Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

New paint application for models?

Found a video (on the page with this one) that has a kit you can buy to do model sized stuff . Consists of pre-designed film print (lots of designs) and 4 or 5 cans for the application but I can't seem to find any info on cost. They do have a FB page but seem to be unresponsive  

That's absolutely amazing. I believe if it can be done on car parts it would probably work in scale. I also agree with Cobraman about full size design not looking right in 1/25-1/24 scale. But maybe they do offer more stuff now. Thanks for sharing this. I really liked it.   Jeff 

I have a friend who had his glock pistol done in woodgrain. Gun looks just like it was made of wood. I didn't think it would hold up, but it isn't wearing off. You absolutely could do a model car body like that. There are a million different designs out there you could use. Ken

As for scale models, I remember a few years ago someone had a technique where they sprayed different colors on top of a vat of water. Then the model body was lowered into the water and then removed and set to dry. The paint would adhere to the body in a random pattern. I'm sure that you could also do this with smaller parts also.   

I think that was called "Swirladelic " or something like that. I think Henry Borger ( ? ) did an article in an old Car Model magazine.

The original issue of the KISS Van in the 70's was painted using that technique.  The painting instructions were included with the kit.

KISS_Custom_Chevy_Van_AMT_2501_25th.jpg