Model Cars Magazine Forum

Photobucket Problems

Photobucket has, without prior announcement, stopped serving picture links from "3rd party" web sites. That means that a lot of our embedded pictures will not show up. My feelings about this run afoul of our bad word filter, but I do hope that the fleas of a thousand camels settle in their beards.

Photobucket pictures will display if you right click the link and select "Display in new tab." This doesn't help the funky display on the article itself, but will at least let you see a picture in an old post. 

Going forward, I recommend that you just embed the picture(s) directly in the post. You can drag the file into the paperclip region at the bottom of the post editor, or click choose files in the same region. 

We have unlimited storage on our server, and I removed all storage quotas. Please let me know if you have any problems.

This is an incredible pain, but if you used Photobucket links in old posts, please go back, edit the post, and embed the pictures. 

Thanks,
Dave Ambrose

Photobucket has, without prior announcement, stopped serving picture links from "3rd party" web sites. That means that a lot of our embedded pictures will not show up. My feelings about this run afoul of our bad word filter, but I do hope that the fleas of a thousand camels settle in their beards.

Photobucket pictures will display if you right click the link and select "Display in new tab." This doesn't help the funky display on the article itself, but will at least let you see a picture in an old post. 

Going forward, I recommend that you just embed the picture(s) directly in the post. You can drag the file into the paperclip region at the bottom of the post editor, or click choose files in the same region. 

We have unlimited storage on our server, and I removed all storage quotas. Please let me know if you have any problems.

This is an incredible pain, but if you used Photobucket links in old posts, please go back, edit the post, and embed the pictures. 

Thanks,
Dave Ambrose

thanks. You are the man. 

This is very useful information....Thank you for removing the quotas.....It was easier to do that, anyway.....

And Thank You, Photobucket.....Not sure if you'll ever get any more of my money....Guess I'll be using Fotki, again.....

Edited by kilrathy10

So if I am understanding this correctly I should be able to upload a photo directly from my PC without needing a third party host site? Without limits or restrictions?

testing:...

.cobra3.thumb.jpg.462721c8b77d16e4d014112

Edited by BrianC
added limits question

We have unlimited storage on our server, and I removed all storage quotas.

Dave Ambrose

You're a class act. Thanks.

YOU ALL BETTER CHECK YOUR DOWNLOADS FROM PHOTOBUCKET, IF YOU REMOVE YOUR FILES FROM THAT POS PLACE.

I JUST DID A TEST DOWNLOAD OF ONE ALBUM TO BEGIN RELOADING ONTO THIS SITE, AND THE PHOTOS ARE SQUASHED WHEN YOU OPEN THEM. UNUSABLE.

They do not display properly in the Windows photo viewer (Windows7 PICTURES LIBRARY) but appear to display properly when uploaded here. The odd image compression in "Pictures Library" makes it difficult to identify exactly what image you want prior to uploading here.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Hmm...photobucket still working as usual for me?

I open the album I want, then the pic. Then I right click and"copy image."

Then I go back to my MCM thread here and hit "Control V."

And the pic appears just fine.

photo WP_20160102_002_zpshhtyb01f.jpg

I will say this though...there has been a BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH ton of ads on Photobucket over the past week or so. It's ridiculous.

Photobucket is disabling 3rd part hosting (which is what we do when we link to Photobucket images in our posts here) on free account in waves, so not everybody will see the problem at the same time. They disabled mine already.  They will re-enable the functionality, but it will cost you $500/year.

Forum Admins: disabling quotas and allowing us all to upload our photos directly to this forum is an awesome news!  I always preferred forums which allowed this. That way the photos will always be available, even in older threads, for as long as the forum is online.

Now if someone (with admin rights) would download all of Harry P's photos and upload them to the appropriate threads, that would be really good. That way we could preserve his legacy.

Photobucket is disabling 3rd part hosting (which is what we do when we link to Photobucket images in our posts here) on free account in waves, so not everybody will see the problem at the same time. They disabled mine already.  They will re-enable the functionality, but it will cost you $500/year.

Forum Admins: disabling quotas and allowing us all to upload our photos directly to this forum is an awesome news!  I always preferred forums which allowed this. That way the photos will always be available, even in older threads, for as long as the forum is online.

Now if someone (with admin rights) would download all of Harry P's photos and upload them to the appropriate threads, that would be really good. That way we could preserve his legacy.

We're looking at doing that. If we can download the pictures from the links, we can probably write a program to update Harry's posts. Unfortunately the P'tak at Photobucket haven't made it easy. 

We're looking at doing that. If we can download the pictures from the links, we can probably write a program to update Harry's posts. Unfortunately the P'tak at Photobucket haven't made it easy. 

I wonder if his children (Amy?) could provide Harry's username/password to Photobucket. Assuming that they even have that info. That way the albums could be downloaded easier than clicking each link to a photo in a post.

The above picture is posted from Facebook, but appears as if posting pics from there to here do not like to have text with them. As soon as I tried to edit the above to add text, I got a "404 Page not found" message.  

YOU ALL BETTER CHECK YOUR DOWNLOADS FROM PHOTOBUCKET, IF YOU REMOVE YOUR FILES FROM THAT POS PLACE.

I JUST DID A TEST DOWNLOAD OF ONE ALBUM TO BEGIN RELOADING ONTO THIS SITE, AND THE PHOTOS ARE SQUASHED WHEN YOU OPEN THEM. UNUSABLE.

They do not display properly in the Windows photo viewer (Windows7 PICTURES LIBRARY) but appear to display properly when uploaded here. The odd image compression in "Pictures Library" makes it difficult to identify exactly what image you want prior to uploading here.

Used the laptop today with Win 10 and no issues.

I'd been with PB for over 5 years on a Free 2.1GB deal and had used just 0.6GB!

10 days ago all of my pics on 7 sites that I post to were all wiped off by Photobucket! No warning, no explanation! On trying to talk to a human they sent a robot answer, 'How to deal with troubleshooting?', then 'You need to buy our top priced deal or else', something like $500 per year!

I went onto Fotki as I know of no one else who does this 3rd party hosting, and got 3 years for $120. That's good for me as a pensioner! I've since found out from another modeller that he has gone to Imgur for free! Hey Ho, at least I'm back on and have been able to refresh at least my latest posts!

Edited by PatW

I went onto Fotki as I know of no one else who does this 3rd party hosting, and got 3 years for $120. That's good for me as a pensioner! I've since found out from another modeller that he has gone to Imgur for free! Hey Ho, at least I'm back on and have been able to refresh at least my latest posts!

As it has been said, if you only post here (don't need to link to the same photos on multiple forums), then just uploads them directly to your posts here. It is free, and guaranteed to be there for as long as the Model Cars forum is active.