Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would YOU like to see as a model

1 hour ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Such a lead pipe cinch and so wretchedly overdue, a boat-tail Riv.

Guess it's the "Version 2" that's the hangup.  Though I'd imagine Revell would feel scrapers have had their day, I gotta wonder if a low rider of just this one would justify the tooling expense as the second version.

That one is identical to my old one ,, only in MUCH better shape.

And I think the lowrider crowd would buy out the production run just by themselves.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 5:51 PM, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Such a lead pipe cinch and so wretchedly overdue, a boat-tail Riv.

Guess it's the "Version 2" that's the hangup.  Though I'd imagine Revell would feel scrapers have had their day, I gotta wonder if a low rider of just this one would justify the tooling expense as the second version.

Some big wheels and a new grill would make a second option viable. I am sure the Lowrider/Custom types would take it from there. 

I know this is just an art piece, but it does show the possibility and feasibility of it 

1972 Buick Riviera

• Like 5

On 9/10/2023 at 12:58 PM, kjohan said:

A traditional Rolls Royce town car 1925 -30 in scale 1/24

That sounds nice.  There are Jo-Han and Italeri's Cadillac town cars, and there's Monogram's Duesenberg town car, but if it really has to be a Rolls, you could always try some kitbashing with either Monogram or Italeri's Phantom II kits.  Both depict models made after 1930, but the Phantom II started production in 1929.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

9 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

That sounds nice.  There are Jo-Han and Italeri's Cadillac town cars, and there's Monogram's Duesenberg town car, but if it really has to be a Rolls, you could always try some kitbashing with either Monogram or Italeri's Phantom II kits.  Both depict models depict models made after 1930, but the Phantom II started production in 1929.

Thanks for the idea Richard

Actually quite similar to the process used; chassis with engine delievered to a body manufacturer. 

Though I still think it would be appropriate with a model of a specific actual Rolls Town car, the history around the infividual cars or models is often quite entertaining.

And the Rolls Town cars are for me the archetype of this kind of car.

It would be a natural complement to the cars you mentioned plus a few others availble, like the Heller Hispano Suiza 

Anyway, will consider the idea of combining kits. 

6 hours ago, kjohan said:

Thanks for the idea Richard

Actually quite similar to the process used; chassis with engine delievered to a body manufacturer. 

Though I still think it would be appropriate with a model of a specific actual Rolls Town car, the history around the infividual cars or models is often quite entertaining.

And the Rolls Town cars are for me the archetype of this kind of car.

It would be a natural complement to the cars you mentioned plus a few others availble, like the Heller Hispano Suiza 

Anyway, will consider the idea of combining kits. 

Not exactly a Town car, but you might consider the 1932 Rolls-Royce Sedanca II coupe made by Pocher  in 1/8 scale:

pocher rolls.jpg

Edited by jokar124

I know that what is currently popular in the 1:1 market doesn't always translate, but I'd love to see a line of bi-scale Toyota and Nissan trucks. A late 70s Toyota Hilux and the 80s and 90s trucks, even the Tacomas could be good subjects. The MPC Datsun truck is good for that era but a new stock bodied Nissan 720, a Hardbody and maybe a Frontier and XTerra would be cool too. The old Lindberg Hardbody wasn't too bad, but it was in 1/20th scale. It would also be nice to see a decent first gen Ford Courier and Mazda Rotary and an accurate Chevy LUV would also be appreciated. All these trucks are becoming collectible and at least around Austin I've seen a lot of them being driven by young 20-something people who see them as a cool alternative to high priced collectible cars. I'd take them in curbside or full detail as long as the body looked accurate.

In full size trucks, the MPC 70s Dodge is good and Chevys are pretty well covered, too, but maybe Mobius or someone to do a new tool dent side Ford F-100 in all the body styles.

12 hours ago, oldcarfan said:

I know that what is currently popular in the 1:1 market doesn't always translate, but I'd love to see a line of bi-scale Toyota and Nissan trucks. A late 70s Toyota Hilux and the 80s and 90s trucks, even the Tacomas could be good subjects. The MPC Datsun truck is good for that era but a new stock bodied Nissan 720, a Hardbody and maybe a Frontier and XTerra would be cool too. The old Lindberg Hardbody wasn't too bad, but it was in 1/20th scale. It would also be nice to see a decent first gen Ford Courier and Mazda Rotary and an accurate Chevy LUV would also be appreciated. All these trucks are becoming collectible and at least around Austin I've seen a lot of them being driven by young 20-something people who see them as a cool alternative to high priced collectible cars. I'd take them in curbside or full detail as long as the body looked accurate.

In full size trucks, the MPC 70s Dodge is good and Chevys are pretty well covered, too, but maybe Mobius or someone to do a new tool dent side Ford F-100 in all the body styles.

aoshima and fujimi have a few of the small japanese trucks. and the parts box in australia certainly used to do the mazda rotary pick up

• Like 1

5 hours ago, charger74 said:

I would like it to have a dodge omni GLH as a kit

the dodge omni would be more likely to be done by maybe nunu or belkits. They were sold in europe as talbots and there were some rally car versions which can still be seen in classic rallying. They had some pretty big name drivers too

• 3 weeks later...

I’d like to see some more “common” vehicles such as:

4th generation Ram 1500 Crew cab Bighorn or Laramie 

91 Ford Taurus Wagon

84 Chevy Suburban

77 Dodge Street Van

Also some vintage VW like Super Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Vans and the type 3 square back wagon.

As fun as it is to build fantasy vehicles, it is also fun to replicate common ones too.

Edited by RocketFoot

10 hours ago, RocketFoot said:

Also some vintage VW like Super Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Vans and the type 3 square back wagon.

There's a few van kits, I believe...... Both Tamiya and Gunze Sangyo made a Ghia. I've built the Gunze one, it's curbside but looks pretty accurate.....

12 hours ago, JollySipper said:

There's a few van kits, I believe...... Both Tamiya and Gunze Sangyo made a Ghia. I've built the Gunze one, it's curbside but looks pretty accurate.....

I'll have to check them out!  Problem is, if they are old kits...they are hard to find and expensive usually.  Periodic reissues would be nice to help keep the prices down.

This may be a pipe dream, but I think one or more of the model companies could offer body styles from the mid '50's thru the '70's of some of the upscale GM line like Pont., Olds, Buick, Ford's Mercury and MoPar's, Dodge and Plymouths.