Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

17 hours ago, paul alflen said:

I hate to say this, but these were not made for Ollies this time. It is an inventory dump of slow sellers to get them off the books of Round 2. The new fiscal year must have begun and the investment/management co (that owns 50% of stock) probably likes to cash out old slow selling models. How many guys here would have purchased any of these kits at full retail? see what I'm saying?

11 hours ago, Mark said:

...a couple of these are due to timing IMO.  The 3-in-1 Nova wagon came out not long after the Craftsman version...for a few bucks extra you got two engines, a ton of customizing parts, and a trailer.  I know that swayed me, though I did pick up a Craftsman wagon after getting two of the 3-in-1 kits...

My own observations on the Nova wagon: I snagged a Craftsman when it first became available at my LHS. They immediately sold out, and after that they couldn't keep them on the shelves.  Eventually their wholesaler ran out and needed to wait for the second run.  When my LHS finally got them again, I got another Craftsman, then got one of the 3-in-1 kit when those came out shortly after

As much as I like the subject, eventually I get my fill.  I suspect the same applies to most others who bought these kits.  Don't forget that Round 2 is now on their third variation of this kit with the Coke version.  My suspicion is they've done fine with these.

Even with three, I'll admit I might get one more if these show up at my Ollies.

Edited by Robberbaron
  • Like 1

I hope the Merritt Island store has more of those Falcon Rancheros, I have business over that way Wednesday morning!

As an aside, I looked at the dates on the three kits I got Sunday. They all date from 2021. Makes you wonder if they really have been sitting somewhere all this time. It really amazes me Round 2 keeps popping out reissues of reissues, how many times has the '50 Ford convertible or '34 Ford Pickup, etc etc been reissued? You'd think they would reach market saturation at some point. Maybe they have and that's why Ollie's is getting them. It will be interesting to see what they put out around Christmas time.

3 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

My thoughts exactly.   One of the local Wal Marts had about half of the kits I've seen shown on this thread. 

I keep expecting to see the 70 1/2 Camaro or Grumpy Vega show up. 

I THINK it's more like WalMart got the over stock R2 had, selling at a higher retail. Then with more overstock still on hand, the rest went to Ollie's who wanted a better price than WalMart was willing. 

When you run a kit and produce let's say 5K. You sell 3K of them instantly. But your profit is tied to the 2K worth of kits in the warehouse. Dumping them frees capital to move forward. IKHO only. Thx

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 1:00 AM, slusher said:

The Lamborghini Diablos did not sell good for Hobby Lobby even at marked at 40% off!  Those are a few years back since Hobby  Lobby had them"….

I wouldn't have bought one. It's not really the subject matter for me. (Maybe it is for some?) Its the "classic cruiser" box art. However my wife did pick one up for me, and it turned out to be a pretty decent kit.

20230408_191703.thumb.jpg.6b57edfd9a353c769afdc77805ed3016.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rbray47 said:

I wouldn't have bought one. It's not really the subject matter for me. (Maybe it is for some?) Its the "classic cruiser" box art. However my wife did pick one up for me, and it turned out to be a pretty decent kit.

20230408_191703.thumb.jpg.6b57edfd9a353c769afdc77805ed3016.jpg

You did a fantastic job!

I honestly think that my local Olie's is probably among the worst in terms of model kits. I popped in today (it's in the same strip mall as my post office) hoping to find one of those discoun t AMT Ford surfer vans (the extra goodies included are worth the cost) but all I found was a bunch of late model foof, a few Vipers and a few '57 Nomad kit. No interest there to say the least. Makes me not even want to go in there at all anymore.

33 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

I honestly think that my local Olie's is probably among the worst in terms of model kits. I popped in today (it's in the same strip mall as my post office) hoping to find one of those discoun t AMT Ford surfer vans (the extra goodies included are worth the cost) but all I found was a bunch of late model foof, a few Vipers and a few '57 Nomad kit. No interest there to say the least. Makes me not even want to go in there at all anymore.

To be fair Ollie's is not a model or even hobby shop. It's a overstock seller. They order nothing. In this case R2 or however said I got 2,000 assorted model kits....you want them?.  They said yep! When the model arrive at their dist center they just throw X number of cases into trucks headed for stores. No rhyme or reason.  Taking time to divide up each case so each store gets the same mix takes a LOT of time.....and time is money.  I'd LOVE to have gotten some Nova wagons and 64 Fords but the luck of the draw was not with me. My store must have gotten50 of the Caddy Shark Surf wagon....others ZERO.  The nature of Ollie's methods. 

But you are right it's a horrible hobby store!!!

5 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

To be fair Ollie's is not a model or even hobby shop. It's a overstock seller. They order nothing. In this case R2 or however said I got 2,000 assorted model kits....you want them?.  They said yep! When the model arrive at their dist center they just throw X number of cases into trucks headed for stores. No rhyme or reason.  Taking time to divide up each case so each store gets the same mix takes a LOT of time.....and time is money.  I'd LOVE to have gotten some Nova wagons and 64 Fords but the luck of the draw was not with me. My store must have gotten50 of the Caddy Shark Surf wagon....others ZERO.  The nature of Ollie's methods. 

Mines always got plenty of battel ships, helicopters and late model junk. 
Pass!

7 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Maybe we need an Ollie’s swap thread!

• Like 1

This was the first Christmas season that my local Walmart had kits. Soon after the holidays guys were reporting these hitting the clearance aisle for $2-5 a kit.. but my store? Nooo! They still have the aisle end display at full price!    Exton PA store

On 7/15/2023 at 8:48 PM, atomicholiday said:

So we hit two different stores today.  As I mentioned, one was a bust, but Anderson IN had a few.  I hadn’t seen this one before so I picked one up.

IMG_2913.jpeg.a357cd0117d84e77691f10301b3dc14e.jpeg

You'll like this kit...highly detailed with a huge part count especially in the suspension!

• Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 1:36 PM, Dave Van said:

Ollies is not a hobby store but a store filled with last years, or previous years’ excess junk. Don5 get me wrong, you’d be surprised what can find there especially hardcover books at dirt cheap prices. I’ve picked up a couple in the past - mostly historical reads or aviation/auto related books.

• Like 1

Hit the Fort Wayne Ollie’s again tonight.  Selection is still poor.  Very few of the AMT kits.  But they DID have the one I’ve been searching for.  Been trying to find the surf van for a few weeks now.  Picked these up today.  Got the vette… just because.👍

IMG_2938.jpeg.ffe5015863563338663899b230b8b12a.jpeg

• Like 2