Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT and MPC new releases for 2016

gasman

Keystones, 409, ect ect gone?

Yes....409, Keystones...all non-stock pieces gone.

This series of kits (Round2 called them "Mass Market" kits) were issued to appeal to first-time/casual modelers as opposed to us more serious hobbyists, they decided at the time to exclude all non-stock parts and include only the parts to assemble the kits as pictured on the boxes.  The '55 Nomad in the series also got the same treatment.     

Yes....409, Keystones...all non-stock pieces gone.

This series of kits (Round2 called them "Mass Market" kits) were issued to appeal to first-time/casual modelers as opposed to us more serious hobbyists, they decided at the time to exclude all non-stock parts and include only the parts to assemble the kits as pictured on the boxes.  The '55 Nomad in the series also got the same treatment.     

Whoa.... I almost bought the nomad. Glad I didn't. Thanks.

They’ve backdated the 1950 Ford Convertible Trophy Series kit to the sought after 2nd issue configuration, restoring the optional “gasser” front suspension parts!

I never had that issue - does anyone have a photo of the gasser suspension? Is it a straight axle parallel leaf setup? I have a project waiting for it if so.

Don't forget the Photo-etch

Also from the New tooled kit

I was buyint the Regular, Pro-Shop & Coca-Cola issues at Toys R Us for $3,50 or so

back then

And They were NOT suppose to have the Pro-Shop issue!!!!

Still have one, and 3-4 of the Coke issue

And I got the 100th Anniversary Tin at Extra Clearance from Hobby Lobby

I did not have enough cash, and was going to leave it, but Manager said to make it Half the ticket

I said it was already Clearance priced, that floor person said they did not have correct clearance stickers

but, still said drop it.

So I took the kit home for $8.oo +tax!!

It will be interesting to see what the 'open all closed gates' gives us.  That MAY be goo......

I did a little digging in the collection today and pulled out some of my vintage 1929 Model A kits. Better than that, I took a few photos....

Here is an original Ala Kart Chrome tree (One of two included per kit.

PB140059

Here is the a chrome tree from the Street Rods Issue Model A (Bottom), with the corresponding tree from the2002 issue on top. Note: the Street Rod tree is slightly incomplete. The headers, rocker covers, oil pan, timing cover, and one of the headlight buckets are missing here. There might be a couple of other pieces missing as well

IMG_5316rt-vi.jpg

Here you can see how they modified the Ala Kart Fenders for the 1973 Street Rods issue. The cut-outs (and bulges) for the side pipes are gone.

IMG 5337rt7\

IMG 5338rt

The bulge to match the scoop on the hood was removed from the front of the cab,

IMG 5334rt

As was the pleating on the back....

IMG 5335rt

The parts to the right of the wheels in the below photo are the mechanical brake linkage and the stock 29 A front axle. Why Lesney/AMT felt it necessary to move these parts to the chrome tree is beyond me.

IMG 5341

That was done for the below issue, which was reissued twice by Ertl/AMT in maroon, then again in 2002 with a bunch of gates opened up. All of the gray parts in this post are from the 2002 issue.

IMG 5345rt

The below parts are MIA from the 2002 issue.

IMG 5339rt

Here is the rest of the 2002 release,

IMG 5318rt

That 57 Chevy kit says opening trunk, so it's the new tool. 

I know that some of the folks that love the old tool 57 Chevy are complaining, but the new tool 57 is far superior to the old one. The side trim on the old tool 57 is way too high on the body.  The only way I would want to see it return would be if they'd open the gates to all of the old styline custom parts that I know are still in there. (See the ghost portion of the rear extension on the upper left...)

IMG 9201

PB140072

I asked John Greczula about opening the gates a few years ago, and he told me that it likely never be re-issued because the tool is just flat worn out.

Edited by Dave Darby
Missing photo

The new tool 57 is a good kit, but pie shaped. I've figured out how to narrow the back half of the body and section the rear bumper so all is good. The opening trunk really helps on this. Compare it to a new Revell 57 and you'll see what I'm talking about. Great donor kit for other mid 50's GM builds too.

I know that some of the folks that love the old tool 57 Chevy are complaining, but the new tool 57 is far superior to the old one. The side trim on the old tool 57 is way too high on the body.  The only way I would want to see it return would be if they'd open the gates to all of the old styline custom parts that I know are still in there. (See the ghost portion of the rear extension on the upper right...)

PB140072

I asked John Greczula about opening the gates a few years ago, and he told me that it likely never be re-issued because the tool is just flat worn out.

I'd buy that kit,,,just for the box ,,maybe even build the car

The new tool 57 is a good kit, but pie shaped. I've figured out how to narrow the back half of the body and section the rear bumper so all is good. The opening trunk really helps on this. Compare it to a new Revell 57 and you'll see what I'm talking about. Great donor kit for other mid 50's GM builds too.

Yeah, I don't like the new tool at all - too big and blobby.  I'll take the old tool, wrong side trim or not.  I still like the old Revell '57 too, apart from the clunky front bumper and droopy doors.

Strange, I remember reading the Model Magazine reviews, at the time the "New" 57 came out, and do not remember any complaints about "Pie-Shaped" I DO remember there being much commentary at the time about the new kit and the Revell snapper, and who had gotten the Rear end/trunk area correct. If memory serves the educated consensus was the 'old' AMT was some what better than either new kit, but the trouble was not a 'showstopper' for either.