Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT and MPC new releases for 2016

gasman

Al Macs is the best Charlie. I drive by often and stop in and get lunch when i can.

Most folk here wouldn't know Portuguese from Polish. And that's not a bad thing i guess.

Since I speak Portuguese it usually gives me a leg up when ordering.

Bob

PS: Look at my sig, i'm back in New Beige....

Bob

As a side note on AMT / MPC kits, I was at my LHS a few days ago and the owner told me that if I wanted a Dukes Charger I should get one now as the flag was soon to be deleted. Just a heads up.

Got an email from Round 2 today, stating the same thing. Licensing on all Dukes of Hazard ends as of the first of the year.

Al Macs is the best Charlie. I drive by often and stop in and get lunch when i can.

Most folk here wouldn't know Portuguese from Polish. And that's not a bad thing i guess.

Since I speak Portuguese it usually gives me a leg up when ordering.

Bob

PS: Look at my sig, i'm back in New Beige....

Bob

Welcome home. I do miss it down there many days; loved the people and the food. And not being stuck back at home!

Trust me, they won't confuse linguicia with kielbasa, and after trying linguicia, well...kielbasa lost its appeal for the most part. Blows I can't get it up this way too easily. I suppose all we can do is try to educate. 

C'mon up and visit us at MassCar if you can spare the evening of the 16th. We're meeting on the Stoughton/Canton line not even five minutes (seven if the lights are working against you) off of 24. 139 towards Stoughton, turn right at Turnpike St. where Cumby's is, go to Porter & Chester about 2 miles down, in the drive, left around to the auto shop, and in the door next to the shop garage, upstairs and into the meeting room upstairs.

We're having our Christmas Party in December. Bring a dish to share and join us. Someone's usually there by about 6:00. Party goes from 7:00 or so until people leave. 

Charlie Larkin

Just an observation on my "obsessive" part, but AMT's new tool '57 Chevy always seemed on the "big" side to me. Particularly in the wheelwell area, they just seem to be a bit too large in relation to the rest of the car.

A fantasy build of mine would be to cut the wheelwells out of the old tool '57, and graft them into the new body. Call me crazy, but it's just something I've noticed for years. And yes, when looking down on the body, the roof does have sort of a "pie shape" or taper to it from front to back. Could be the actual car is this way--------I was surrounded by '57 Chevy's when I was a kid in the '60's, but have never got on top of one to check that out to notice! :P

Wonder how tough it would be to mate it up with the parts from the new AMT kit? Always bugged me that they never offered stock wheels with it.

Charlie Larkin

Shouldn't be too difficult. Biggest problem, if you want a full-detail bulld, would be cutting out the hood. The plastic on the Revell snappers is typically pretty thick--not a big problem to cut, but will leave you with thick edges on the hood and fenders. Maybe the AMT hood (or even an old Revell hood) would fill the hole. Would definitely be an interesting project.

Welcome home. I do miss it down there many days; loved the people and the food. And not being stuck back at home!

Trust me, they won't confuse linguicia with kielbasa, and after trying linguicia, well...kielbasa lost its appeal for the most part. Blows I can't get it up this way too easily. I suppose all we can do is try to educate. 

Charlie Larkin

When you mention Kielbasa, are you referring to fresh or smoked?

Of all the colors to pick from to mold a colored version in they had to pick RED? 

I thought that the deal behind molding in color was to make it easier on the beginning modelers to build, just me, but this kit wouldn't be my first pick for giving to a newbie, and the Revell snap kit is already molded in red, wish they had picked the turquoise blue that's on the artwork on the box.

Of all the colors to pick from to mold a colored version in they had to pick RED? 

I thought that the deal behind molding in color was to make it easier on the beginning modelers to build, just me, but this kit wouldn't be my first pick for giving to a newbie, and the Revell snap kit is already molded in red, wish they had picked the turquoise blue that's on the artwork on the box.

Dunno, but they call it re-sell red.

Or....maybe with red there's less chance of swirl-marks in the plastic, I know silver is bad.

Dunno, but they call it re-sell red.

Or....maybe with red there's less chance of swirl-marks in the plastic, I know silver is bad.

any metallic color is hard to keep from having swirls in it, the snap kits AMT did in the late nineties were phenomenal with the great results they achieved, especially in the Copperhead Concept Roadster that both AMT and Revell released, it was also a phenomenon that BOTH kits matched the Boyds pearl orange spray can color so well too.

Just an observation on my "obsessive" part, but AMT's new tool '57 Chevy always seemed on the "big" side to me. Particularly in the wheelwell area, they just seem to be a bit too large in relation to the rest of the car.

A fantasy build of mine would be to cut the wheelwells out of the old tool '57, and graft them into the new body. Call me crazy, but it's just something I've noticed for years. And yes, when looking down on the body, the roof does have sort of a "pie shape" or taper to it from front to back. Could be the actual car is this way--------I was surrounded by '57 Chevy's when I was a kid in the '60's, but have never got on top of one to check that out to notice! :P

Funny you mention that Bill, 'cause I've also entertained such an idea - though I tend to favor the latest Revell Black Widow/Sedan/Convertible tooling for wheel arch transplants.  One thing I'd certainly do is replace AMT's front bumper with the latest Revell piece, which not only looks closer and skips the lateral parting lines, but just about fits the AMT shell.

I don't know if this is the place to bring this up or not. But, I'm still waiting for Round 2 to release the '71 Dodge Demon that there was talk about a few years back.

That's been confirmed to be dead. It's been mentioned a few times here on the forum, so a quick search should give you all the details. ;)

Edited by Casey

Good to see the Beetle Bus coming out, Is there any chance they will bring back the Lug Bug & der Volks Van also man?

I would supect they will eventually, much like they did with the Lil Gypsy, etc, and other kits which share much of their design. An e-mail to Round2 wouldn't hurt, either.

I still do not understand why that is. From what I can tell, it would be a big hit.

Issues with the tooling . Apparently , Round2 was going to do with the 1971 Demon what AMT (et al.) did with the 1970 Super Bee in the 90's :: "bash" it with newer tooling ; to wit : MPC 1971 Demon 340 body (etc.) with the c.1998-issue AMT 1971 Duster 340 (chassis , engine , etc.) .

I'm willing to bet that , since the MPC A-body series (1971-1975 Duster , 1971 Demon , 1975-1976 Dart Sport) tooling is every bit of 40 years old , that it's too fatigued to rework . Remember that Round2 was going to take the 1975-1976 Dart Sport tool (which has been reissued and reworked a few times since its retirement as an "annual" at the end of 1976) and backdate its body to 1971 cosmetics (no small feat !) .

Perhaps Revell , Moebius , et al. , could do it better vis-a-vis all-new tooling ... (and , no , I'm not knocking Round2 by stating that)