Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is the one (1) station wagon you'd like to see kitted?

tomcar12-vi.jpg

How about a Saab 95 wagon? Oddest little car I ever owned. Four speed on the column. Ford Taunus V4 sitting out in front of the front axle (front to back, not transverse!) and it even had a third row seat. Do I expect it to be molded? No, but these days nothing would surprise me. And I guarantee them the sale of TWO kits... no make that THREE kits. The guy I sold it to was a modeler too!

I'd buy a 95 in any form! .. or a 93 or 96 ))

There sure are some unusual shapes - especially with the non-boxy Volvos and a few other European models. Is it just me, or are that '49 Packard and '54 Studebaker just goofy? The late 30s and early 40s Packard wagons were gorgeous. The '49 looks like someone had extra paneling around the house and decided to add a few pieces to his car. It doesn't actually look as bad in person, but that photo made it look odd. The '53 Studebaker looked nice, but they really glopped the chrome on the front of the '54. Maybe AMT could make a '53 Studebaker wagon out of their tooling for the Starliner. What I would like is the '68 Vista Cruiser my family had. It looked sharp, wasn't boxy like most of the others at that time, and rode and handled well. I can't find pictures at the moment.

Another neglected category is hearses. My former manager's father rode to the cemetery in a '39 Packard hearse for his funeral. The body was made by Henney, and is one of the most beautiful vehicles I've ever seen.

Keep coming up with more ideas- I'll buy almost everything shown here.

I'd love the Fuselage and square C-bodies. I know where there's a very nice 1965 880 wagon if someone wants to go measure it. It's a high-point restoration of a low-mileage original- sort of a combination of preservation and clean-up where needed.

Yes, Scott, I agree- a Buick Estate Wagon would be welcome. I've had a '77, '91, '93 and drive a '94 now. One of the square 1977-90s would be cool, or one of the clamshell cars. A woody would also be welcomed. Want something a little different? How a bout a 1960 Invicta with the Western option?

The Saab 95 is so weird it's cool, and the Volvo 140/240 are cars that have been long neglected by model companies and are way overdue to be kitted. That's one car I think would sell a lot of.

I didn't think the hidden headlamps were available on Impalas? I know you could get them on Caprice and Kingswood wagons. I'd buy all of those, too.

Charlie Larkin

I'd love the Fuselage and square C-bodies. I know where there's a very nice 1965 880 wagon if someone wants to go measure it. It's a high-point restoration of a low-mileage original- sort of a combination of preservation and clean-up where needed.

Yes, Scott, I agree- a Buick Estate Wagon would be welcome. I've had a '77, '91, '93 and drive a '94 now. One of the square 1977-90s would be cool, or one of the clamshell cars. A woody would also be welcomed. Want something a little different? How a bout a 1960 Invicta with the Western option?

Charlie Larkin

Charlie....is the '65 880 just a Polara (without the woodgrain sides) or a Custom 880 (with the woodgrain)? If a Custom 880, what color? Sounds really interesting...

You're not the only one who sees the appeal of the Buick Estate Wagons. Street rodding author/contributor Dave Hill, who famously designed the 1/25th scale Phantom '48 Ford Roadster Pickup that was later duplicated in 1/1 scale (right down to the same color), and did one of the first "patina" models with his '83 Mustang GT convertible model featured in SAE, has just picked up his own circa '84 Estate Wagon. It's in great shape and looks superb. He plans a mild lowering and mag wheels....

Best regards///TIM

Being a fan of limited production factory "race cars", I have to agree with the 1963 Pontiac Tempest SD. My own vote would be the 1964 Mercury Comet Wagon ala Ed Scartman/Don Nicholson...427 Hi Riser with the teardrop scoop, 4 speed and pie crust slicks. I guess it could be a 2-in-1 with the option to build stock, but for me those parts would always hit the spares bins.....

.....that 64 Galaxie wagon was pretty neat lookin'!

Here's my vote. Harry's Packard would be cool, too.

PB.

I have a question about pre war Town and Countrys I never gotten a clear answer on. Were they considered part of the Royal or Winsor line of Chryslers? They had to be one or the other. Right after the war, most were part of the New Yorker series. A few Windsor Town and Country 4-door sedans were also built after the war. But, the pre war barrel back wagons? They were six cylinder cars. So are they Royals? Or Windsors?

Scott

Instead of all those '60s-'70s bricks that all look alike, why not something a little less mainstream and a lot more stylish?

1024px-1949_Packard_Station_Sedan_zps12d

Got bad news about this one Harry. It's not considered a station wagon by Packard. They referred to it as a "station sedan".

post-10661-0-88986400-1408124597_thumb.j

Station wagon or station sedan, it would still be cool. And despite what Packard called, I would consider it a station wagon. Most people do. But, there are a few Packard people who like to correct you if call this generation station wagon, a station wagon. So, remember it's not a wagon. It's a station sedan.

Scott

Here's another one that would be cool be see in more ways than one.

post-10661-0-35808600-1408125384_thumb.j

Is this a customized '67 Pontiac Executive Safari wagon with a Grand Prix front clip? No, this a factory built, Canadian only, 1967 Pontiac Grande Parisienne wagon. The full line of Grande Parisiennes in '67 and '68 came with Grand Prix hidden headlamp front ends. So in Canada you could have that neat looking front end on something other than a 2-door hardtop (or a convertible in '67). I want the '67 wagon.

Scott

Here's another one that would be cool be see in more ways than one.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Is this a customized '67 Pontiac Executive Safari wagon with a Grand Prix front clip? No, this a factory built, Canadian only, 1967 Pontiac Grande Parisienne wagon. The full line of Grande Parisiennes in '67 and '68 came with Grand Prix hidden headlamp front ends. So in Canada you could have that neat looking front end on something other than a 2-door hardtop (or a convertible in '67). I want the '67 wagon.

Scott

OK, I made a mistake. I should have taken a closer look at the wagon in the photo I posted. It is not a '67 Grande Parisienne Safari. It is an Executive Safari with a Grand Prix nose. It says "Executive" right on the front fenders. The Grande Parisenne nameplate was on the rear fenders on that car. So I went searching for another, correct picture of a '67 Grande Parisenne Safari. This looks like one.

post-10661-0-91777600-1408129508_thumb.j

Scott

Scott - The irony is that in high school we would've died a thousand deaths being seen in any of the wagons in this thread! It meant that you were driving mommy's car to school, or that you had the cast off mommy car as your first car. It just wasn't cool in 1976!

Fast forward close to 40 years and those wagons are pretty darn cool! :lol:

Scott - The irony is that in high school we would've died a thousand deaths being seen in any of the wagons in this thread! It meant that you were driving mommy's car to school, or that you had the cast off mommy car as your first car. It just wasn't cool in 1976!

:lol:

It was plenty cool enough for me when I drove that '69 T&C each day to Pioneer High back in 1971....of course I would have preferred to have a '71 Charger SE....but then, it wouldn't have had all that room for my friends! TB

I was happy to be driving anything back high school. I was plain car crazy, and I even thought wagons were cool. Look at my three of favorite post war surviving brands of cars. Buick, Packard, and Chrysler (pre war add Cord). I've always loved Buick's Caballero and Estate Wagons. Plus Chrysler's big Town and Countrys. Mercury Commuter, Voyager, and Colony Parks were also cool. I like big luxurious cars. And have always thought big three-seat, nine-passenger station wagons were cool. Other kids may have thought me strange for lusting over these cars as much as (actually more than) Mustangs, Camaros, and Barracudas. But, my tastes have always run on the odd track. And that's okay. They still do.

Scott

It's called nostalgia and it seems a pretty strong kinde feeling...

And while the tread is successful at digging out, all those wonderful memories, it seems much harder to pinpoint just one model, or rather one that realy pops out uniting the collective mind....but still without a question, a fun read indeed.

Do thanks all, for chipping in!

Edited by Luc Janssens

Or nearly 30 years...wagons weren't that cool in 1986 either..my girlfriend in high school drove her Mom's '83 Caprice wagon to school.