Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Pleased You Today!

James2

Dad and I took the Axial SCX24 Deadbolts (1/24 scale, though the Lindbergh 1/20 trucks are closer in size)ย I bought us about a year ago out and ran them on the rocks for the first time, it was also the first time Dad has tried a radio controlย crawlerย in probably more than 10 years too! ย Iโ€™ve made a few minor mods to mine like removing the lights and protective hoop from the roll cage, pulling the lights from the bumper (want to put them on the body), removed stickers, then more recently added a better servo and aluminum mount for it, and printed parts from Shapeways to not only lower the battery and ECS/Rx in the chassisย but also movesย the front axle forward by a couple millimeters. Weโ€™re going wheel and tire shopping for them today, they need more weight down in the wheels and grippier thanย stock tires. Already picked up some tungsten putty for pinewood car racing from Hobby Lobby after we were done crawlingย yesterday to use for strategic weight placement.

001(60).jpg

001(58).jpg
001(64).jpg

001(375).HEIC
001(74).jpg

001(67).jpg

Edited by Joe Handley

12 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Dad and I took the Axial SCX24 Deadbolts (1/24 scale, though the Lindbergh 1/20 trucks are closer in size)ย I bought us about a year ago out and ran them on the rocks for the first time, it was also the first time Dad has tried a radio controlย crawlerย in probably more than 10 years too! ย Iโ€™ve made a few minor mods to mine like removing the lights and protective hoop from the roll cage, pulling the lights from the bumper (want to put them on the body), removed stickers, then more recently added a better servo and aluminum mount for it, and printed parts from Shapeways to not only lower the battery and ECS/Rx in the chassisย but also movesย the front axle forward by a couple millimeters. Weโ€™re going wheel and tire shopping for them today, they need more weight down in the wheels and grippier thanย stock tires. Already picked up some tungsten putty for pinewood car racing from Hobby Lobby after we were done crawlingย yesterday to use for strategic weight placement.

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

i used to do rc rock crawling about 1 year ago. the pandemic hit and for some reason i stopped doing it,ย 

2B131D0D-D06C-4898-ABF0-076F580B1901.jpeg.7713d038cd70e50ad678e0ea00d7923d.jpeg

Hey I got a new car!ย 

Barn find.. actually I was doing yard cleanup and saw something red in the dirt.. it was the top of the roof. Car was underground for who knows how long. Iโ€™ve owned the house 11 years with no kids here!

ย 

Edited by Tom Geiger

24 minutes ago, youpey said:

i used to do rc rock crawling about 1 year ago. the pandemic hit and for some reason i stopped doing it,ย 

I hadnโ€™t it much for a few years while Mom was sick and wanted to get out more often after we lost her last January, but COVID hit before I could. Iย decided that I HADย to this year once the weather got better not only to get use out of them, but as exercise as well.......thenย ended up in the hospital with MRSA onceI was down to only a couple weeks left of 6 weeks of antibiotics after I got out, I finally just did it and have been out at least once a week the last few weeks.

ย 

All that said, got new wheels and tires for the 1/24 Axials and packed some tungsten putty into the front bumpers and tucked them in a bit too.

001(82).jpg

001(78).jpg
ย 

11 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

I hadnโ€™t it much for a few years while Mom was sick and wanted to get out more often after we lost her last January, but COVID hit before I could. Iย decided that I HADย to this year once the weather got better not only to get use out of them, but as exercise as well.......thenย ended up in the hospital with MRSA onceI was down to only a couple weeks left of 6 weeks of antibiotics after I got out, I finally just did it and have been out at least once a week the last few weeks.

ย 

All that said, got new wheels and tires for the 1/24 Axials and packed some tungsten putty into the front bumpers and tucked them in a bit too.

ย 

ย 

ย 

i have a large RC collection, between trucks, buggies etc. its borderline obsessive with it at one point. i think i have about 20 different RC cars at this point that i have been collecting over 15 years. many of them are very old now, but i just cant bring myself to get rid of it. even though, with many if i were to break something, it would be next to impossible to find the parts.

ย 

as far as my collection of rock climbers i have the redcat gen8 axe, the traxxas bronco and the hpi toyota fj cruiser. the hpi and bronco were only bought because i love the trucks in 1:1. i actually only drove the traxxas one time on flat surface. i dont climb with it. the 79 bronco is one of my favorite trucks of all time, and i keep that as a shelf queen.

ย 

the gen8 kit is probably the one i used the most, but as i mentioned earlier, i havent done any rc in a while. i do have an old tamiya rally car that was a blast to drive, i might want to take that out for a spin, now that im thinking about it.

On 4/23/2021 at 2:56 PM, Tom Geiger said:

I keep seeing there is a car shortage.. then I read thereโ€™s a big rental car shortage because they sold all the cars due to the pandemic. Whereโ€™d they all go?

maybe usps are in charge of delivering them, lol

On 4/23/2021 at 8:56 AM, Tom Geiger said:

I keep seeing there is a car shortage.. then I read thereโ€™s a big rental car shortage because they sold all the cars due to the pandemic. Whereโ€™d they all go?

IIRC, the car shortage is a chip supply issue and the rental shortage is because rental companies sold off the rentals that were not being used in the last year due to Covid because they didn't want to sit on them...........now they have a need for new, cheap, cars but with the chip shortage, new cars are harder to get and they no longer have a back stock of rentals to fall back on.......

Apparently they should have read up on dealerships stocking up on new cars prior to WW2 war production change overs for when they had customers that needed cars during or immediately on hand after the war was over:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Joe Handley said:

IIRC, the car shortage is a chip supply issue and the rental shortage is because rental companies sold off the rentals that were not being used in the last year due to Covid because they didn't want to sit on them...........now they have a need for new, cheap, cars but with the chip shortage, new cars are harder to get and they no longer have a back stock of rentals to fall back on.......

Apparently they should have read up on dealerships stocking up on new cars prior to WW2 war production change overs for when they had customers that needed cars during or immediately on hand after the war was over:rolleyes:

True, but the factories were by and large closed during the first part of the pandemic so no cars were being built for months. Folks that had been relying on rideshare or public transportation were suddenly buying cars to go to work in. Folks working at home with too much time and money were plotting their next SUV purchase since flying anywhere was out. We bought up all the unused chips in our new bigscreen TVs, gaming consoles, computers, monitors, ovens and ranges for our newly remodeled kitchens, etc. There is also supposed to be somewhat of a rubber shortage going right now as well.

Hertz was in the midst of a bankruptcy and was selling off cars anyway, never mind the travel market was also evaporating.ย 

Did a little online car shopping today myself and noticed everything was advertised at MSRP, no dealer discounts or factory incentives on what I was looking at.

Kind of a perfect storm. I think economics students will be studying this for many years to come.

Whats funny is i read an article that said there was going to be a new car shortage.ย  I thought to myself why, and assumed it was going to be one of thise made up things to drive people to the dealerships.

ย 

Yes, im looking at you toilet paper companies.

ย 

ย 

About the rental car companies... they rely on 80% of their fleet being out on the road. Once everyone stopped renting they had nowhere to store them all.

We belong to Nextdoor, which is a localized chat board for communities. When the pandemic was raging, a lady complained that a local church (which should have been closed by law) was having some big event, even drawing in people from elsewhere because their lot was full of out of state cars! ย Of course there was an outraged pile on from every Karen in town.

The real story? The church was closed. A car rental company rented their empty lot to store cars!

ย 

What pleased me lately was that I found another PMC 1/25th scale bus on eBay, I think I've cornered the market on them and I didn't even want another one as I have four already. It's bizarre how the prices vary on this one. Sometimes, people bid as high as $200 or more for one, other times, the bids are very low or none at all. It's in perfect condition with zero warp, but since I didn't really want it, I bid only the starting bid, $30 ($10 shipping).ย 

Then I forgot about it, well I won the auction! Sheesh. Just a couple of weeks ago, one sold for $220, exact same condition. I wish I had more time, I'd add details to my fleet of buses, window glass, mirrors, realistic wheels and so forth.ย 

TRAILWAYS.jpg

This is both a pleased and irked me today.

ย 

i received the AMT 72 chevy coca cola pickup today from amazon that i have been looking for everywhere. however, amazon packaged it in a sealed paper bad (not an exaggeration, it was a paper bag with no padding). the kit box was completely smashed on all sides. thankfully the model doesnt appear damaged and i am not a collector, so really it doesnt matter if its smashed. im excited i got the kit, but i really wish amazon would stop using the bag

15 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Two things you can always count on the be on-the-job 24/7...rust and Karens.

I ran across this quote today in one of my gun magazines. It really does apply to so much of life, doesn't it?ย 

"It has often been noted you
could be driving across the Sahara desert
at noon on July 4 and still run a significant
risk of striking a deer with your automobile.
However, when you are totally camouflaged,
doused in malodourous doe urine
costing $10 per minuscule bottle and have
been sitting immobile for hours in prime
woodland habitat, there are no [expletive deleted]
deer within 100 miles."

:lol: