Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

I made a stop at a “local” Ollie’s today in Woonsocket, RI. They said they’ve never seen model kits there before. Since I’m home alone for a few more hours and can bring some new kits in the house without and repercussions I called the Ollie’s in Seekonk, MA to see if they have anything in stock…another dead end. They said they have never had any either. So if anyone in the area was wondering, save yourself the trip. 

13 hours ago, Tarkmucker said:

I made a stop at a “local” Ollie’s today in Woonsocket, RI. They said they’ve never seen model kits there before. Since I’m home alone for a few more hours and can bring some new kits in the house without and repercussions I called the Ollie’s in Seekonk, MA to see if they have anything in stock…another dead end. They said they have never had any either. So if anyone in the area was wondering, save yourself the trip. 

I have seen model kits at the Woonsocket store but few and far between. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

They might be dribbling stuff out there from their last buyout, much as they have been doing with the Toys R Us leftovers the last two or three Christmas seasons.

Revell and Round 2 seem to be able to sell everything they can crank out for the most part, so I wouldn't expect to see too much in the closeout stores at this point.

I agree Mark. There is Power outage at the closest store to me. I can not go look before work.  The ad just shows  The old Z0 Vette  that has been there before,  Dodge VTS Pickup, 32 Ford Blue car on the box, Viper RT/10.  the Old Tri motor Ford plane a Stearman PT-17 BI Plane last an AH-64 Apache Helicopter . Everything is Revell or Monogram

Just not sure why they would sit on this stuff when they really didn't have much to offer at Christmas time. Maybe the shipping container was lost at the docks. 

I just came from the Ollie's near here. I wanted the Dodge VTS pickup, but they didn't have any. They had the others in the ad, and a few more. I picked up three kits I didn't really need pretty much as a thank you to Revell for putting them out there and to Ollie's for carrying them. I'll post them in the other thread when I get home. 

1 minute ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

I just came from the Ollie's near here. I wanted the Dodge VTS pickup, but they didn't have any. They had the others in the ad, and a few more. I picked up three kits I didn't really need pretty much as a thank you to Revell for putting them out there and to Ollie's for carrying them. I'll post them in the other thread when I get home. 

What week’s flyer is this from?

I stopped at one on the way home today.  Mostly the Revell kits already mentioned (no Viper or pickup kits) but they did have an Atlantis "land, sea, and air" set reminiscent of the Monogram gift sets from the Fifties and Sixties.

My Ollie's had a good number of kits.  99 Cobra, Dodge P/U, Viper.........

I bought a 32 Ford, Lambo and Cobra Mustang. But @ $13 each it adds up fast......but since MSRP on new kits is $40 it's a 3 for 1 deal???

UPDATE: I notice ALL the kits the Ollie's price sticker is UNDER the shrink wrap. Are these kits being made just for Ollie's??? Is Ollie's unwrapping each kit, price sticker on and then new shrink wrap?  I bet they are being made for Ollies......they are all tools/kits not in the current line or even of late.  

That sticker under wrap is gonna make it tough on the re-sellers!!! 

OLLIES.jpg

Edited by Dave Van
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

UPDATE: I notice ALL the kits the Ollie's price sticker is UNDER the shrink wrap.

One day at Ollie's quite a while back I found a kit (I think it was a Lindberg Chrysler Atlantic) that had an inscription on the box in Sharpie. It was an inspirational note. I think it came from one of the models for veterans-type thing. Very odd.

I was wondering the same thing about Ollie's and their wrappings. 

2 hours ago, Dave Van said:

I bought a 32 Ford, Lambo and Cobra Mustang. But @ $13 each it adds up fast......but since MSRP on new kits is $40 it's a 3 for 1 deal???

UPDATE: I notice ALL the kits the Ollie's price sticker is UNDER the shrink wrap. Are these kits being made just for Ollie's??? Is Ollie's unwrapping each kit, price sticker on and then new shrink wrap?  I bet they are being made for Ollies......they are all tools/kits not in the current line or even of late.  

OLLIES.jpg

I know on scalemates the monogram dodge just has 2022 change??? So who knows.  There already on ebay, and 1 has no shrink wrap and with the ollie sign still on, and 2 sold for $29.  So i doubt it's gonna be too hard for anyone to sell them, and there's another one on there still wrapped with a white paper covering the ollie label going for $40.

Edited by Dpate

2 hours ago, Dave Van said:

OLLIES.jpg

I believe it was established that Round2 was doing special runs for Ollies a year or two ago so it wouldn't surprise me if Revell wanted in on the action too. 

BTW, if you are an Airplane Builder, That Revell PT-17 Stearman, is a great Kit. Two Different Props (wood and metal), great decals (even including little 'N-numbers' so you can make a OG WW2 build or make a modern Warbird by adding the Civil Markings. I have a couple in the stash. It was tooled in the late 20-teens, so the tooling is both clear and sharp, as well as very clever on the engineering end of things.

Buy them with confidence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

I believe it was established that Round2 was doing special runs for Ollies a year or two ago so it wouldn't surprise me if Revell wanted in on the action too. 

All the kits I bought were manufactured in Sept 2022, so to me it seems these were made just for Ollie's. The instructions and decals on the 32 Ford have a 2010 copyright on them......which I think was the last time the kit was in the catalog. 

My store had the SR-71 snap kit too.