Model Cars Magazine Forum

Comfort Models, Ya Have One?

Probably one of, if not my favorite kits to build. Goes together without a fuss.  Maybe not 100% accurate for the subject matter but it sure looks the part once finished. And thats comfort to me.

The Revell 1964 Ford Thunderbolt

20170316_133630.jpg

20170314_115742_Richtone(HDR).jpg

20170307_122815.jpg

Platt1.JPG

A.jpg

20170309_083643.jpg

Ronda1.JPG

WOW ! Worth lookin at again

Back in the '90s when I was building all the time, I was crankin' out Monogram's and AMT's NASCAR kits every few weeks, and had a little production line for myself. I guess I've built around 20-30, but it's been so long since I've un-boxed them, that might be wrong.

My comfort model would have to be the Revell 67 Chevelle Kit.I have built 8 for myself,friends or family members.I have 3 more in my stash waiting to built.Another favorite is the Revell 65 Z16 Chevelle kit.I have built several of those kits as well.

A comfort model kit? No, not really. But a build style? Certainly.

I find weathered subjects particularly enjoyable because you never really know how they are gonna turn out. Also not everything has to be perfect. It's kinda freeing really. 

As much as I enjoy them, I don't do it a lot because I don't want to lose the novelty, and I want to continue to grow as a builder.

20151231_152055_zpswchtyh4u.jpg

Edited by Jantrix

Monogram 55 Chevy Badman. Monogram T'rantula. Monogram 66 Malibu SS (tilt front end). Monogram Stinger(and the original version, can't remember the name-Trick T?). Almost all of the Tom Daniels kits work as well.

Notice a trend here?:lol: All come colored already. Quick to build, look great on the shelf.

Also the AMT 40 Ford. First model I can remember building completely by myself.

Problem is I don't have enough to build for all the times I need comfort. :(

There might be others, some of which are listed by others here. But the ones above are ones that I will always choose to buy over other kits no matter how many I have if funds are limited. Probably 90% of my building is comfort/nostalgia.

Russ

I can't think of a kit that I have built several times and liked, the only kit I'm aware of that I have built more than once is the AMT Ford C-series truck and that was not a nice journey but a kit I would love to build again is Hasegawas Nissan Sunny pickup kit. I built the first version they came out with and had a blast building it. I got another on the shelf so one day I'm going to build it again.

I should have added an important piece to my post above on the 40 Ford. I'm so familiar with the kit, it goes together without much effort. I get into a zen like state, mainly relying on "muscle memory" and things just fall into place. It happens with the AMT 32 Ford roadster too.