Model Cars Magazine Forum

Words/Phrases You're Sick Of Hearing?

Snake45

someone in this thread typed "creds"... think about that for a second (or two).

I find the corporate term "continuous improvement" to be rather annoying, has there only been random stagnation previously?

I also find ISO9000 certification to be misconstrued as making a quality product. Being ISO9000 certified just means you have a product/procedure that is made/performed per a specified set of instructions, it doesn't mean that what is made/performed is made or performed well. (I could be wrong about this but that is the understanding I got out of the training.)

The constant bombardment of people saying "I'm going to (insert random task here) then I'll be right back, okay?" then they immediately vacate the area without waiting for a response. Lately, I've been responding rather quickly "what if it's not okay?". I did this to a dental assistant three times within an hour before she got the hint.

"Stand down". It seems I have to hear this term every day on the news or read it somewhere. It sounds stupid even though I know what it means. Who was the first person to say this and why has it become the cool thing to say?

Car/truck commercials saying "Introducing the all new......" It is NOT ALL NEW! Compare it to last years car or truck and barely anything has changed.

someone in this thread typed "creds"... think about that for a second (or two).

That would be me. I used the slang term "street creds" (street credentials), a quality that makes you likely to be accepted by ordinary young people who live in cities because you have the same fashions, styles, interests, culture and opinions. Usually done by some geek from a cul-de-sac community in the middle of NorthSouthWestWiscoTuckyBraskaVaniaGon for three reasons:

1. To impress their friends back home 

2. To impress the residents of their new neighborhood in a high crime area (which they moved to because of the cheap rents) that they are "down with it", "being real" and are embracing the local street culture

3. An attempt to prevent a beatdown and having their Macbook and iCrap devices stolen by those same residents who think they're full of cr ap.

Nine times out of ten, it doesn't work. They end up getting ripped off and go back to that cheap tenement apartment only to find that somebody broke in and cleaned the place out. 

There was a blogger who called herself "Becoming Brooklyn". This steam shovel-jawed cankle queen proclaimed herself a seasoned, hardcore city rat after three months here. BB would give tips to, heh, "newcomers" on how to survive in the city, prattle on about the most ridiculous things like being able to buy loose cigarettes ("loosies") at the corner bodega, the best authentic gluten-free New York pizza and so on. One time, she was babbling on about the goodie basket full of "New York" treats she received. This was too good to pass up. I asked her if there was any "Coney Island Whitefish" included. If you aren't familiar with the term, google it. You'll get a good laugh. Anyway, she replied, "No, there isn't; but, it sounds delish!" Not too long afterwards, she shut the blog down. 

Edited by SfanGoch

She probably found fame and fortune after releasing her "Coney Island Whitefish Cookbook", published by a bunch of pencil-pants-wearing delta-male hipsters who wouldn't recognize one if they saw it, and who have no need to engage in the ridiculously passe practice of "knowing anything at all about what you're talking about".

Her first financial success was followed shortly thereafter by the best-selling "1001 Things To Do with Coney Island Whitefish", after which she took her new-found riches and moved to a more rural north (with several former members of her publishing house) where she's once again blogging to newcomers under the witty handle of "Ploughed in Poughkeepsie".

Delish indeed, and guaranteed gluten-free.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The elusive transmission that only seems to be offered in Hispanic-speaking countries. The any-speed Manuel. How hard is it to proof read?  

Or the rarest GM vehicle ever. The Chevy Camero. You might have a little better luck selling it if you actually know what it is.

One of the words used by people my own age that has thankfully died off is the term "Clutch!" The only time I care about a clutch is if I'm riding in a vehicle with a manual transmission. 

I also love to mess with people who can't properly pronounce Porsche. My dad slapped the proper pronunciation into me when I was younger. The "e" at the end is there for a reason. It's not silent. Then there's Willys........ I can go on for hours....

Edited by wrecker388

Right up there with "boss" is "big man", apparently a favored form of address used by panhandlers in several parts of the country to preface a request for a handout.

I have lived in the south 30 years and they still use "big man". 

Edited by slusher

Good thread!

What has been buggin' me lately is that some people use the word "ask" instead of "question".  So, instead of saying "What was the question?" they say "What was the ask?"  Like, WTF! ;)  But seriously, that bothers me.

Edited by peteski

One time on another forum someone referred to another poster as a "pre-madonna".

He could have implied that both Madonna and the other poster were involved in some type modeling. This particular poster probably started car modeling prior to 1978, when the Material Girl embarking on a short-lived career in armpit hair modeling. So, referring to this poster as a "pre-madonna' would be factually and technically correct, Your Honor.

Edited by SfanGoch

Misuse of "your" and "you're".

Same for "whose" and "who's".

And "its" and "it's".

The language has its share of inconsistencies, and it's sometimes not really obvious as to how to use your words right, or if you're going to make little mistakes that make you seem illiterate. Of course, who's to say whose place it is to correct mistakes in English, and why should anyone care anyway?  ;)

I hate those alot.

Edited by sjordan2