Model Cars Magazine Forum

What would YOU like to see as a model

2 hours ago, espo said:

This may be a pipe dream, but I think one or more of the model companies could offer body styles from the mid '50's thru the '70's of some of the upscale GM line like Pont., Olds, Buick, Ford's Mercury and MoPar's, Dodge and Plymouths.   

I've always wanted a 57 Olds 88, I think it's the best looking car of the 50s.

• Like 1

Not on the top of my list, but I would probably buy this one as a kit. 1974 Hang Ten Dart. You don't think of these when you think of the stoplight wars of back in the day, but I do remember my cousin from south Jersey having one of these. Later they became something of a Mopar collector's item. Years later, he told me that was the first new car he ever bought. I can remember his brother and I riding in the back. I can remember the striking orange carpeting and white interior.

R (73).jpg

interior6.jpg

• Like 2

If MPC still has the tooling, all they would have to do is make a new decal sheet with the graphics and interior stuff. Assuming it already has the automatic console and goodies. Just a thought.

s-l1600 (11).jpg

Edited by Mike C.

On 10/5/2023 at 4:02 PM, Mike C. said:

If MPC still has the tooling, all they would have to do is make a new decal sheet with the graphics and interior stuff. Assuming it already has the automatic console and goodies. Just a thought.

s-l1600 (11).jpg

I would even settle for a resin or 3d printed 73-74 Dart grille and tail panel for that kit. I’ve even tried to nudge a few resin casters or 3d printer guys to do it,but no one has yet.

Edited by catpack68
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Trendsetta68 said:

It's a must that some company starts making AMC Models (JM.02) AMC had some nice offerings and some historical models (JM.02) 

For starters this AMC Javelin SST would be kool...

Screenshot_20231012_212651_Google.jpg.f5c467f9800008ec9f175cfd3474e83c.jpg

I think JoHan offered a similar model years ago. AMT had a SCCA style race car model that I think could also be built as a showroom model. I would also be a player for one as well. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mike C. said:

0af0462d444882c54f5ff89330b80c5a.jpg

63fe5973e630fae2db0a5fbb1dacbee9.jpg

I've been asking kit companies for a Mercedes Sprinter van and a Ford Transit and Transit Connect for a while. They could do 2 and 4 wheel driver options, do a plain delivery version with multiple releases branded with various companies' markings, then do passenger versions by adding glass and scoring where you cut out places for them. Finally, they could do camper versions with an interior.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 1:02 PM, Mike C. said:

If MPC still has the [ Dart Sport ] tooling, all they would have to do is make a new decal sheet with the graphics and interior stuff. Assuming it already has the automatic console and goodies. Just a thought.

Round2 still has the 1975/1976 Dart Sport tooling. It was last issued a few years ago in '1976' guise (i.e., 1976 annual's box art), and is moulded in a gold metallic. That issue has some of the Hang 10 decals (body stripes ; none of the interior 'upholstery') . 

A 1975 model of the Hang 10 would be 'easiest' as only decals would be necessary (an oversimplification on my part -- the 4-speed trans is incorrect, along with other items I've mentioned ad nauseam on this forum over the years).

I'd be keen on a 1974 grille and tail lamp panel 'filler' for the MPC Dart. At that point, a 1973 340 could be represented as well. Insofar as the kit is concerned : ditch those Pontiac-esque "custom" rims and replace them with the Ansen-type rims from the 1977 edition of the LM29 ( Smokey Chaser ? ) .

The 1:1 Hang 10 could be had with the E58 360 (245hp and long on torque) , with the 225 and 318 as standard engines. That 360 was thee hot ticket for those Dart Sports and Dusters. 

• Like 1

The 1959 Ferrai 250 GT coupe by Pinin Farina 

The first Ferrari built in a regular production process, though still in small volumes.

A very beautiful car in a restained way, no flash , just very elegant, a design with nothing to add , nothing to take away.

On 10/13/2023 at 2:50 PM, oldcarfan said:

I've been asking kit companies for a Mercedes Sprinter van and a Ford Transit and Transit Connect for a while. They could do 2 and 4 wheel driver options, do a plain delivery version with multiple releases branded with various companies' markings, then do passenger versions by adding glass and scoring where you cut out places for them. Finally, they could do camper versions with an interior.

I agree, the three of them are what most fleets are purchasing now a days. The Chevy van isn’t going to be redesigned until 2027 and will probably be electric or hybrid. The expedition type off road vehicles would make an interesting subject for a build.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 12:21 PM, espo said:

I think JoHan offered a similar model years ago. AMT had a SCCA style race car model that I think could also be built as a showroom model. I would also be a player for one as well. 

yes ..... A newly tooled Rebel Machine, a 1969 AMX, and a 1971 AMC Hornet SC/360 ..... for starters ... 😇👍

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 11:50 AM, oldcarfan said:

I realize that it isn't a "kit", but A&N does several versions on "M-S" van in resin. I have held back several times from buying a few. I have friends that build custom Sprinter campers and would like to replicate one for them as a gift.

Oh, and the current forum gremlins now don't like imbedded links, so anyone that can repost this like, please do.

https://an-modeltrucks.com/shop/german-panel-van-m-s-5-5-ton-normal-full-resin-kit-1-24/

Edited by Rodent

Noticeable, the sheer volume of desired plastic kits on here being nostalgic Americana.

I'm sure there must be many modellers looking for their pet European cars to be kitted too, but as MCM is not sold through retail outlets in the UK and Europe, there are many over on this side of the pond who do not even know about MCM, let alone this forum. Hence the overwhelming bias towards American cars on here.

On 10/2/2023 at 1:23 PM, RocketFoot said:

I'll have to check them out!  Problem is, if they are old kits...they are hard to find and expensive usually.  Periodic reissues would be nice to help keep the prices down.

the gunze ghia is the easier to find but it has rubbery seats so if you want to paint them they need replaced. seats from the tamiya bug mostly fit but the rear seat is a little narrow but it cant really be seen unless you do a convertible. The recent revell bug seats might work too but i haven't tried those. The advantage with the gunze ghia over the tamiya is the top is a seperate piece so you have the choice of coupe or convertible. And if you use the tamiya bug as a donor it should be a easy conversion to full detail by swapping the chassis and building up an engine bay. the tamiya ghia was just the bug kit with a different body sprue. theres also a few resin and printed ghias available.