Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

3 hours ago, Dave Van said:

All the kits I bought were manufactured in Sept 2022, so to me it seems these were made just for Ollie's. The instructions and decals on the 32 Ford have a 2010 copyright on them......which I think was the last time the kit was in the catalog. 

My store had the SR-71 snap kit too. 

Yeah, it seems like they just re-run the last issue of the kit even down to old box art. I guess they save money that way. 

• Like 1

Stopped at my local store on my way one from work.  Got the last two '32 Fords, and one of the Ram pickups.  Also picked up one of the Diablos to build with my son, since he's a Lambo nut.

They also had the Ford police car, Raptor snap kit, Viper, and LOTS of the Mustang SVT and Corvette Z06.

My wife picked me up one of each tonight from the Ollie's in Lexington. 

Back when kits were all mostly the same price ranges, I would only buy what interested me. But nowadays at $13 each, vs $30-40 elsewhere, I'm just going to pick up any that I find. 

Went to the Airport Road store in Allentown, Pa. They did not have the Dodge pickup, but had the other stuff people are talking about. I got 3 of the '32 Fords. The other store by me, on Tilghman St. in Allentown, had all of the listed kits. I grabbed 2 more of the '32's. Passed on the other stuff because I already have 2 of the C5 Z06s, and probably would never build any of the others. I always liked the Monogram '32 roadster, a lot of good stuff in there and they build up nicely. I see these kits are all over Ebay already, making the shrewd prospectors millions! Many with the Ollie's price tag still on them!

This must be some kind of regional thing. My Ollies (right up the street from me) has never had anything even remotely automotive model kit wise. I saw a couple of battle ships a while back. I still check it from time to time as it's in the same strip mall as my local post office and the dollar store. 

I went to a car wash across the street from the local Ollies today, but didn't go in...interesting, nothing I need there, but those Revell kits mostly look like items from 10 years ago or more (going by the box art style)...I remember getting the Mustang Cobra in that style box art at least 10 years ago.. 

Edit: scrolled back and read some of the posts in this thread from the last few days, explains the above...

Edited by Rob Hall

15 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

I went to a car wash across the street from the local Ollies today, but didn't go in...interesting, nothing I need there,

Yea but you buy it anyway!  😃  Two years ago I passed an Ollies on my way home from work every day.  I bought a couple dozen kits over a few weeks... nothing I needed.... and they are all still sitting where I stacked them!   🥺

I stopped by there today and picked up the Corvette and the Viper and got home and had something to happen that has never happened to me in all my years of modeling, opened the Corvette and surprise surprise it wasn't a Corvette instead it was the Mustang in the Corvette box not sure who made that goof up but oh well I'll just build the Mustang instead.🙃

26 minutes ago, PappyD340 said:

I stopped by there today and picked up the Corvette and the Viper and got home and had something to happen that has never happened to me in all my years of modeling, opened the Corvette and surprise surprise it wasn't a Corvette instead it was the Mustang in the Corvette box not sure who made that goof up but oh well I'll just build the Mustang instead.🙃

Kinda proof that these were made together and just for Ollie's......................

• 3 weeks later...

It seems the close-out / buy-out / discount retailer OLLIE'S has a deal with Revellogram and is selling some "B grade" kits( my opinion) for $12.99.  The price stickers are UNDER the cellophane! If you live near one of these stores you should swing by and see if your store has them. I bought 2 kits today because another member here passed the word. The kits are  Monogram 1:24 cars - I saw a Viper, A SVT Mustang, a Corvette, Lamborghini,  and a Deuce roadster(which I grabbed 2 of). There was also a Revell Apache chopper in 1:48 and some other stuff. Just sayin'....check it out!   Good luck!

IMG_3868.jpg.610c20b3d13c67fc0f7f75ef4b450c85.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2023 at 12:12 PM, BlackSheep214 said:

This talk of Ollie's stocking model kits had me curious to see at my local Ollie's store. Yup... they have them and this is what they had to offer.

I am very tempted to go back and grab the Ford Trimotor kit since I do build aircraft kits as well.

20230218_114419.jpg

Stopped by earlier today. Looks about identical to mine except some late model cop cars. Nothing that I build. Yawn. 😒

Strange, around here they didn't jump off of the shelves as has happened previously, especially with Round 2 stuff.  I was in the one store I can access on my way home from work a couple of weeks ago, and they still had plenty of everything.

• 3 months later...

So, Ollie's has some more kits. I saw on one of the Facebook groups that they now have some AMT kits.  The only one I can recall from what was posted there is the AMT Groove Boss modified.  So I hit the Ollie's in Cherry Hill, NJ, and found the below.

I was a bit disappointed see the Nova wagon there - I would have hoped it would have sold better.  Note all kits are $12.99, including the Monogram kits that hit Ollie's in the spring (the ones with the Ollie's sticker under the cellophane.)  I believe they were $17.99 in the spring, so if I am remembering that correctly, this must be a second batch with a lower pre-price, as these stickers are under the cello too.  

The Facebook post showed more AMT kits than this, so hopefully your store will have a broader selection.

IMG_1950.thumb.jpg.003785de09579ae2ab84a0918dd44229.jpg

• Like 2