a deer), we know where the younger one is as well.  

Say what you will, but I believe that big old daddy gorilla did a better job of parenting than the kid's own mother.

Then they shot him.

Jeez

I have two sons and a daughter. All are adults now, but I could tell you where each is, within a mile, even today. 

G

Due to half a$$ parenting, a four year old boy was able to get into the gorilla enclosure at the Cincinnati Zoo.  The male gorilla dragged the little boy through the shallow water of the moat to get away from the adults screaming on the overlook.  The zoo was concerned for the boys well being and figuring tranquilizers would take too long to act, they shot and killed the endangered gorilla.  

The mom admitted the boy kept saying he was going to go in there but she apparently didn't take him seriously and either got distracted or was watching something else.  One of the local news stations said there is an on line petition to have the parents charged for neglect.  As of this morning, they had 13,000 plus signers (less than 24 hours the gorilla was shot).

I have two boys...one adult and one pre-teen.  Until he turned eighteen, we knew where the older one was at all times.  Thanks to technology advances (short of tagging him like a deer), we know where the younger one is as well.  

I think that they need to have "mom" replace the gorilla!

Steve

, a four year old boy was able to get into the gorilla enclosure at the Cincinnati Zoo.  The male gorilla dragged the little boy through the shallow water of the moat to get away from the adults screaming on the overlook.  The zoo was concerned for the boys well being and figuring tranquilizers would take too long to act, they shot and killed the endangered gorilla.  

I am not judging but it sounds like you have to really not be paying attention for your child to get in an animal exhibit.  I can understand the zoo not taking a chance from such a strong animal. 

I agree that the zoo had to shoot the gorilla. I am sicked that they needed to make that decision. There is no excuse for that child falling into the exhibit. I bet the mother even put him on top of the wall.

At least the gorilla was watching him cause no one else was. What a shae that he had to die over someone else's stupidity. I saw that on the news and I don't think that gorilla would hurt him it kind of looked like he was playing with him.

vince

I know human behavior quite well. My career demands it.

Gorilla's are likely as human as any of us. I didn't see any threatening behavior directed toward the boy. In fact, I got the impression he was protecting that child. MrsG and I both agree his stance at one point clearly indicated he had taken a position protecting the child and was staying alert for additional threats. No different than when my children were small.

I can only comment on the video I saw. I don't have any experience with Harambe or what he was like. Truth be told, at his age, having been raised in captivity, I would have been surprised he did anything bad to that child deliberately. 

The zoo staff made a tough decision in a hurry and will be second guessed forever because of it. I know what that's like. 

That child's momma is the cause of all the trouble, not the gorilla. 

G

I know human behavior quite well. My career demands it.

Gorilla's are likely as human as any of us. I didn't see any threatening behavior directed toward the boy. In fact, I got the impression he was protecting that child. MrsG and I both agree his stance at one point clearly indicated he had taken a position protecting the child and was staying alert for additional threats. No different than when my children were small.

I can only comment on the video I saw. I don't have any experience with Harambe or what he was like. Truth be told, at his age, having been raised in captivity, I would have been surprised he did anything bad to that child deliberately. 

The zoo staff made a tough decision in a hurry and will be second guessed forever because of it. I know what that's like. 

That child's momma is the cause of all the trouble, not the gorilla. 

G

G, I believe you but I was thinking if he was protecting the child how could you get him back from the Gorilla and the screaming wasn't helping i sure...?

A-holes who ignore the almost state-wide summer burning ban and begin incinerating their trash at sunset. Burning household waste is illegal ALL the time, and releases many kinds of toxic stuff into the atmosphere, including dioxin (from burning plastic)...the MOST potent synthetic carcinogen (cancer-causing agent) ever tested in laboratory animals...and hydrogen cyanide

Choosing to tread lightly on the planet (for the most part...maybe to make up for my enthusiasm for non-emission-controlled vehicles) I cool my house by opening it up at night and pulling in outside air with a whole-house extractor fan.

Right now, I'm pulling in plastic-smoke-stinking air that's making my throat raw.

I don't pipe my damm truck exhaust into your window. How about giving me the same courtesy.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy