Model Cars Magazine Forum

How about Some Barris themed models.

Anyone interested in posting anything they have made, or just boxes, maybe some Barris model memorabilia ? I know there will be more controversy as there are a lot of TV and film stuff but try to keep it down eh, there's another topic going that way.
Me? I have quite a few half started but none really finished, especially my 4 Ala Karts :(

I don't know if George Barris created these, built them or had someone build them, I have them somewhere in my stash thats all. Though I did wonder if he got pulled over about the VW Rolls Royce thing. RR were a bit touchy about that sort of merchandising back then.

Unknown-1.thumb.jpeg.74517c93f336433612e

Unknown-2.thumb.jpeg.2ba890eaaeefa8e57e0

Photo's grabbed from Goggle images

Edited by HotRodaSaurus

A few years back I was collecting original Ala Kart models, both gluebombs and virgins. I started a re-style update of the car (from bits of bodged built-ups) using Dodge Viper power (in honor of the original's Dodge Red Ram engine) and undercarriage.

DSCN2028.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Neat one there Bill, I have a couple of the re releases just for the parts.

My main Barris project is a Lois Betancourt Ayala/Barris 49 Mercury. As yet un started as I am gathering material to build it. The big one being, do I go the easy route and use the Revell pre chopped car as a base or start from scratch with the AMT version. I think the Revel still needs work on the chop.

No, most where the product of the team at AMT. He approved it and that was it. He had his hand in lots of kits back then as a "Consultant"

If you have a kit of the Winged Express Fuel Altered in the original box, you will notice the the engine is called a "429 Ford Semi Hemi" but it is really and early Chrysler 392. It was called a Ford due to Barris having a say so since he was at the time peddling Ford products. He pretty much had his finger in all the model companies at one time or another. 

Now, this is interesting:

The AMT annual '66 Vette roadster box says Customized by George Barris. The Couple kit says "Customized by the [sic] Gene Winfield." The '67 Roadster box says Customized by Gene Winfield, and the '65 Coupe box has it Customized by Dean Jeffries. Looks like everybody got a turn at the C2 Stingrays.

On the back of the original AMT Trophy Series instruction sheets is a section of customizing tips by George. In particular, on the '34 Pickup sheet is a really tough looking drag strip idea. I got inspired to build my own based on the illustration.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Instead of the modified T-Bird engine I used the AMT parts pack Pontiac and American mags & 12 spokes from the original '32 Vicky with parts pack tires & slicks. Everything else is from the '34 truck. Paint is Testors Mythical Maroon. It was a quick, fun project.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

B)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Car Lust: The Munster Koach and the Drag-u-la

OK it's not a model as we know it, Jim. 

I promise to post pictures of my model one, it only has 8 carbs and it has tread on the back tyres for those damp Transylvanian nights.

I never got why you'd put ten carburettors on a V8. 

Edited by DonW

I was at Early Ford Store in San Dimas California one time and my friend asked Bill Mcgrath...the owner...if he had flathead intake manifolds for multiple carburetors...Bill pointed up high at one wall where he had several intake manifolds for two, three and four carburetors hanging and asked..."how much trouble do you want". :)

Why so many...to get "the look".
The restored (or if it's a recreation) Munsters Coach has eleven carburetors, five on each side and one in the middle the Ford Cobra engine runs on, the other ten are fake.
The original TV show car on the other hand at least some of the ten Stromberg carbs looks to be functional as there are no carb in the middle and they sits closer together on top of the Ford engine.
Even if you have several carburetors on the engine all doesn't have to work, a friend of mine bought a 32 Ford Tudor with a Chevy small block and a 3 X 2 Stromberg setup...but only the middle carb was working, the outer ones was blocked off and was just there for "the look".

Edited by Force