Model Cars Magazine Forum

Left-Hand Drive Dashboards

• 1 month later...

Tamiya's Aston Martin    British Car done in LH Drive!!!! Could do with a RH Drive Dash. But then I live in the UK!

Why oh why don't kit manufacturers offer both dash options and windscreen wiper positions in their kits.....Especially if Kerbside models.

Also, cannot understand why Airfix still keep making 1/32nd scale car kits instead of 1/24th scale. Seem to be out of sync with everyone else.

• 2 months later...

Hi Gregg,

I'm posting my conversion of the Scion Xb dashboard to left-hand drive. I'm also posting a shot of the back which shows some of the work/changes behind.

The conversion isn't perfect (or finished) but will get me past my aversion to right hand drive. (with the exception of replicating race cars.)

Would enjoy seeing more conversions, as there must be more out there.

Brian

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi Gregg,

I'm posting my conversion of the Scion Xb dashboard to left-hand drive. I'm also posting a shot of the back which shows some of the work/changes behind.

The conversion isn't perfect (or finished) but will get me past my aversion to right hand drive. (with the exception of replicating race cars.)

Would enjoy seeing more conversions, as there must be more out there.

Brian

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

I own the 1:1 2006 xB and I was thinking of doing this to the Fujimi kit. But even if I do that, the wiper blades face the wrong way, and are the wrong shape to just be able to flip them around, so I'm not sure it is worth the effort.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
On July 7, 2015 at 3:41 PM, Russell C said:

Tamiya Honda CRX.

Converted mine to LHD decades back, should have had a resin cast done first, of course...

I did that kit too!  Yes Russell, shoulda coulda woulda.  Tamiya's Honda Civic (second generation) had both L&R.

I just did Fujimi's MINI Cooper, had to create LHD dash, which wasn't hard.  Don't know if that's considered popular enough to offer.

My problem is always the opposite of this issue, in that I need to convert every Minicraft / Revell  1:24 scale Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud that I build from LHD dashboard to RHD dashboard for England. Really I should mould and cast a resin RHD dashboard which would make the whole process a lot easier of course.

David

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I found similar stuff at the local craft store. Was going to try it also.

As for the article on the dash boards, it's gotten bigger from when I started, and now I'm trying to find someone who can help with the 3D design part of the article.

14 hours ago, Gregg said:

I found similar stuff at the local craft store. Was going to try it also.

As for the article on the dash boards, it's gotten bigger from when I started, and now I'm trying to find someone who can help with the 3D design part of the article.

Ace-Garageguy has posted a lot of information about 3D printing and seems to have some intimate knowledge of processes involved, per chance he can help?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
On 1/13/2022 at 3:38 PM, Jonathan said:

Been a while since anyone brought this up - this is a great project.

Has anyone done a LHD for the old Tamiya Miata/Eunos? 

What kit is that?  I have the Tamiya kit 24082 Mazda MX-5 Miata and it is a LHD kit.  Was there another version of the Miata?  If the one you have is RHD, it woudl be probably easiest to just get the kit I have.

10 hours ago, peteski said:

What kit is that?  I have the Tamiya kit 24082 Mazda MX-5 Miata and it is a LHD kit.  Was there another version of the Miata?  If the one you have is RHD, it woudl be probably easiest to just get the kit I have.

I think I have kit 24085, which is boxed as the "Mazda Eunos".  I didn't realized there was a RHD version of the kit.

• 4 months later...
On 7/7/2015 at 3:25 AM, Gregg said:

I am starting a new project, making left-hand drive dashboards for some current and kind of current import kits.

Here are some of the possibilities:

Fujimi Lexus

LS600hL

Aoshima Toyota Van

Garson Alphard ZX

Aoshima Crown Hybrid

Royal Saloon

Aoshima Odyssey Wagon

Fabulous 19”

Aoshima Datsun 720 Truck

Cal Look #028438

Fujimi Datsun 311 Fairlady

Dayhatsu Datsun 311 Fairlady

Aoshima GRS204 Crown

Athlete Aimgain

Aoshima Accord Wagon

2.3VTL 1997 CF-6

Aoshima Hilus RN30

Cal Look Truck

Tamiya 350Z NismoZ

Aoshima Crown Athlete GRS214

Sorry, the link doesn't open to a new window. Have to see what makes that link work.
I know, "target_blank" or something like that...

Thoughts?

Any other ones to add, that are popular, not just a car you want to see.

Thanks.

How about a Toyota AE86 Levin LHD conversion. I have another one of the Aoshima kits, and can’t find a LHD dash, or conversion anywhere for the car. Thank You

• 5 weeks later...

I want to convert the old Tamaiya Datsun 240ZG 1:16 kit to LHD, to replicate my first-year 240Z, #HLS3547,  My thought was to cast the RHD version in resin, and use it either to cut-up or as a back-up if I hashed the plastic one. I'm old and low-tech.  I know that kit is pretty rare, but anyone consider doing it?  The 1;1 Gen-1 Z-car, of course was designed to be either, since home market was RHD, but N America got the LHD.  

My car was the subject of HOW TO RESTORE YOUR DATSUN Z-CAR (CA Bill's Automotive Handbooks, Tucson AZ 1991) which has been in print for thirty years now, and is coming out as a revised edition (hopefully) this year, as I did revised text in 2016.  I have a D/C that I repainted to match my current 1:24 silver '71 -- NISSAN USA bought my original car back in 1995 for display; (then sold it) -- and it's autographed by Pete Brock and John Morton; think I might add my own!

• 9 months later...

Here are some additional kits that would be candidates for a RHD to LHD conversion

Aoshima Daihatsu Copen

Aoshima Honda Beat

Aoshima Suzuki Cappuccino

Fujimi Fiat Barchetta

Fujimi Toyota MR-S turbo

Fujimi Honda NSX/NSX-R

Most of these kits have had multiple re-issues (different box art, photoetch added, etc.) so I haven't included the kit numbers

I have done one conversion of the Fujimi Honda NSX by resin casting the dashboard from the Tamiya NSX kit (24100), with some persuading to get it to fit.  I have yet to take an existing dash and switch the halves.  The other option is to find a 3D printer who would be willing to scan, flip and print out the LHD version of a dashboard.  Would be quite a bit of work and would need to be able to recoup those costs.

AoshimaDaihatsuCopen_.jpg

AoshimaHondaBeat.jpeg

AoshimaSuzukiCappuccino.jpg

FujimiFiatBarchetta.jpg

FujimiToyotaMR-Sturbo.jpg

FujimiHondaNSX.jpg