Model Cars Magazine Forum

Whats your work area like?

• 2 weeks later...

The new joint,... for now, managed to cram this into the second bedroom of an apartment,..

Spacious enough,... I need more shelves to clutter up:lol: .....Lost the Bar Fridge in the move:(

benchDec15_zpstaxgx8tg.jpg

Got some time off, and am going to put this to good use.

Cheers everyone, Have a Happy Merry  Ho Ho and a Good New 365:blink:

Edited by Belugawrx
cause I forgot about the bar fridge......now I'm sad again

When I got back into the hobby in around 1995 I was building on the kitchen table. Later that year I built a custom desk & that became my work bench as seen in the 1st picture.

In 2001, we bought our first house & I got my own room. 2nd picture shows the same desk/workbench as it was in 2004 right before I put everything into storage.

After having all of my modeling stuff put away in storage, I started to put the hobby room back together again in late 2014. I put the room back together kinda like it had been with shelving on 3 walls for my collection. I then threw together an L-shaped table to work on.

Last bench pic is from mid 2015. I was in the process of fixing my older builtups. Being in storage wasn't good to them.  The other pic shows my old Testors paint station that I just got put into the room along with the storage cabinet under it that I have had since 1969 that my dad built for me.& my model display cabinet that has been around since the 70's when I built it as a bookcase for my mom. Enjoy the pics. I love seeing all the cool spaces!

m6.jpg

Picture-vi.jpg

older model builds 003.JPG

4Sale 006.JPG

4Sale 007.JPG

Edited by Lordmodelbuilder

Well I spy with my eye, -another, with the Testors paint rack set up! (Aren't those nice!? -For those of us with enough paint to fill it!) I have 5 of the Testors paint racks! One full, the other 4 wait to have a place to be put right now! (My shops a wreck).....

Amazing how all of us have the same elements in our work areas!

Well I spy with my eye, -another, with the Testors paint rack set up! (Aren't those nice!? -For those of us with enough paint to fill it!) I have 5 of the Testors paint racks! One full, the other 4 wait to have a place to be put right now! (My shops a wreck).....

For the most part, many of us do have the same stuff in our work areas. I however don't have room for a spray booth or a dehydrator and I seem to do well without them. I also don't have room for a paint rack, or many paint racks either. I also seem to get by with a minimal amount of tools as well, which works for me. While we're in the same hobby, many of us accomplish the same objective in different ways.  

For the most part, many of us do have the same stuff in our work areas. I however don't have room for a spray booth or a dehydrator and I seem to do well without them. I also don't have room for a paint rack, or many paint racks either. I also seem to get by with a minimal amount of tools as well, which works for me. While we're in the same hobby, many of us accomplish the same objective in different ways.  

Thats why I said "elements". a lot the same, used, stored differently.... to get much the same "end-result".

Edit:

I forgot to mention, I myself, buy when I see things at good prices (EVEN if that means I make a second trip) if the price is just "that good" so, being I shop when price is almost un-passable, I then must "store" items......  Hence paint, glue, parts, even tools (if found) for future builds and use. Things I know, I'll use!

Edited by 426-Hemi
See "Edit:"

Where do you guys find these testors paint racks at for I don't have one yet??? O.o

and btw wasn't there a thread already of WORKBENCH SATURDAYS that show pics of your benches on to?

Sean,

I myself have had a GREAT relationship with the local hobby shops "Manager" for over a decade, when he got new shelving to reset the store, I was asked if I had interest in the old ones.... Naturally, the old ones used and pretty much beat (paint wise) but sturdy and all structurally SO, I took 'em, ALL for the taking I had to take them all to get just one but I had no issue with taking them all like that as they store pretty easily and at the time I got them, I myself was resetting the work benches in my shop so...... -And he knew that! Dave, the store manager, knew I had TONS of paint, I was always in there buying from him too! I got deals on all the Testors paint. I got Testors Model Masters "Metalizers" 5 for $1.00 in the end as it wasn't selling, and it was old (by a few years of shelf life) and for $16, I bought all he had! Right after that is when he seen me on my next visit, "Hey Johnny, ya need some paint shelving" I hear this and my ears begin to grow pointy LOL "Why yes, what ya got in mind Dave?" LOL -And thats how I got the racks I got!

The other bit of advice I could tell you, is watch for stores closing, (I HATE THAT, but....) thats one good way to get old paint racks, OR a hobby shop thats moving/relocating, a lot of times (at least in my area) they sell off the empty racks, and get new for the new location.... These times, you might nail a rack for $5.00, maybe even less depending on how fast they wanna empty the place out.....

I have a room dedicated to the hobby. It's attached to the back of my garage where I work on my larger scale hobby things. I've been away from the bench for well over a year with some health issues, but I've cleaned up the room and started building about a month or so ago. Some of the pictures aren't too good because of the sunlight that had to be shaded when I took them.

Ken

Where do you guys find these testors paint racks at for I don't have one yet??? O.o

I had always wanted a paint rack but could never locate one anywhere. Last year I happened to mention it to a friend, & she just happened to have one!

She had owned a 2nd hand crafts store & when they closed, it went into storage. She was nice enough to give it to me along with 5 model kits that she had saved all these years.

I cleaned the rack up best I could. Still might have it powder coated as I have a good friend in the business. I am however looking for the complete paint labels for my rack. A couple of them were torn in half & missing & I need to replace them. Anyone have a picture of them so I can see what the paint colors I am missing are?

• 11 months later...