Model Cars Magazine Forum

'25 T Street rod build

Spex84

I've been trying to figure out what to do for headlights and taillights. I'm hoping to make something thatlooks like LED clusters or projector headlamps. I have a few options:

-stock-style rounded buckets with quad chrome "lights" made from carb intake pieces from a MPC '32 (looks kind of bug-eyed)

-small diameter bullets made from 60s mustang mirrors (these look like the motorcycle-style projector headlights offered by 1:1 company 'Headwinds')

-Square LED cluster headlights made from cheap costume jewelry.

For taillights, I have the round units from the Phantom Vicky, or possibly a long horizontal flush-mounted strip would be good, like a lot of 90s and 2000s high tech street rods. I think I'd use a strip of CD jewel case painted with transparent red to form the taillight lens.

The body is quite square, so the rectangular headlights/taillight might work well. On the other hand, the filler door and intake bells create a circular theme, so the bullet headlights and taillights would work too.

Hmmm...

25T_HiTech_11_zpsmpuz36ni.jpg

So here's what I did to the intake. I don't know if it would ever work in real life, but it has the look, so it'll do.

25T_HiTech_10_zpsgsms4dwc.jpg

Because I'm undecided on color, I tried out a few things in Photoshop:

25T_ColorOptions1_zpspydipjoy.jpg

And... here's how the gas cap was done. It's two aluminum standoffs used in electronics (salvaged from some junk circuit boards), chopped up and screwed back together:

25T_HiTech_09_zpsbs1kqe7o.jpg

Orange is the way to go, the green cheapens the look you have going & that tone has been over used by all...... grey & black has also been done to death, this deserves a real paintjob ...... a bright red or light blue would also make it pop - Great build so far :)

Edited by Krazy Rick

Could have sworn I already posted this...weird.

Anyway, Jantrix--I wanted a graphical element on the side of the body, so that's why the filler door is there. The seat had tipped back in that shot; now it sits forward and is notched in the side for the filler neck. Should just barely fit together. Putting the filler in the deck would almost be too logical!

The orange color does make things Pop! Another color combination that might look good would be like a "Creamcicle Orange and an Antique Ivory or like a Kawasaki Green with the Green you already have shown both combo's would compliment each other. With the two tone scheme you've shown. Things might Pop better with that scheme if the upholstered top section were either black or an almost black green for the green combo.

Really like the way you did the driveshaft /transmission tunnel, smart piece of work for something that has plagued modelers for eons. I've seen a few different attempts to make believable transmission tunnels with sheet styrene but they always looked clunky.

Good eye for repurposing stuff to make plausible things like the fuel filler and intake, keep up the great work.

Just an FYI for those that didn't know it, the IFS from the Buttera kits is a scale copy of Jaguar sedan suspension, and is a natural with the Jag rear in those kits, the only difference in sedan and XKE rear suspension is a sedan is wider by a couple of inches, and the XKE rears are a posi traction rear end, for a more contemporary rear end treatment you can make up a center from a Ford 9" that would be a copy of Kugel and a couple of other types that are in the 1:1 market.

Just an FYI for those that didn't know it, the IFS from the Buttera kits is a scale copy of Jaguar sedan suspension, and is a natural with the Jag rear in those kits, the only difference in sedan and XKE rear suspension is a sedan is wider by a couple of inches, and the XKE rears are a posi traction rear end, for a more contemporary rear end treatment you can make up a center from a Ford 9" that would be a copy of Kugel and a couple of other types that are in the 1:1 market.

Thanks for the useful info, Horsepower!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, thanks for the excellent paint ideas Skip, In the end, I think I'm going to try and execute the original concept, which is a mostly silver-and-black scheme.

Progress has been slow lately...

-stripped the wheels and shot them flat black. They may stay this way; they may get a gloss coat.

-made a taillight out of the corrugated plastic on the side of a CD jewel case, painted it with Testors clear red, foiled the back, and shot a bar of flat black in the center...and recessed this into a slot in the body. It kind of matches the rear window slot...

-various filling and priming

-new seat risers

-tweaked the floor so it's easier to get into the body

Barely visible in the background is an attempt at making thin interior panels by embossing aluminum tape over layers of paper and card. The idea is to paint them with acrylics, which hopefully will be flexible enough that they can be installed without cracking the paint.

25T_HiTech_July5_zpshwrmdksf.jpg

• 2 months later...

Liking the rake and proportions, the tail treatment, the modern guts, wheels and rubber...all of it actually.

Radically chopped phone-booth Ts have always been among my favorites.. Nice job you're doing with it.:D

Just FYI...six individual throttle bodies could be made to work (I assume it's supposed to be a custom EFI setup). Might be a bugger to get the tuning software sorted, but it IS possible. Looks good, too.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The stance and proportions look really good, Chris! Nice fab work and the engine looks awesome, too. B) 

Just FYI...six individual throttle bodies could be made to work (I assume it's supposed to be a custom EFI setup). Might be a bugger to get the tuning software sorted, but it IS possible. Looks good, too.

It has already been done a bunch on the Ford 4.6 DOHC (which is what the models engine is) engines although typically there are 8 throttle bodies and at first glance they look like a 4 - Weber setup. The same is also available for the more current Coyote DOHC engines. That said, with the tuning capabilities available today there's no reason a 6 throttle body arrangement couldn't be made to work, especially sharing a common air plenum. 

Thanks guys. Yep, I did some cursory research into modded DOHC 4.6 engines. There's a rod out there with a very nice Coyote that was reworked to look retro. I think it was in Rod and Custom. Apparently the tuning/computer nonsense was a nightmare, as was the plumbing, but in the end it looked gorgeous. I seem to recall they put EFI Hilborn injector stacks on that one.

In this case, I just wanted something exotic and Ferrari-ish.

I've come up with some rectangular headlights that are going to be a love-hate thing for most people, haha. Once those are dialed, I can paint the grille shell.