Model Cars Magazine Forum

Racing Sunbeam Tiger - Rollbar Relocated

Gluebomber

I really liked the Sunbeams that were posted a few days ago and thought you might enjoy seeing a racing version of the same car.

This is the same old AMT kit with many parts added from the AMT 289 Cobra and Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland.  Paint is Tamiya Spray Pure White decanted and airbrushed.  The decals were cobbled together from spares with the stripes and roundels cut from solid color decal sheets.

All comments, positive and negative, are welcome.  Thanks for looking!

Sunbeam Tiger .06.jpg

Sunbeam Tiger .04.jpg

Sunbeam Tiger .05.jpg

Sunbeam Tiger .10.jpg

Sunbeam Tiger .03.jpg

Edited by Gluebomber

Very nice model! I'm also wanting to build a racing Tiger. Yours is quite inspiring, the Cobra-esque graphics look great.

My only critique is with the roll bar location. While visually it looks good in the rear corners of the cockpit, ideally it would be placed much closer to the rear of the seats, and in fact the harnesses often attach to a portion of the rollbar, at least in more modern-built racers, including vintage racers.

65sun76655-4.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, Guys.

Bob, I wrestled with the placement of the rollbar.  I didn't want to use the convertible top boot so I used the bar to fill the space.  It looked like it would still provide the same protection for the driver so I went with it there.  I agree, though, the usual location would be immediately behind the seat.  Thanks for the comment.

That's a really nice looking Tiger ,  one of the nicest I've seen !  The one thing that caught my eye was the rollbar placement  , but I understand your reason for moving it back . . . and it doesn't affect the overall look .  Great job ! :)

Great historic racer, Larry!

Apart from the rollbar being a bit too far back, you really hit the nail with this one: stripes, roundels, engine and interior details - super!!!

(and I thought the Tiger was a boring kit so I missed it years ago when amt reissued it in their Blueprinter series....)