Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vintage Revell Parts Packs -complete set

• 5 years later...
On 1/5/2018 at 4:22 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Happily for me, I started buying old parts-packs up as fast as I could back in about 2005, WAY before the stupid-money guys got in the game. I've probably got well over 100 engines from Revell and AMT (including the rare nailheads and mega-rare Chryslers), multiples of all the bodies both companies made, and all the frame, wheels / tires and accessory parts as well. I loved them when I was young, learned a TON about how real rods and dragsters were built from them, and learned to recognize most of the post-war American OHV V8 engines well before I turned a wrench on a real one.

If Revell even has the slightest notion of reissuing some of the vintage drag and rod parts-packs (assuming the tooling even exists), they need to get on the stick. It's the geezers (like me) who have any idea WHAT the stuff is, and they're most likely the ones who have much interest in building historically-correct rods and drag cars...and who'd spend the bucks to get long out-of-production grail kits today.

The prices on the most recent repops of the four engine kits last released ARE creeping up, and the supply does seem to be dwindling. But who knows? The old dragster frames are selling for $25-$50. The 2-car kits made up from parts-pack trees are in the multi-hundreds when they (rarely) come up.

When I see a manufacturer release a limited run of an old tool, say 5000 units, I always think to myself "well, that many of the old roadster and dragster accessory packs, and frames, and Bantam and Fiat bodies would probably sell out instantly if they were marketed right". But we all know I'm an idiot.

I have heard from someone who sells model car kits, that the Atlantis car kits compiled from the Revell parts packs haven't been setting the world on fire.  It seems that even some of us old guys haven't put two and two together yet to figure out that the Atlantis kits are indeed the old Revell parts packs.  Atlantis should think about putting photos of the parts trees on the boxes in order to tap people on the shoulder regarding this.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Mark said:

I have heard from someone who sells model car kits, that the Atlantis car kits compiled from the Revell parts packs haven't been setting the world on fire.  It seems that even some of us old guys haven't put two and two together yet to figure out that the Atlantis kits are indeed the old Revell parts packs.  Atlantis should think about putting photos of the parts trees on the boxes in order to tap people on the shoulder regarding this.

Yup. Unfortunately, that post I made was 5 years ago, and doubtless a lot of old fossils (like me) who know what the kits are and would want the stuff have fallen off their perches in the intervening time.

That's too bad. I bought the Fiat specifically for the Cadillac engine and the chassis part with an eye to doing a Lightning Bug replica, and it's probably cheaper than trying to get all the resin parts separately.

It's a great collection of kitbashing parts, and you really are missing out if you don't grab a few of these.  All you people grumbling about the lack of a traditional rear in the Revell Model A and Deuce kits?  Everything you need is right here in this kit.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I'm surprised they aren't doing that well. There are some great parts in the kits for the price. 

Yup...but you gotta have hardcore kitbashers who know what the parts are, how to combine them without instructions, understand a fair bit about how stuff works, and have an interest in period drag cars or rods. 

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 3

On 11/12/2023 at 8:20 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Yup...but you gotta have hardcore kitbashers who know what the parts are, how to combine them without instructions, understand a fair bit about how stuff works, and have an interest in period drag cars or rods. 

It's not like this stuff is brain surgery.  If you think the existing parts are wrong, then presumably you have some idea of what's supposed to be there, and it's not like there aren't plenty of resources online.

Atlantis does show you how the parts go together, and figuring out that a rear axle goes some place in the rear is not that big an intellectual feat.   If you can figure out which end of an X-acto knife to hold, it's not that big a deal.

53 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

It's not like this stuff is brain surgery.  If you think the existing parts are wrong, then presumably you have some idea of what's supposed to be there, and it's not like there aren't plenty of resources online.

Atlantis does show you how the parts go together, and figuring out that a rear axle goes some place in the rear is not that big an intellectual feat.   If you can figure out which end of an X-acto knife to hold, it's not that big a deal.

Missed the point entirely. 

I was talking specifically about using the vintage parts-packs reissued as kits purely as parts-sources for kitbashing.

A lot of modelers don't even know what makes a car go, much less how to cobble together a lot of parts from disparate sources into something reasonably representative of reality...so I guess it's no real surprise they're not flying off the shelves as kitbashing fodder for period builds.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

On a related note, Mooneyes dragster kits are under $17 on Amazon right now…I’ll be grabbing a few more for the exact reasons discussed above…

https://a.co/d/4TYy9IW

(not an advertisement, no relation to the seller, not a paid promotion etc etc)

I’ve been grabbing multiples of these Atlantis kits just to have them to hand for future builds…so many awesome parts to steal for all kinds of period-correct 40s-60s hot rod projects!

• Like 2

On 11/12/2023 at 8:20 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Please explain to me how making a model from only the contents of one box works please😜

• Haha 3

The biggest issue I have with selling the Atlantis kits in my shop - frankly - is the box art. The reissued Tom Daniels kits (Groovy Grader, Troublemaker, Unreal Roller) have done just fine because they're instantly recognizable as their Monogram origins regardless of color scheme. The Mooneyes dragster and the Fiat have proven slower sellers and I think that's because they're a bit further divorced from their Revell origins. The "totally not Miss Deal" reissue of the Miss Deal Studebaker has done better, but it will remain to be seen how some of the parts pack street rods will do. 

The anomalies are the Jungle Jim Camaro funny car - which I'm sure has sold well on the strength of subject matter despite the egregiously underwhelming kit inside - and the '57 Chevy which seems to sell well simply because it's a relatively inexpensive '57 Chevy kit.

• Like 1

Fuel to the fire for kitbashers! I’ll be adding to the stash as time and money allow. I’m not as “board famous” as the kitbashers mentioned above, but all my builds have been kitbashed or modified to some degree. I love the fact that Atlantis made these available. 

IMG_6932.png

• Like 1

"... and doubtless a lot of old fossils (like me) who know what the kits are and would want the stuff have fallen off their perches in the intervening time."

I like that one, Ace.

I have a handful of Parts Packs that I picked up at Nassau hobby back in the mid-sixties. Paid a quarter each for 'em. The Fiat is in the pile. And no, they ain't for sale.

Edited by Reegs
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I want one of the Bantam bodies and I already have the right 392to build a model of what I wanted my brother to do with the 392 out of his blown Sanger flat bottom drag boat, with the adapters available to put a big block Chevy water pump on the front and several different auto trans adapters available a Street Roadster that had a resemblance to a AA/FA it would definitely be a hit with the cruising crowd.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, horsepower said:

I want one of the Bantam bodies and I already have the right 392to build a model of what I wanted my brother to do with the 392 out of his blown Sanger flat bottom drag boat, with the adapters available to put a big block Chevy water pump on the front and several different auto trans adapters available a Street Roadster that had a resemblance to a AA/FA it would definitely be a hit with the cruising crowd.

Del...that sounds like a way cool project. 

My (admittedly unsolicited) advice is that you might want to try the Bantam roadster body in the "Bantam Blast" kit just reissued last month by Round 2.  I've built models with both bodies and the MPC body is much better defined in surface development, etc.  It's also available right now....I am hoping the Revell body gets reissued by Atlantic sooner than later, but I have no definitive info on when//exactly how that might occur.

BTW,, do you have any pix of that Sanger flat bottom... love those old drag boats!  TB 

Getting in on this topic a bit late, but I would really like to see some of the Revell engine kits back on the market.  I have a few of the Ford 427 engines, and one each of the 283 Chevy and the "354" Cadillac.  Also have the AMT competition parts pack which includes the 23 T altered body, Allison engine, Pontiac, Hemi, and Corvair engines.  Could really use more of the Cadillac engines.  Also would like to see some of the custom parts packs return. I like to build all-out customs and using the kit parts does not always fulfill my lustful desires.

I did it yesterday, I bought the Fiat specifically for the Cadillac engine and chassis part. It feels safe that the stuff is in the stack if I fall out of the armchair and can't get to the hobby shop. Given what was in the box and that they were not chromed, it did not feel expensive even though it was about 10-20-25% more expensive than, for example, new Revell Oldsmobile and Ford Mustang or Round2. It was what I could see quickly no flash, hardly any lines either

13 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Getting in on this topic a bit late, but I would really like to see some of the Revell engine kits back on the market.  I have a few of the Ford 427 engines, and one each of the 283 Chevy and the "354" Cadillac......Could really use more of the Cadillac engines.

Buy some of the new Atlantis kits.  The Chevy 283 is in the Mooneyes dragster.  The "Yellow Fever" Fiat coupe has the Caddy and the 427 Ford.  The "Skorpion" Studebaker funny car (former "Miss Deal") has the Chrysler Hemi like it previously did, but Atlantis also added the Pontiac engine.

Atlantis also paired up with Gofer Racing, who offered the 427 Ford as a standalone parts pack.  Sometimes Atlantis also offers some of the parts packs bagged as standalone, for direct purchase on their website.  They currently have the chromed Chevy 283 listed at $8.99.

There are several more "Keeler's Kustoms" kits planned, and each one should include two different engine parts packs.

• Like 1