Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 VW Karmann Ghia

feretzrus

Started with Gunze Sangyo kit.  Has anyone else thought about this with this kits?  "I would love to get my hands on the guy who thought making the seats and door panels out of the same rubber as the tires was a good idea!"  I got around this little frustration by molding and casting the seats and door panels in something more friendly to paint.  (I did this with the Gunze Beetles too.) The fit between the door panels and body wasn't great either, so they had to be modified to the extent of moving the (separate) door pulls and window cranks back 1/8"!  Otherwise, a smooth build.  Yes, the color is factory stock, straight off the color chip sheet....

DSCF6019.JPG

DSCF6020.JPG

Nice! You're really cranking out those VW's!

I don't think I've ever seen the GS Ghia built up until now, only the Tamiya. I always wondered about the soft vinyl seats and door panels myself, but I've always had good luck painting them with Duplicolor automotive paint. Most of the Testors/Model Master lacquers seem to work pretty well on them, too. 

Hmmmm.....Interesting opinions on the "rubber interior" topic.  I guess what put me off trying to paint the rubber at all was

that eons ago I tried building the GS Bug and painting the seats with standard Testors and all it did was flake off or barely

stick at all.  Perhaps there was some sort of mold release on the rubber?  I ended up molding/casting the rubber parts in

resin, a material I had much more confidence in.  Thank You for all of your input Gentlemen! 

Looks great. Built the same kit a few years ago and ran into the same problems as you described in your write up. I used some Tamiya primer under paint and it worked on the vinyl interior (I left the seats as they were). The Gunze sports car series were fun builds and often the only choice if you wanted that particular car in your collection but all unfortunately came with the vinyl interiors. The Ghia was the only one that I built that had interior fit problems. I'd love to see these kits available again.