Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's strike again

Stopped by my local Ollie's today (30 miles one way) all they had were the Camaro, the 49 Merc, Pumper Firetruck (plenty of those), and a couple if the IH kits.  There were also a couple of the Civil War Artillery kits - 2 Confederate and one Union.  There was a lot of bare shelf space, so evidently they had a selection.  When we have the local model show I will usually set up a table to sell off a few of my overstock of kits.  Couple of years back I had a '62 Chevrolet Convertible I had bought at Ollie's a couple years earlier.  Normally I will remove the sales stickers, even the Hobby Lobby stickers and place my price tag on there.  On this particular Chevy kit I had forgotten to remove the sticker, some guy came by and bought the kit for the price I was asking.  On the Ollie's kits I will normally double the price, which gives me some negotiating room.  Really surprised when he paid me full price with that big orange Ollie's sticker on the top of the box showing how much I had paid for it.

10 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

We figured out on here last Christmas that these are runs of kits that Round2 is doing directly for Ollie's, rather than the good ole days when they were actually getting close outs from hobby distributors.  This all started with a fake warehouse fire at Lindberg years ago, and then there were a few years when there would be a good mix of Revell and Round2 stuff, but the past two years or so, especially since Hobbico imploded and Revell was sold it's only this - eclectic - choice of Round2 kits.

They do these twice a year, once in the summer - I'd argue right as schools let out of the year, and then again at Christmas.  Looks like there's a few new things to this "dump" than there was at Christmas time last year, but a few of them are the same kits.  Either they sold well enough they ordered more, of they've been hanging out in the warehouse for the past 6 months.  

I believe this is the honest deal. The fall/winter time specials were all March to July 2020 UPC dates.

This go around they all looked to be January 2021 UPC dates. 

My most local store had all the kits shown in the recent posts, where the last blowout we got limited cars (late model 300Ms and curbside Corvettes), even less big trucks but gobs of Lindberg Civil War kits and SNARK kits. 

One Ollie's is 28 miles east of where I live. They had Goose egg zip zilch not one car or truck kit. Was told that two guys with a box truck bought every single car and truck kit. Must be nice to have such deep pockets!

1 hour ago, ranma said:

One Ollie's is 28 miles east of where I live. They had Goose egg zip zilch not one car or truck kit. Was told that two guys with a box truck bought every single car and truck kit. Must be nice to have such deep pockets!

Undoubtedly someone who vends at shows, and with those coming back this year. What better way to get inventory? /sarcasm

I don't know where you guys are getting the Gremlins.  In the two years that Ollie's seems to have been doing this, I have yet to see a single Gremlin at the 3 Ollies semi-close to me (southeastern PA).  But I do see a lot of them on Ebay with a $29.99 asking price.

10 hours ago, Karl Sheffer said:

I don't know where you guys are getting the Gremlins.  In the two years that Ollie's seems to have been doing this, I have yet to see a single Gremlin at the 3 Ollies semi-close to me (southeastern PA).  But I do see a lot of them on Ebay with a $29.99 asking price.

The Hatboro PA store on Blair Mill Road had several Gremilns as of yesterday. They seemed to be running low on the Hurst Olds, but had everything else. 

10 hours ago, Karl Sheffer said:

I got Gremlins at the Ollie’s near Trooper / Norristown back in November.  I haven’t been back there since.

On 6/13/2021 at 9:33 AM, CapSat 6 said:

The Hatboro PA store on Blair Mill Road had several Gremilns as of yesterday. They seemed to be running low on the Hurst Olds, but had everything else. 

Thanks Bill.  If you wouldn't mind getting up to 5 (depending on how many they have), I would be most grateful!  I appreciate your offer!

When they get a batch of new items in, they generally include them in the next couple of weekly fliers.  I don't get their e-mails, but I'd imagine they are pretty much the same deal as the flyers.

I went out to Ollie's website and filled on their survey and told them the stuff that happened at my local stores.  Surprisingly I got a call from the area manager who blamed it on shipping issues/staffing issues at the warehouse and that they track any pre-sales to prevent stuff not being available.  I said that isn't happening as the one pic I posted was taken at the store opening the day the sale started.  She said it's the Amazon sellers that are hoarding them and they try to limit them to no more than half a case (yeah, that's not happening either).  The second store had nothing and when I asked the clerk she admitted to pulling some for her dad but he didn't want the one rig (I told her I would take it).  I said the Camaro and Escalades linger for months after the add and this time there wasn't even an empty box.  I invited her to visit this forum subject to see how widespread it is.

Point blank, I wanted one of each on the cars as I have a teenager that I actually talked into attending the local model car club meeting (he seemed to be into it!)  He is learning airbrushing so at $10/each, I will get him several kits to experiment on.