Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you see on the road today?

1 hour ago, ToyLvr said:

I had a similar experience on the way to work years ago, only it was the “Peeps-Mobile”. I never even knew there was such a thing until that day?

Never knew there was such a thing until your post!  Neat.  I like Peeps once a year in small quantities...

11 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

There are a lot of Weinermobile toys out there.  Not 1/25 scale, but different size toys.  Check eBay and a load of stuff pops up

This one is supposedly 1/25th:

image.png.27b1c2686ad7a61c6d7c7d19c9d20bca.png

From an article by Don Sikora II:

https://blog.consumerguide.com/classic-model-cars-the-oscar-mayer-wienermobile/

By the way, did y'all know that the modern (1995) Wienermobile was designed by Harry Bentley Bradley?

I saw the Wienermobile on the New Jersey Turnpike within the last 10 years.  Only for a few seconds since it was going the opposite direction.

Hey you can work on the Wienermobile. Website says there are six of them on the road right now!

Oscar Meyer Site: https://www.oscarmayer.com/wienermobile

Job application at bottom of the page!

The term "Speed Bumps" are what is usually heard around here also. Something that is being tried now, I think was started in California. Instead of adding material to the roadway for a bump the road crews paint a pattern on the roadway with darker colored shadowing. This gives the drivers the appearance of a raised road surface. The pictures I have seen on TV look very real, and paint is much cheaper than adding black top and the snow plows don't have to slow down for them during snow storms.     

29 minutes ago, espo said:

Certain cities in this area have a fixation with metal plates to cover holes in the road. The addition of a little black top as a ramp up on too the 1/2" plate is only an option. 

Tell me about it! I cringe going over those things! I have 20's on my Challenger so it takes bumps like that especially hard. I try to slow down for 'em, but there's always some idiot right on your tail that makes it tough to do that sometimes.

5 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Tell me about it! I cringe going over those things! I have 20's on my Challenger so it takes bumps like that especially hard. I try to slow down for 'em, but there's always some idiot right on your tail that makes it tough to do that sometimes.

The fun part is if you have to stop or turn. These seem to show up at or near intersections. The part that I find strange id at low speed hitting one of these plate, and most don't have any kind of an approach ramp, is that it seams to upset the suspension as much or more than hitting most pot holes. 

Where I used to live in West Wales, the council decided to put in 8 or 10 speed bumps on a stretch of road. A year or so later, they removed them after various complaints. Try getting an injured, pregnant or sick person to hospital in a hurry - you don't need speed bumps.

A local building firm was they only winner - they got paid a lot to install them and then they were given the contract to remove them.

Edited by DonW
more info.

5 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

A company I worked for years ago put a few of the rubber ones in the road in front of the office building.  A fairly senior guy tripped over one and hit his head.. bumps were gone immediately!

My local council put in the 8" tall half round versions, within a month they'd all been stolen but the fishing boats all had really tough fenders for tying up at the pier.

On 12/6/2019 at 1:47 AM, RancheroSteve said:

This one is supposedly 1/25th:

image.png.27b1c2686ad7a61c6d7c7d19c9d20bca.png

From an article by Don Sikora II:

https://blog.consumerguide.com/classic-model-cars-the-oscar-mayer-wienermobile/

By the way, did y'all know that the modern (1995) Wienermobile was designed by Harry Bentley Bradley?

The patent from the 1950s has some lovely line drawings to scratchbuild from.

https://patents.google.com/patent/USD171550?oq=oscar+mayer+vehicle

I have randomly seen at least two generations of Wienermobiles, one in Wisconsin circa 1990, and one somewhat more recently on Route 95 in Massachusetts.

12 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Had to wait for two trains crossing Techny Road today:

1209191516-01.jpg.2d3876adde894a51dde6c73a54eb1d02.jpg

So I pulled off and got a couple snaps of this:

1209191516-00.jpg.925ff3a0d6d32a03600e75a20defd9ed.jpg

1209191517-00.jpg.9697ff2078533de444aa71d72b20c919.jpg

I see it in front of this body shop nearly every time I pass by there.

I'm surprised that someone with such a treasure would be out and about with it in this kind of weather. But then they were built to drive I guess. 

• 3 weeks later...

Took these pix last Saturday. Saw this ‘69 Poncho ambulance in a motel parking lot in the Cincinnati area. Not seen in the photo is it’s companion, a “Smart car”, done up in similar livery. Both used for advertising for what appears to be a diet pill business.

Note the taillights; ‘66-‘69 Corvair.

BD3057B0-DF67-41F8-8F32-B1A371723938.jpeg

785686B0-D3F8-4F8C-96E3-B5DCB51521E7.jpeg

7503FD06-D792-4AC0-B5BB-B7C5712C8E1D.jpeg

FF0F7A5D-7BE1-45A5-9FF9-44CC0FAA63B0.jpeg

image.png.fdc507ff8cd4b90078caaa634dadfa6b.png

Here's two I saw in New Jersey over the weekend.  I always liked the smaller Jeep Cherokee pickup.  When was the last time you saw one?  Although they had it sitting up on the platform, it had "not for sale" on the window.  Below is a worn Dodge Aspen. Both sitting on the same defunct used car lot. 

image.png.0f814bf3fd3f2abff6a192e9ea1b9349.png

19 hours ago, Russell C said:

Incognito time machine with what appears to be one of those flat LED police-style light bars strapped above its rear window. Sounded nice, don't think I ever heard one running.

Delorcop.jpg.563f4e654ac6da5f0929ef017be4b77b.jpg

That's because they were a nightmare to actually keep running... lol!

I saw these within a quarter mile of each other yesterday.

Weird, jetski/motorcycle... and yes he's wearing a life jacket.... in DECEMBER!

20191228_154059.thumb.jpg.c7cfa9a583b4ce760582f5634c72c405.jpg

And then this one caught my eye... just right down the street from my house.

20191229_133837.thumb.jpg.3c5eec1d35fe9b30b01c1a744fc899d1.jpg