Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '77 Pacer Wagon - a new loser out of box!

Faust

I asked one of the aftermarket resin casters if they would make those wheels (since the '77 Pacer was just released and it includes different kind of wheels). He didn't say "no" so I figured that would try to gauge interest in those wheels. But It seems that there isn't much interest (probably not enough for the resin caster to make it worthwhile for him).  It makes sense that '77 Hornet used the same wheels (those were actually wheel covers for steel wheels, correct)?

Yes, they were painted or colored plastic covers held on by the chromed center cap which was bolted to the steel wheel. Unfortunately, the little 3/16th bolts that were used tended to rust away in wet snowy climates causing the whole assembly to vanish without a trace. Thus was the fate of mine.

I'm getting the feeling that these were never kitted. I've thought about making my own, but I have no experience in that area of the hobby. 

David G.

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, alexis said:

NO, But, I want those Tony Packo's Café Decals.

I wish somebody would re-pop them.

Just sayin' - it wouldn't be too hard to take Casey's photo, add a little contrast and saturation, and then print it onto some ink jet decal film. There aren't any significant white areas to worry about.

• 2 months later...

It always surprises me that the aftermarket decal segment of the car modelling world isn't bigger than it is. 

I'd love some of the decals we don't see repopped too. Steve's suggestion, though, is valid. Except for a bit of a focus issue on the "hotdog" decals, this would likely do well with a quick Photoshopping.

On 11/5/2018 at 8:15 PM, RancheroSteve said:

Just sayin' - it wouldn't be too hard to take Casey's photo, add a little contrast and saturation, and then print it onto some ink jet decal film. There aren't any significant white areas to worry about.

Unfortunately it is not that simple. Ink Jet inks are translucent so the red and yellows will still need white undercoat. Unless you apply the decals to a white colored model.

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 2:12 PM, unclescott58 said:

Back to Motor Trend's Car of the Year Award. They've picked almost as many loser for Car of the Year, as picking good ones like the '77 Caprice. Car of Year Winner/losers include the '60 Chevy Corvair, the '71 Chevy Vega, the '74 Ford Mustang II (though I would debate this one), the '76 Volare/Aspen twins, and the '80 Chevy Citation. All innovative designs for their times. I think Motor Trend did the right thing at the time by awarding them all Car of the Year. I like all of the cars on above list. I would love to get a model of the '60 Corvair and '71 Vega. I have the Mutt II, the Volare, and a Citation. I love them all.

You can see the coming failure of GM, 11 boring white guys in grey suits,  with their boring grey car. OMG, the end was coming soon for all of this. 

On 1/17/2019 at 3:23 PM, Faust said:

It always surprises me that the aftermarket decal segment of the car modelling world isn't bigger than it is. 

I'd love some of the decals we don't see repopped too. Steve's suggestion, though, is valid. Except for a bit of a focus issue on the "hotdog" decals, this would likely do well with a quick Photoshopping.

The Decal segment was pretty good, for while, with many folks using ALPS printers and creating decals that have never been seen before! It was great and people got excited about it! Some would start asking for decals, the decals where made and then no one would buy them. Yes, people asked but didn't buy.

Making decals is not easy and it takes time. Most decal makers quit selling and only made them for themselves and some did them on commission. But the decals craze died down, the ALPS printers went away and now we are here, wishing for decals we can't get. 

These decals can be made with a good ink jet printer, the only drawback is that they can not print white, like the ALPS, and that is the only handicap to it. But, there is no white in these, thus they should be a cinch for someone with a copy of the decals, a good scanner and the printer for the job. 

7 hours ago, peteski said:

Unfortunately it is not that simple. Ink Jet inks are translucent so the red and yellows will still need white undercoat. Unless you apply the decals to a white colored model.

Yes, that's true, but I think by the nature of these markings they would be applied to a white or very light colored car. Ink jet decal film also comes in white, so the striping in this case could be printed on white and carefully cut out. I've also doubled up decals to get better opacity.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 9:06 AM, Daddyfink said:

These decals can be made with a good ink jet printer, the only drawback is that they can not print white, like the ALPS, and that is the only handicap to it. But, there is no white in these, thus they should be a cinch for someone with a copy of the decals, a good scanner and the printer for the job. 

Well, the license plates have white undercoat, and unless the other decals are applied to a white surface, ink jet or laser printed decals will not show colors correctly.

On 1/24/2019 at 11:34 AM, RancheroSteve said:

Yes, that's true, but I think by the nature of these markings they would be applied to a white or very light colored car. Ink jet decal film also comes in white, so the striping in this case could be printed on white and carefully cut out. I've also doubled up decals to get better opacity.

Anything other than white will tint the colors on those decals. Doubling up will make them darker, but without an opaque white undercoat, they will still not look right. But to each his own.

54 minutes ago, peteski said:

Well, the license plates have white undercoat, and unless the other decals are applied to a white surface, ink jet or laser printed decals will not show colors correctly.

Anything other than white will tint the colors on those decals. Doubling up will make them darker, but without an opaque white undercoat, they will still not look right. But to each his own.

Then just paint the license plate white before applying decals

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2019 at 10:21 PM, peteski said:

That's true, to a point. White decals can be hard to make without an ALPS printer (which I sadly don't have) but I've found the "double up" method of white decals is pretty good, overall. Part of it is that the decal tricks your eyes into thinking "that should be white" and your brain helps fill in a bit of the detail. 

I try to use clear decals myself, whenever possible, but I have used the white-backed ones a couple of times. 

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 5:05 AM, SSNJim said:

Remember? I've got one. CBs are still heavily used by motorcyclists. A CB was a factory option on my 2007 Honda Goldwing (and has been every year since 1980 or so). I use it to talk to my buddy with the standard factory CB on his 2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic. They are both fully integrated into the bikes - you'd never know they were there.

Ho yes I remember them I'm 67 and I had one that was factory radio combo on my 69 Buick Wildcat and my 80 Scout my grandfather even had one in his car they were all over in the 70's and the first couple of years of the 80's.

Back when the Pacers were knew, a friend of mine worked in the local AMC dealer's service department.  That gave us access to cars to fool around with, and I can say that a first year Pacer with a six cylinder 4 speed was a fun little car!  I always thought the design was neat too.  

In the mid 1980s there was a red Pacer wagon with a 4 speed and air conditioning for sale at the Englishtown Fall Swap Meet.  It was a low mile car and looked perfect!  The guy wanted something like $1200 for it.  I got the guy's phone number to follow up with him during the week.  Then I could actually drive it before plunking down the cash.  I had visions of this being my daily driver.... what happened?  I lost the phone number!   

On 10/20/2016 at 7:55 PM, Faust said:

Everyone knows that I love loser cars. I seem to gravitate towards the odd, eclectic, underpowered and unloved. Well, there aren’t too many cars that are more of all of those things than the AMC Pacer! That’s why I was so stoked when I got my hands on the MPC ’78 coupe from Round 2 a couple of years ago. I’d seen the on the second hand market, and wasn’t about to pay what they wanted there.

It never occurred to me that there would come a day that we’d be able to actually go into a shop and CHOOSE between two different Pacer kits!  However, when I saw the new AMT ’77 Pacer Wagon in a local shop, that’s exactly what happened! Two different kits, of two different body styles and two different years. It’s loser Nirvana!

While I don’t normally get too excited by AMT’s, there’s nothing not to like about this one. I mean, it’s a Pacer wagon and it comes with all kinds of crazy custom bits! Check out the newest addition to the Pacer model kit family out of box here:

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/round-2-amt-125-1977-pacer-wagon-out-of-box/

pacer-wagon-oob-003.jpg?w=768

AMC PAcers are niot bod cars at all . Try to owning a Vega then complain about the Pacer . I am thrilled to see any AMC Kit .. Thanx