Model Cars Magazine Forum

SOME CURRENT ROUND 2 INFO TODAY...

AC Norton

On 5/4/2018 at 12:00 AM, unclescott58 said:

Nothing I'm interested in in this month's video. Still waiting for the old 1/32 scale Corvette Stingray. 

Me too as it was the first car model I ever built. I already have the Mustang, Ranchero and Avanti.

13 hours ago, Mark said:

That Ford/Merc perimeter frame goes back to '65, so the '65 Galaxie chassis could be a good starting point.  Steerable front wheels, separate rear axle and suspension (though the exhaust detail is molded as part of the chassis.

Ahhh.......thanks Mark! Forgot all about that one! B)

23 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Oh ok..........the full sizers were separate frame and body as that never changed. If I had to use that I guess that would work, but I simply hate all that molded in detail. I'd have to cut that chassis up and fabricate things to make it more appealing to me. Of course, if I could find a junker '68 chassis that would save me some work, but they can be as scarce as hens teeth.

I am going to use the chassis from the AMT 70 Ford Police car. It is lacking needed detail, but it fits, and that is half the battle. I'll probably use the big block from the MPC/AMT 73 Mercury cougar. It has a C6 Transmission. I have to raid the parts box for an air cleaner and valve covers as well as under hood bits to make it look a little more realistic.

The kit I have is beautifully cast, and shouldn't be no more difficult to build than any other resin kit.

The only truly correct engine for that Air Trax Marauder X-100 is in the Revell '70 Torino GT and Torino Cobra kits.  The AMT '69 Galaxie kit incorrectly recycled the FE V8, and the MPC Cougar kit was both a 428 CJ FE and a pre-production Boss 429, neither correct for the 385 series 429 V8 that was standard in the X-100....TIM  

Edited by tim boyd

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:33 PM, tim boyd said:

The only truly correct engine for that Air Trax Marauder X-100 is in the Revell '70 Torino GT and Torino Cobra kits.  The AMT '69 Galaxie kit incorrectly recycled the FE V8, and the MPC Cougar kit was both a 428 CJ FE and a pre-production Boss 429, neither correct for the 385 series 429 V8 that was standard in the X-100....TIM  

You are absolutely right about the engine. I will use that engine, and combine it with the C6 from the Cougar.

AMT 1113 - Piranha Drag Team

AMT 1117 - 1/25 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T

AMT 1118 - 1/25 1971 Plymouth Duster 340

AMT 1119 - 1/25 '55 Chevy Bel Air Sedan

AMT-PP20 Wild Wheels & Wide Ovals Tire Pack (4ea)

MPC-883

1/18 Hydro-Vee Boat (Tim Boyd, is this the never reissued kit you hinted at in Gen Disc.?)

Edited by Casey

9 hours ago, Casey said:

AMT 1113 - Piranha Drag Team

AMT 1117 - 1/25 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T

AMT 1118 - 1/25 1971 Plymouth Duster 340

AMT 1119 - 1/25 '55 Chevy Bel Air Sedan

AMT-PP20 Wild Wheels & Wide Ovals Tire Pack (4ea)

MPC-883

1/18 Hydro-Vee Boat (Tim Boyd, is this the never reissued kit you hinted at in Gen Disc.?)

Casey....no it is not.  But I did help the Round 2 team with the upcoming Hydro Vee reissue by loaning them an original Hydro-Vee box art and instruction sheet find I glommed from eBay years ago....this is actually a pretty cool kit; I just wish it was 1/25th instead of the actual larger scale....TIM 

PS - there is "new news" about the "never reissued kit" on another model car forum that some members here also view from time to time.....it is from two reputable sources and at least part of it also corresponds to my knowledge of the situation....TB 

The Hydro-Vee kit sounds interesting...I recall reading about it in this thread below.   Never seen one, but since I live near Lake Erie now, I see boats all the time..

I wonder what the 'Wild wheels' are in the parts pack?  (Not a misspelling of 'Weld wheels'?).    

Edited by Rob Hall

Good to see the '55 Bel Air 2DS back. I've picked up a couple of these at toy shows just because you never seem to be able to find one when you really need one. Hopefully they'll throw ALL the parts in the box this time so you can build it either stock or Gasser or anything inbetween.

3 hours ago, paul alflen said:

TIM, IS THE 1928 FORD SEDAN??? ARE THE TWO SOURCES DENNIS DOTY AND TOM CARTER???  IF IT IS THEN IT WOULD BE  A COOL REISSUE!

Ding DIng Ding.....

Still.....I'm a little surprised that this info has surfaced now, vs way back (several years ago) when I first heard of got wind of it.  Still.....the news that Dennis Doty and Tom Carter have now heard the info and publicized it adds credibility to the story.  But the part about the tooling being in China is new news to me. 

Like most of you here, I'd love to see it materialize, and sooner rather than later!!! 

TIM   

Edited by tim boyd

YES I AGREE WITH-SCALE SPEED SHOP- IF IT CANNOT BE RELEASED AS A KIT. THEN RUN THE BODY AS A PARTS PACK FOR ALL THE RAT ROD BUILDERS. WITH THE ABSENT REVELL MODEL 'A ' NOT ON THE MARKET, THIS WILL SELL NOT ONLY AS A REISSUE OF AN ORIGINAL KIT( IF THEY FIX THE TOOL TO RUN IT WITH THE 29 FORD WOODY AND PICKUP) BUT ALSO AS A STAND ALONE PARTS PACK.  THE PRICE OF SEPERATE KIT PARTS ON E-BAY SELLING  IS EXPENSIVE .  ROUND 2 COULD ALSO DO THE 64 OLDS CUTLASS CHASSIS AND STOCK RIMS AS A PARTS PACK .THE TEST SHOT COAT HANGING TREE WAS ON THEIR WEB SITE NOT LONG AGO. ROUND 2 THINK ABOUT RELEASING INCOMPLETE TOOLING AS PARTS PACKS. I'D BUY THEM!!!!!!!! 

Tim Boyd Posted this message from John Grezcula on the SH board:

Message from John Greczula at Round 2 regarding AMT '28A Tudor tool

All: This morning, John G. asked me to post this message from him on his behalf...

"Gentlemen,

After receiving multiple direct emails and learning of this thread, I feel the need to quell some of the lather that seems to be foaming over the edge of the glass of conjecture: Make no mistake. The '28 Ford project has been on the radar, in the hopper, etc. for quite a while now. A certain veteran AMT Kat and I discussed it at length, years ago already. The tool exists but is far from usable in its present state. As you all know, the majority of it was repurposed for the '29 kit. There is VERY little left in the tool and the gaping holes left by the removed inserts would need to be filled with new blocks containing sprue lines designed to flow plastic to what IS there. This is not a trivial or inexpensive process. However, it is something that I want to see happen as much as the rest of you.

As for just including the parts with a reissue of the '29 pickup/woody, well, I'd rather do it right. Some parts no longer match with the '28 parts. Further, if we were to spend the money to resurrect this kit, we'd need every sale possible. A large portion of the mass market clientele would not want to have to "figure it all out" for themselves. You guys? Sure, you could do it with your eyes closed. But to make the investment worthwhile, it'd have to be a little more accessible to modelers of lesser skill.

Rest assured, it's at the top of the list of kits to try and bring back. I make no promises, as there's always some unexpected problem that gets in the path of making headway on some of these cool projects, but we do listen, we do care, and we do what we can to keep the entire available market at least a little bit happy.

Thanks for your interest and support.

John"

TB

On 5/16/2018 at 8:04 AM, gasman said:

Nice too see the 71 Duster and 55 Belair back. Both are due for reissues. 

I'm a bit surprised it took this long for both to be reissued, but I'm glad to see the '55 Bel Air Sedan return, despite its shortcomings.

On 5/15/2018 at 7:50 AM, tim boyd said:

Casey....no it is not.  But I did help the Round 2 team with the upcoming Hydro Vee reissue by loaning them an original Hydro-Vee box art and instruction sheet find I glommed from eBay years ago....this is actually a pretty cool kit; I just wish it was 1/25th instead of the actual larger scale..

I'm shocked to see this kit reissued, and I hope the oddball scale doesn't doom it like it has other similar (read: anything 1/20) scaled kits.

I wonder what Round2 is planning to include regarding the motor?

DSC_0626-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

James, I think the problem is that we modelers don't understand that Round 2's customer is the distributors, not us. Round 2 is telling the distributors what the company is sending the models to the distributor.  Round 2 is not taking into account the amount of time it takes for the distributors to invoice the kits and get them to the stores. That part is not Round 2's responsibility.

So we modelers should do what you've figured out - expect the models some time in the month following the video.

9 hours ago, Vince Nemanic said:

James, I think the problem is that we modelers don't understand that Round 2's customer is the distributors, not us. Round 2 is telling the distributors what the company is sending the models to the distributor.  Round 2 is not taking into account the amount of time it takes for the distributors to invoice the kits and get them to the stores. That part is not Round 2's responsibility.

So we modelers should do what you've figured out - expect the models some time in the month following the video.

With all due respect, I highly doubt Round2 is making YouTube videos as a way to keep their distributors informed as to what kits are coming.  If one were to check with said distributors you'd know they know what kits are coming for about the next 90-120 days.  These videos are put out for hobbyists to inform them of upcoming products, but the problem they've had since they started is that only a few things they show in any given month are actually going to be released IN the month they're showing them in...for example the '57 Chrysler 300C WILL come out in June, but the Autocar & Fruehauf trailer are scheduled for July.

Also scheduled for July - 

'40 Ford (OAS)

'65 El Camino "Gear Hustler"

MPC Tiger Shark Show Rod doohickie mahbobber

Edited by niteowl7710

Good points.  The videos could also be to drum up demand from the stores and therefore the distributors. They also inform builders what can be purchased directly from Round 2, therefore increasing Round 2's profit. Round 2 also sends out emails to generate direct purchases.