Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors Spray Can seeping, anyone else have this happen?

Any one else have this happen before?  I now have three cans. I have had some of these cans nearly 20 years with no issue, but these are less than 3-4 years old. They are stored in my model room, no excessive heat or cold. Today, when I came in the model room, the can to the left had oozed out all the way to the floor (long string you can see part of in this pic), and the clear that is oozing out is not yet hardened and is like taffy. Both are Testors' Model Master, Custom Lacquer System, the one on the right is a Plymouth Platinum silver, the one of the left is Fabric Gray. However, I also have third can that is simply fine grey lacquer primer 1237. Any ideas why this is happening? The label on the left is washed out as it was wiped off with a cleaning rag a couple year ago.

SAM_1033.JPG

Never seen this before!  I'll have to keep an eye out for that.  I will day that I usually only get one use out of Testors Gloss Black spray can.  Once I go back for the second coat, the nozzle is so clogged that the can is useless.  Needless to say, I don't use Testors Gloss Black any more.

Like so many others I have also had leakers. I think it may have todo with the can making process. I knew a guy years ago that had worked for Cambell Soup Company and he was in the quality control department at the cannery and he explained to me how they make the cans and just how close the tolerance had to be in the assembly so that the cans wouldn't leak. This was for soup that is under little or no pressure, so containing paint under pressure I would think this would be even more important. It might be a good idea to notify Testors of your problem and see how they respond to the information. Even if they choose not to do anything at least they will see just how wide spread the problem is and do something about it in the future.   

I, too, have experienced this. I have several ancient Testor enamel cans that don't leak but have had about 5 of the newer lacquer cans leak. Something, perhaps, in the chemical composition of the contents? I'm interested to find out the answer.

I have had 4-5 cans of Testors paint do this over the years- the first being in the late 70's, a can of candy apple red leaking thick orange gel from the bottom of the can. Oddly enough, the can sprayed fine (I used to decant a bit and brush paint on tail lights and such) and I kept it around until almost empty. The last few leakers were disposed of, and all were enamel paints.

I, too, have experienced this. I have several ancient Testor enamel cans that don't leak but have had about 5 of the newer lacquer cans leak. Something, perhaps, in the chemical composition of the contents? I'm interested to find out the answer.

I doubt it. It is most likely a mechanical problem. I suspect that the bottom of the an is not crimped very well and develops leaks under constant pressure.