Model Cars Magazine Forum

Last Modelhaus Order

I had gotten my April order in mid October. A '67 Impala wagon and a '68 Impala SS427, plus some small parts. I placed an order in mid May, June, and just before they closed their doors in July. No May order yet, that's ok cuz I have some projects on the table (literally, my kitchen table). I tried to cover missing parts for my older cars, mostly from memory. I might be in trouble there. Retired and on SS, money doesn't stretch like it used to.

i triecf

• 2 months later...

I received my order from them on Monday (March 27). Beautiful product that was extremely well packed so that despite some slight damage to the box nothing inside was damaged. Thank You to Don and Carol for all of their years of service to this hobby. 

• 5 weeks later...

I received an email from Modelhaus and spoke to Don Holthaus concerning my order that was placed with them back on May 19, 2016.  My order will finally be going into production next week...... YEAY...!!!   Don said that they really never realized how swamped with orders they would wind up getting.  Don said that he also injured himself a bit when he cut off part of a finger in a table saw accident.  That kind of slowed things down for them production wise.  I thanked him for his excellent products over the years, and wished him and Carol a happy, healthy, peaceful and safe retirement...... whenever that actually takes place.  Don said that the way things look now, and the pile of orders still remaining, it could possibly be close to a year before they are actually able to shut down and retire...!!!!!!

I believe I placed my last order with them just a few days (early July?) before they ceased taking orders. You can bet that when they first went into business back in the early '80's, they'd NEVER could have imagined the wild success they'd have!

If there ever is a "Resin Casters Hall of Fame", Don and Carol would certainly be in it! ;)

Along with Norm Veber, Harold Bradford and a number of others. BTW, my last order with them was their 1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, and something else that I can't remember. The Caddy is one of my favorites from the '70's and one I'd like to fully detail one of these fine days. 

Yeah, I can see that what they're going to have to clean up in the way of orders, can take them a year if not a little longer! At least there's the "comfort" of knowing that there's light at the end of the tunnel, and they can finally enjoy their retirement and do what they'd like.

I believe I placed my last order with them just a few days (early July?) before they ceased taking orders. You can bet that when they first went into business back in the early '80's, they'd NEVER could have imagined the wild success they'd have!

If there ever is a "Resin Casters Hall of Fame", Don and Carol would certainly be in it! ;)

Along with Norm Veber, Harold Bradford and a number of others. BTW, my last order with them was their 1976 Cadillac Coupe DeVille, and something else that I can't remember. The Caddy is one of my favorites from the '70's and one I'd like to fully detail one of these fine days. 

Yeah, I can see that what they're going to have to clean up in the way of orders, can take them a year if not a little longer! At least there's the "comfort" of knowing that there's light at the end of the tunnel, and they can finally enjoy their retirement and do what they'd like.

IF it were me, I would've retired on MY terms and not be at the mercy of all my customers. Some customers are hoarding parts and kits to sell at a later date, and I'm supposed to bust my butt for those reasons??? No way.

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly mine arrived last week and was nothing but some parts to restore a few dealer promos. They will be missed greatly in this hobby. Items were always perfect, you never ever had to think twice about anything you ordered from them. The pretenders are already envisioning of taking their place. Not likely. Nice to dream and fool yourself in to thinking you can fill a gap. However when you look at some of the idea pictures posted, I run and not walk. The polite way of describing some of this stuff is 'Abortions'. And to post it on ebay is insane. I scroll right over it not giving it a second look. Now that Don and Carol are retired, doubtful anyone has the time enthusiasm and eye for detail like they did. Sad day in the model car industry

• 2 weeks later...

Got my final order from May 18th, 2016 on May 20th, 2017. Just a box of restoration parts from a list I made up while their website was down prior to re-opening on May 16, 2016. Unfortunately a convertible windshield frame I ordered was broken in the box, had to have happened when they packed it as the box was completely un-damaged. No problem, I contacted them on the 22nd with a photo of the unfortunate damage, and a perfect replacement arrived today. I'm going to miss them, great people, products and service. I imagine they'll be fulfilling orders for another year or more. I'm pretty sure they probably got a ton of extra orders just on the last week the website was up early last July when they made it clear that it was shutting down for good at that point.

I'm pretty sure they probably got a ton of extra orders just on the last week the website was up early last July when they made it clear that it was shutting down for good at that point.

Yes, I have one order from early June and a $400 order from July 3rd, which may have been the last day they were open..

Waiting on my order from July 4, 2016. No hurry, I have a ton of other stuff to build to keep me busy.

Some of the nicest people I have ever met, sure hope they get to enjoy their retirement and this crush of orders has given them an infusion of cash beyond what they imagined. 

Yes, I have one order from early June and a $400 order from July 3rd, which may have been the last day they were open..

Just checked my emails. I got my last order confirmation on July 6, and right after I got it, the site was closed. I know because I immediately remembered a few things I'd forgotten to order, and I was just minutes too late.

I think they intended to close on July 1st or 2nd, but their website people were on vacation for July 4th, so I believe they decided to let the website stay up until July 5th at some point when the web people were back. This information was public, so I'm sure that the mega-procrastinators really hit them good on those final days! I already knew they were pretty stressed when I placed my order, I could have ordered several kits and other extra stuff, but honestly looked at what I really needed in terms of restoration parts, and kept it at that. They wanted to retire fully last month...it'll be at least another year if not longer.

Would someone Please Message me Modelhaus EMAIL addy . I have switched IP . Email addy along with that BTW . I need to notify them about this . Thanx ..

In their message online, they state to contact them if your information changes either by calling 217-864-4402 or email them at models@modelhaus.com . I would assume that this would apply to credit card, email address or shipping address changes. They also state that you can delete items from your order but you CANNOT add to it.

As ZoomZoom pointed out, they planned on being retired by now and it will be another year before they can due to the onslaught of orders they received. I cannot imagine how many of us would delay our retirement a year to fulfill orders after stating our intention to retire a year in advance. That alone speaks volumes about Don and Carol and how they feel about us as customers, many would have just shut down the website and left on their terms.

Before I could respond here , I did get two answers pertaining to Modelhaus . Thank you , I appreciate this . All, the Problems I endured with my IP distracted me from this detail . I am not able to say enough kudos to Don and Carol for their efforts and dedication .. God Bless them .. Thanx .. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...