Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

The Lakeland, FL store still had tons of Hot Wheels Camaros, a few Falcon Rancheros and a fresh case of the Super Sno-Sport which is of no interest to me or anyone else judging by the number of kits on the shelf. It's still interesting to me how this batch of kits seems to be lingering on the shelves. I suppose the resellers are still trying unload the last hoard they got from Ollie's!

I grabbed the last Surfer Van and 2 '70 Corvettes that I found by doing a little digging.

Went to the store in Mooresville NC. They had a nice display set up that had the Rat Fink trailers, but no trucks. I looked around the rest of the store and hidden in the back on roll around carts, wedged in between the carpet, to the point you had to literally dig them out, were quite a few toys. There were several of the 4070a Rat Fink trucks. I picked up 3. One thing that I have learned about Ollie stores, is to check the entire store before giving up. The last go around, I found the semi kits in various places around the store.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

I see the VW gasser on eBay and the guy advertises it as being able to be built Gasser, Custom or Stock. I don't think so. LOL

No way this thing can be built stock.  Says shortened body right on the box.

Does say build 1 of 4 ways.  Drag, Street, Dune Beetle, or Open Dune Buggy.

Edited by fat50
typo

Thank you Chris. I have two. I might build one as it's not my usually type of build. I usually just do stock. And I'm doing the same thing. Have them on my Facebook Marketplace on my $15.00 kit page.  $15 plus shipping. With state tax it costs me $14.01 for the kit. Plus the cost of a new box. I'm not making anything on it. Just helping people get something they can't get at their Ollies. I have the Post Office truck set aside for someone but haven't heard if they wanted it of not.

Edited by ewetwo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

Thank you Chris. I have two. And I'm doing the same thing. Have them on my Facebook Marketplace on my $15.00 kit page.  $15 plus shipping. With state tax it costs me $14.01 for the kit. Plus the cost of a new box. I'm not making anything on it. Just helping people get something they can't get at their Ollies. I have the Post Office truck set aside for someone in the forum but haven't heard if they wanted it of not.

Modelers helping modelers, i'd buy you a beer if you were closer....

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Went to the store in Mooresville NC. They had a nice display set up that had the Rat Fink trailers, but no trucks. I looked around the rest of the store and hidden in the back on roll around carts, wedged in between the carpet, to the point you had to literally dig them out, were quite a few toys. There were several of the 4070a Rat Fink trucks. I picked up 3. One thing that I have learned about Ollie stores, is to check the entire store before giving up. The last go around, I found the semi kits in various places around the store.

Good point. 

6 hours ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

That’s true. Store here in rockingham NC has MPC monopoly kits mixed in with the board games lol. 

I hit my local Ollie’s (Merrillville Indiana) to see what they had…bunch of T Depot Hacks, a few Rat Fink trailers, some kinda Wacky Racers kit, the Galaxy kit, a bunch of Hot Wheels Camaros plus one Groove Boss and one Copperhead (both of which followed me home:

IMG_2173.thumb.jpeg.7cf054b782e491068204e0b233e13bf4.jpeg

IMG_2174.jpeg.edd323b9252df299deb739b7d832e65b.jpeg

I was really hoping to find a second Groove Boss, but their kits were scattered all over the store in different places and my wife didn’t have the patience for me to make a second lap…

On 8/21/2023 at 10:23 PM, CabDriver said:

I hit my local Ollie’s (Merrillville Indiana) to see what they had…bunch of T Depot Hacks, a few Rat Fink trailers, some kinda Wacky Racers kit, the Galaxy kit, a bunch of Hot Wheels Camaros plus one Groove Boss and one Copperhead (both of which followed me home:

IMG_2173.thumb.jpeg.7cf054b782e491068204e0b233e13bf4.jpeg

IMG_2174.jpeg.edd323b9252df299deb739b7d832e65b.jpeg

I was really hoping to find a second Groove Boss, but their kits were scattered all over the store in different places and my wife didn’t have the patience for me to make a second lap…

Had to run to Lowes last night so I finally had a chance to stop in at the M'ville store.  No restock, and not much left.  One Copperhead dragster misplaced on a shelf in an aisle away from all the other Round 2 kits.

They had maybe 8 of the '64 Galaxie kits left, but get this: a couple were priced at $9.99 instead of $12.99.  I guess that's my threshold, since one of them followed me home even though I already have several earlier issues in the stash...

20230814_202919-1.jpg

Edited by Robberbaron
  • Like 2