Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just an idea for reissues

It seems all we are going to ever get from RC2 is reissues of old kits. We get Tamp printed tires, colored glass, new/old decals. While I enjoy the old kits I am not going to buy them just for the above. I have 5- 49 Ford kits already!

Yesterday I pulled out the 65 Bonneville for a look, not TOO bad, but is it not economically feasible to just tool up a new decent chassis? Not talking about just this kit, but a lot of the old MPC and AMT offerings. Don't know about the dollars and cents end, but I MIGHT buy the reissues IF they were really improved. I guess as long as people buy the same old, same old, they won't pony up for anything much that is new. But isn't there a limit eventually for straight re issues?

What do you think? Just an idea.

I'll keep buying their reissues. Old technology and things like simple chassis don't bother me one bit. There are so many kits I missed over the years. Or had disappeared from the collection I had a kid. I love the old stuff. I don't mind building a detailed suspension and chassis under a more modern tool. Heck I didn't mind the detail of old kits like Revell Mysterion. But, there are still times I enjoy do a simple kit. I'd love to see AMT find, if they're there, their old Craftsman kits. I'll buy everyone they reissue.

And from hearing complains by others, of mistakes made in developing new kits. Do we really want a them to mess around and screw up a classic? Your a model builder. If you want more detail, build it. Maybe kit bash. But, I hope Round 2 does not listen to you on this. Because I still love the old stuff. And I'm willing to pay the money for it.

What do you think? 

I would certainly buy more reissues of some of the kits that had particularly well-proportioned bodies if they had upgraded chassis. 

One that comes immediately to mind in the AMT '57 Ford kit. The body proportions look good to me, but I'd really like to have a chassis without the exhausts molded in. Save me from having to do a lot of work, or swapping a Revell chassis under it.

I'm sure the same could be said for many of the older kits.

While we're at it, sure would be nice if Revell could correct the drooping rear roofline on the opening-door '57 Nomad. Otherwise, it's really a pretty decent kit.

Yeah, like that'll ever happen.  :D

I agree whole heartedly ,  I'd like to see a choice of auto or stick trans ,  separate console and separate buckets and bench seats . different pedals for the dash, and finally a choice of  big or small block engines. But as my dad used to say wish in one hand and you know the rest.

"One that comes immediately to mind in the AMT '57 Ford kit. The body proportions look good to me, but I'd really like to have a chassis without the exhausts molded in. Save me from having to do a lot of work, or swapping a Revell chassis under it."

YES! Classic or not, new chassis would be better! Yeah yeah, I know we can grind 'em off, use another chassis. THAT'S NOT MY POINT! LOL

Aircraft and armor modelers get every version of every subject there is, even models of vehicles that never even existed!

They get beautiful detail, fine molding and true scale. We get stuff from 1965. There's a place for everything, but Moebius seems to get it. Revell and Round2, not so much. I want MORE detail, not less. I'm not spending 30 dollars for a funky one piece chassis or molded in exhaust. I already HAVE all those old kits. 

Seems like a realistic way to upgrade those made for children kits!

Didn't they just do a '16 Camaro? And a Challenger in '09, and....

Selling old issues pays for new issues. They seem to care about the market, bringing back some stuff, restoring some tools. 

Rather them tool up a chassis for a 50yo body, or an all new kit of something not kitted? Maybe replace a lousy but high demand item like a 65 GTO with a new tool?

Guess we should spend some money on something we like, or look at tool layout on box before pulling trigger.

I don't buy everything that comes out, and I dislike some stuff, but the 57 tool is from 62-63? Body is awesome, I hate sedans, so one of my original issue bodies is going onto a Revell chassis. 

If you look at Round2's sci-fi issues, they're pretty cool. Hmmm, I wonder if huge sales there will generate tooling dollars for the car side?? Nahhh. Let's just rant. 

Like Mel Brooks said "Harrumph harrumph harrumph!":)

As long as straight reissues keep selling, they will keep reissuing them. The tooling was paid for long ago–the only new expense is maybe a new decal sheet and new packaging. Reissues are money makers for the kit companies, and they will sell them until we quit buying them. And from the looks of things, that's not anytime soon.

I would rather have a curbside with a spot on body (like an AMT craftsman) than a detailed kit with a proportion issue (Revell 69 Mustang) and other people would rather have the opposite. None of us are right or wrong.

As an engineer that designs injection molded plastic parts that are tooled by some of the same tool builders that made AMT tooling in the 90's I can tell you that a new multi piece chassis tool is a way more costly than you think. A "simple" change like removing the exhaust from a chassis could easily cost tens of thousands.

My vote would be to use that limited cash to restore "long lost" tools with missing parts of subjects we have not had in decades (like the 68 Coronet :) ).

I enjoy the reissues. I'm an older builder and the reissues take me back. Nice to have the chance to do the ones I did back in the day better. Plus they normally cost less than buying an original copy. Keep them coming !!!

I agree....   Kits i screwed up as a kid or let some joker on tv convince me it was cool to blow them up...( it was fun at the time lol ) are all welcome additions to my adult collection. I am thankfull for what all the companies are doing right now, wether it be new tools  or reissues I'll keep buying the kits that interest me the most ...even if it is the "same old"  with new tires and colered glass.   Just think what it would be like if there were no companys at all making kits.

Well God forbid we could have a good accurate body AND a desperate rear axle!! LOL

Even the level of late 60's MPC would be nice. Yes, I KNOW it would cost something. I really don't get why somebody always points that out. 

Fact is, model cars are considered TOYS by the majority of serious modelers,  because they are!

I enjoy the reissues tremendously, that's WHY I would like to see them improved!

I'm just a little bit more fussy than I was in 1964!

I would rather have a curbside with a spot on body (like an AMT craftsman) than a detailed kit with a proportion issue (Revell 69 Mustang) and other people would rather have the opposite. None of us are right or wrong.

Well, I'm with you on that one. B)

As long as straight reissues keep selling, they will keep reissuing them. The tooling was paid for long ago–the only new expense is maybe a new decal sheet and new packaging. Reissues are money makers for the kit companies, and they will sell them until we quit buying them. And from the looks of things, that's not anytime soon.

With that last line Harry, are you trying to tell us something? I sure hope so.

....well, guess I will throw in my 2 cents.....everyone has different tastes, interests, and even reasons for buying , building, or collecting the kits they enjoy. everyone also builds to the level that suits them in most cases as well, so that being said, the older MPC and AMT reissues are quite exciting to many guys who like that particular vehicle, and have a personal attachment to it for one reason or another. ease of building to achieve a fairly quick yet pleasing result has appeal to many, but if rivet counting and micro measuring each part in order to critique it for the rest of one's life is your bag, maybe that guy should buy something else.  moreover, the reissues by RC2 are a true blessing for many of us, and if molded in exhaust, or an incorrect seat pattern are an area that MUST be changed to satisfy some builders, then just buy one of the many, many other kits to correct your dilemma. that way, the industry gets supported from every angle, and that way more reissue's will come out for the rest of us that are happy as hell to get all we can......the Ace.....:P

I am with the keep the old kits as they are crowd. I don't even care or need the better tires/decals.

I like and want the old kits to be just the way they were when I first had them, or wanted them if I couldn't have them.

I  understand some people want better, and I don't have a problem with that. Best of all possible worlds would be for the manufacturers to sell the kits as is and have them updated. Like the white vs colored plastic issues.

Probably will never happen given economics though.

Russ

Agreed reissues sell and still are making money. We are still happy to buy the so their not going away anytime soon. New tooling costs money and with old kits selling, I can't see any changes to a selling product. The still bring back memories for so many of us...

I agree with most of ya all,so many of the older kits were gone by the time I was able to build them.so its nice...great what ever word fits.I would love to have updated kits with chassis plates with no exhaust,rear and front suspension, better looking brakes,separated interior seats,side panels for interior tubs.....all separated.so many other things to make them better.I don't know all the behind scenes of licensing and dollar issues.I know in my own business...no investment....which is risky to do....no return in dollars.

there is so many problems involved  in what we're talking about thats difficult for everyone to understand.I agree with what others have said...nobody is right or wrong.its humans,the way we are............Chris

I don't see that updating the kits is really makes sense financially. Also if you upgrade the chassis are you also going to update the engine. Then what about the inteior.

How many more units will they really sell to justify the tooling cost.

Round 2 for the most part spending their new tooling buget on sci fi. They will sell a lot more star wars and star trek kits in the long run.

Me I'm happy to get some of the older kits reissed. Its really nice when they  add back all the original parts that haven't been issued for years.

I don't see that updating the kits is really makes sense financially. Also if you upgrade the chassis are you also going to update the engine. Then what about the inteior.

How many more units will they really sell to justify the tooling cost.

Round 2 for the most part spending their new tooling buget on sci fi. They will sell a lot more star wars and star trek kits in the long run.

Me I'm happy to get some of the older kits reissed. Its really nice when they  add back all the original parts that haven't been issued for years.

.......like Smokey sang,,, ' I second that emotion'..........the Ace....:lol:

I'm a bit younger than most of the regulars here so I missed a bunch of these kits the first go round. All of the AMT semi kits, the Super Boss, the Blazing Bison, these recent reissues are the first time I've been able to buy these kits off the shelf without paying ebay rates.

You know, three months ago I would have agreed with the statement that Round 2 will continue to be all about just reissues.  

But the all-new, FULL DETAIL '16 Camaro SS kit they've just released contradicts that statement big-time.  Not only is it full detail, but it moves the game on in several areas for full-detail kits, in some ways, establishing a new benchmark for 1/25th scale full detail kits.  

If anyone doubts that statement, you may want to take a look at my full kit preview here....

As just one example, here's a copy of the instruction manual with just the first of 3 sections on how to assemble just the IRS suspension....  TIM DSC 0341

Round 2 is doing a great job on the reissues that I've seen, I like them and I'm not looking for a high level of detail when I buy one.  It is unlikely that the kit manufacturers in the 60's expected the product to last 50 years - but it's good that they have.  Would any new kit last that long?  With the resources that the kit manufacturers have available, more reissues in the current style and a couple of new kits would be good for me.