Model Cars Magazine Forum

Prince has died at 57

sjordan2

... people get all in a tizzy when some actor\actress, musician, etc goes, yet nobody bats an eye when a helicopter full of Marines is shot down, a pair of cops are assassinated in their squad car while eating lunch, or a firefighter is lost in a building trying to rescue someone who's trapped. 

Cause, like, celebrities are, like, important. And we'd all put our heads up celebrities butts if we only had the chance, and inhale the sweet sweet nectar therein. And they have a lot of money too. That makes them more important. Who cares if some broke never-heard-of-'em soldier or cop or fireman dies? Like WHO CARES?

Note: This is intended as sarcasm. Got it? Sar-cas-m. Too bad it's so true. 

The artist formerly known as   Logo. Hollow circle above downward arrow crossed with a curlicued horn-shaped symbol and then a short bar      I think it means "WTF?"

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Hit me hard...been a fan since I first heard 'Little Red Corvette' at age 12 on the radio...his music has long been part of the soundtrack of my life.  Saw him in concert twice...heard about it at work this morning, been listening on my phone all day to various Prince tracks...and that incredible Super Bowl half time...  :(

I saw and listen to Prince for the first time on television 'performing Party like it's 1999' in 81 or 82 I was 17.  Glad I own his music and Purple Rain movie.  His half time show and Aerosmith's  are the last ones I really enjoyed..

I'm sorry, but this kind of stuff really get's me...it's sad when anybody dies, but people get all in a tizzy when some actor\actress, musician, etc goes, yet nobody bats an eye when a helicopter full of Marines is shot down, a pair of cops are assassinated in their squad car while eating lunch, or a firefighter is lost in a building trying to rescue someone who's trapped.

The explanation is obvious.

When a well-known person dies, it hits a lot of people personally. A musician whose music you really liked, an actor whose movies you really loved, etc. When someone like that dies, it affects many thousands, if not millions, of people personally... so obviously there's going to be a big stir from the public.

When a cop gets gunned down in the street, it doesn't affect the masses, because the masses have never heard of the cop and didn't know the cop. So no mass reaction to someone the masses didn't know.

I'm not saying the cop's life was any less valuable than the "celebrity's" life... just explaining it from the human nature side of things.

No doubt about it. Whether or not your a fan of his, you gotta give him credit for being a great creative mind, performer and song writer. I think the reason it's hard to find his music on youtube or Pandora, is related to the legal issues he had with Warner Bros. back in the day. WB owned the brand "Prince", everything, the name, licensing, songs, everything. That's why he changed his name to the symbol (I believe it's supposed to stand for love). Then, once the contract ran out, he got some things, like the name, back. But I could be wrong. 

It is a sad day in the music world when someone like Prince passes away as he was a brilliant musician and incredible talent. The fact that he was very private and reclusive added to his legacy and made his death harder to believe. 

It has been reported by TMZ that he was treated last week for a drug overdose while flying back to Minnesota from Atlanta, and that is something I find very surprising as he was reported to be fanatical about his health. Close friends have stated that he eat a mostly vegan diet and worked out, something that no doubt allowed him to be the showman he was.

We seem to lose great artists every year, but with Glen Frey, David Bowie and Prince all passing in the last 6 months, there went a big part of musical life and makes me appreciate their music that much more.

When a well-known person dies, it hits a lot of people personally. A musician whose music you really liked, an actor whose movies you really loved, etc. When someone like that dies, it affects many thousands, if not millions, of people personally... so obviously there's going to be a big stir from the public.

When a cop gets gunned down in the street, it doesn't affect the masses, because the masses have never heard of the cop and didn't know the cop. So no mass reaction to someone the masses didn't know.

I'm not saying the cop's life was any less valuable than the "celebrity's" life... just explaining it from the human nature side of things.

Thanks for that Harry. I was about to say the same. Prince practically wrote and performed the soundtrack to my youth. He was everywhere and almost everyone knows a song or two of his that they like. Even if they don't know it was Prince that wrote it. Or will admit it.

Even if you don't care for his music, he was an incredible musician. Please Youtube the Hall of Fame induction performance of George Harrisons "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". It's done by some of the Traveling Wilburys, Steve Winwood and Georges son, when George was posthumously inducted as a solo artist. Prince does a very impressive guitar solo that ripped the roof of the place. Respect.

I only own two pieces of Prince music: Warren Zevon's cover of "Raspberry Beret" (doing bidness as Hindu Love Gods) and Stevie Nicks' "Stand Back," on which Mr. P. R. Nelson played keylboard.

He also wrote Stand Back for Stevie Nicks..They said he has a vault full of unreleased songs on CNN..

He also wrote Stand Back for Stevie Nicks..They said he has a vault full of unreleased songs on CNN..

He didn't write Stand Back, she did. She said it was pretty much a ripoff of LIttle Red Corvette, which she loved. She asked Prince to play keyboard on the song, and he agreed to do it. I've heard her tell the story a couple times.

He didn't write Stand Back, she did. She said it was pretty much a ripoff of LIttle Red Corvette, which she loved. She asked Prince to play keyboard on the song, and he agreed to do it. I've heard her tell the story a couple times.

My bad

Edited by slusher

I am a Prince fan, and I am SURE there is no need to "re-examine" myself!
Thanx for the comment from the OUTSKIRTS of wherever.

Did I say you did? I thought it was pretty clear that I was talking about the person I'd just finished mentioning in the sentence before that one, and generalizing about other's who behave the same way, but apparently not, so good job taking it personally. 

x-minus two million. I luv when the real colors shine.

Sorry southern states, you are behind the times.

Ha Ha!

Ah yes, we must be a racist Southerners. :wacko:

Yeah, I realize more people are going to hear about it and there are going to be people who listened to their music, watched their movies, etc, but they (most) didn't know that person (Prince in this case) any more than they didn't know that cop, firefighter, random dude in the Obituaries. For instance, I was a fan of Paul Walker...when I heard he'd died, I was like "man, that sucks," which is the same thought I have when I hear about anyone dying...I liked the movies I'd seen Paul Walker in, and his Hollywood reputation was "he was a good dude," but I certainly had no 'personal' attachment to him because I didn't actually know him. Besides, the main point I was getting at, was just like when MJ died, so many people that were never Prince fans are suddenly "devastated" that he's died. Just look at the album sales post-death...they've skyrocketed...it's as if people were like, "Oh yeah, Prince existed, I better buy his albums so I can jump on the bandwagon." I just don't get it.

Anyway, I was never intending to take away from the fact that he's died, and have no intention of making this into a disrespectful sounding slam against Prince and the fact that he's died. 

. Please Youtube the Hall of Fame induction performance of George Harrisons "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". It's done by some of the Traveling Wilburys, Steve Winwood and Georges son, when George was posthumously inducted as a solo artist. Prince does a very impressive guitar solo that ripped the roof of the place. Respect.

He certainly does. Worth checking out the Stevie Wonder+Prince+Sheila E "Superstition" at Paris Bercy video that pops up in the related vids as well. Totally different playing style, but equally world-class. There's nothing that guy couldn't make a guitar do...

I shall be getting out my "Sign O The Times" movie Blu-ray tonight -- one of the best concert movies ever filmed...

bestest,

M.

I don't know about drugs, but there were reports that he had some sort of flu, if that was anything like what I had a few weeks ago, I'm not surprised.  It not only got me, but both parents and most of my coworkers and our bosses all ended up with it, and ended up having to work with it in top of that!  Most of us have an occasional cough except Mom, who's is still rattley and still has partial loss of her voice and is still somewhat miserable.

The latest I heard is that his plane was forced to land in Moline, IL, because he OD'd on Percocet, which is a highly effective but also a highly addictive pain killer... and they gave him an antidote at the hospital to revive him. Apparently Prince has had severe pain in his hips for years and was probably on prescribed painkillers. But I can see if the guy was really hurting and just took too much painkiller. Apparently the story is that he's needed hip replacement surgery for years, but he kept putting it off because his religion (Jehovah's Witnesses) don't believe in blood transfusions, which would make hip surgery impossible... so he dealt with the pain with painkillers instead of surgery.

We'll just have to wait for the autopsy results.

How was he able to perform in Atlanta, where it was noted he was fine, allegedly develop "flu-like" symptoms ninety minutes into his flight back to Minnesota that same day which required emergency medical treatment in Illinois, then appear in good health at a party at Paisley Park on Saturday? One's physical condition doesn't fluctuate from feeling well to feeling bad and back to feeling well in such a short period of time when one has the flu. Out of the two theories as to the cause of death, you can safely scratch "flu" as the cause.

Not really Joe, there were times with the what ever it was we all had that I felt ok, then maybe maybe 90 minutes later I was trying to solder a battery connection for a customer's R/C Car and nearly passed out at the work bench with a hot iron (set at 800+ Degrees) in my hand and that went on for days at that?!

Edited by Joe Handley

In think PR and spin needs to be considered if the source of info is in the neighborhood of his handlers. Flu-like symptoms could mean headache, body ache, fatigue and more. Enough for agents to imply he's just under the weather, when he might actually be at odds with pain killers; too much, too little, wrong combinations with other meds, wrong conditions, etc. I rather doubt, flu was in and of itself the cause.