Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT and MPC new releases for 2016

gasman

Andy...If I remember right from my childhood days its the same body as all the rest of the re-issued ones...sport coupe body would be cool to see.

You are correct mark just checked my 2 kits and its the same body as the recent re-release Heavy Chevy version

Here are both the Bonneville and the boat built straight out of the box. The only modification is the resin wheels on the Bonneville. I would love to see it issued as a hard top but I'll take either.

70 Bonn 3.jpg

70 Bonn 94.jpg

PU SB 92.jpg

Bill...That is NICE..!  I have a soft spot for the big 66-73 Bonnevilles grew up with them in the family.  Really wish they could bring back the HT ones.

Great looking Bonne and boat Bill. Looking forward to the Bonneville coming back. Wish the boat was too. Made the mistake of trading the boat away when it was last released in the Model King combo. Kicking myself ever since. Traded it for Revell's then new '49 Custom Merc. A nice kit. But now I really wish I had the boat.

With the backdating of the '50 Ford convertible to include the gasser front suspension pieces is there a chance that the original chopped hardtop will be reinstated in the box too?

I don't recall (or care about) those gasser parts...but I'd sure like to have that hardtop back!

I don't recall (or care about) those gasser parts...but I'd sure like to have that hardtop back!

I was thinking the same thing, just my strange feeling that a shoebox convertible wouldn't make a very good gasser in the first place, putting gasser parts in a kit that was originally a great custom makes about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine.

Casey-Unfortunately I'm 99% certain this '57 is the new-tool.   

I don't think that's such a bad thing, I'm in favor of the new release being the latest version, after all, if it was voted the model of the year when it was first released, it can't be that bad.

This part should go on the post about the '50 Ford convertible remarks.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And with the current trend to leaving little bits out of shared parts trees in new releases, they can save some plastic by leaving the gasser parts out.

Edited by horsepower

In the distant-past, wasn't there a resin caster who also sold a factory-stock resin hardtop for the '50 Ford convertible kit so it was possible to build a factory-stock model?  And if anyone remembers that to be the case, any idea who it was that offered that resin hardtop?

In the distant-past, wasn't there a resin caster who also sold a factory-stock resin hardtop for the '50 Ford convertible kit so it was possible to build a factory-stock model?  And if anyone remembers that to be the case, any idea who it was that offered that resin hardtop?

Modelhaus does a '50 Crestliner 2dr sedan conversion and a '51 Crestliner with the correct parts to make it a '51.

Good call on Round 2's part on the Model A.  They'll sell plenty to people looking to kitbash them with the new Revell releases, and vice versa - good for both companies.

Lots of other stuff I'm Iiking here: '70 Bonneville, '84 GMC, and '65 Bonneville were all kits I missed out on previously.  I've heard that the '75 Corvette also has a great set of bare rally wheels (no trim rings or center caps), but I've never seen pics to confirm.  Anyone know for sure?  If so, I'm in for one of those, too.  (I know the AMT 1970 Vette also has a set, but the slots aren't correct and they're not deep enough)

Here's a pic of them Robert.

Edited by Can-Con

I don't think that's such a bad thing, I'm in favor of the new release being the latest version, after all, if it was voted the model of the year when it was first released, it can't be that bad.

Yes, I agree that the new-tool isn't a bad kit.

I only say its unfortunate because, like Casey I would love to see the old-tool reissued in it's original form with all of the styling parts intact.  Based on what I've heard re the condition of the old tool I doubt it will ever happen though.  

Modelhaus does a '50 Crestliner 2dr sedan conversion and a '51 Crestliner with the correct parts to make it a '51.

Good to know; thanks Can-Con!  My memory was telling me that there was also a resin-cast roof-piece to add to the kit's convertible body converting it to a hardtop.  Does anybody remember a resin roof-piece like that ever being available?

Yes, I agree that the new-tool isn't a bad kit.

I only say its unfortunate because, like Casey I would love to see the old-tool reissued in it's original form with all of the styling parts intact.  Based on what I've heard re the condition of the old tool I doubt it will ever happen though.  

I thought the new tool 57 Chevy dissappeared when they moved production from Mexico to China.
The last new tool 57 Chevy was the Coca Cola version and the one with the pink and white 2 door post car on the box art, both from 1998.

I thought the new tool 57 Chevy dissappeared when they moved production from Mexico to China.The last new tool 57 Chevy was the Coca Cola version and the one with the pink and white 2 door post car on the box art, both from 1998.

The new-tool kit is still around; the last issue was by Round2 in 2012 in a collector tin.