Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 January 2018 Product Spotlight

MrObsessive

Nothing here that captures my interest. I'm Star Treked out and not really into 1/18 or 1/64 diecasts. I wonder how far along they are in checking out the older tools in the inventory. Seeing the '63 Bonneville and other early-mid '60s cars would save me a krapload of dough by not paying eBait prices. :D It'd also be great if R2 reissues POL812, the 1/72 Forbidden Planet C-57D Space Cruiser in all of its 28" in diameter swellness.

Related image

My earlier completed model met an untimely demise at the paws of the dreaded Altairian Bat-fanged Fmeep.

IMG_3377_a.jpg.9fd2531153b0bbc4881699073d8af8a9.jpg

Joe, nothing that he showed really tripped my trigger either as far as must haves. The GTX box art is kinda interesting..........the big turn off for that kit however would be that I seriously doubt Round 2 corrected that car's incorrect rear fenders, and trunk, and rear bumper, and rear glass. :rolleyes:

Thank goodness I happen to have built ups of those oldies you mentioned! Seems as though the prices for them get crazier and crazier, despite the demographics for those types of cars should dictate the opposite.

But then looks like I'm wrong!

BTW, cute kitty! :D

What you described is why my model room is OFF LIMITS to cats! I've got three of them, and while the oldest one couldn't care any less (she's eight years old), the two younger ones would be all over everything (they're under three years old), and I'd be one very unhappy cat owner!

Edited by MrObsessive

I'm not about to part with $375 and up for a model car kit or promo. I want to build'em, not do a William Devane and stare at'em in a wall safe. :) I'll tell you, Bill, I would definitely grab some AW diecasts if they were 1/24-1/25. The Christine diecast would be nice in "our" scale. The side trim looks a lot better than the AMT Belvedere. There's a big hole in the market for decently detailed cars in those scales since Franklin and Danbury Mints ceased operations. 

Edited by SfanGoch

57 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

The Christine diecast would be nice in "our" scale. The side trim looks a lot better than the AMT Belvedere. There's a big hole in the market for decently detailed cars in those scales since Franklin and Danbury Mints ceased operations. 

I was going to comment about that diecast Plymouth! Not only does the side trim look better, but the roof appears to be of the correct proportions this time. Still, videos and cameras can be deceiving, so I'd have to reserve my final judgment till I can see it in 3D. ;)

I have a Ford GT 1/18 diecast in Gulf colors.  So other than that, only the 1/64s are slightly interesting to me.  How many times can I build that Mopar kit?  I have a partially finished GTX convertible that my son & I started.  That will probably be the last of those that I finish.  I already have several built going back to the original issue.  Unless I do the stock 70 Coronet?  I have one in the stash, but no great urgency to do it.  

Thanks for posting the video.  I do like seeing them to give me an idea if I need to be looking for something.

Start at the 6:27 mark to skip over the toys. :P

I find the kits and boxes on the on the pallet racks more interesting than what Chad is showing in these videos. I can see some 1/20 MPC Rupp Super Sno Sport and MPC '60 Corvette kits sitting there.

The Coca-Cola decal sheet in the Pete kit appears to include many logos and/or slogans that have never been available previously, so I'm sure that'll be appreciated by some.

The Ford GT is the only kit which contains the Coyote engine (albeit a bit simplified), correct?

7 hours ago, Classicgas said:

Too bad with their amt and MPC archives more isn't put into reissues or better yet forget some of the diecast stuff and put more money into new tools. There is a wealth of subjects that need new tools, not to mention unkitted subjects.

Diecast models are where the sales and profit are for Round 2, model kits are a much smaller niche for them, I suspect.   (die cast in general is a much larger market than kits). 

39 minutes ago, Casey said:

The Ford GT is the only kit which contains the Coyote engine (albeit a bit simplified), correct?

The GT had a supercharged 5.4, way before the Coyote engine.   The Coyote 5.0 is in the Revell '13 Mustang Boss 302 and '14 Mustang GT kits.

Edited by Rob Hall

2 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Diecast models are where the sales and profit are for Round 2, model kits are a much smaller niche for them, I suspect.   (die cast in general is a much larger market than kits). 

Could that have remotely to do with the fact that there has been a diecast avalanche for the past quarter century, but at the same time hardly any new kits were tooled?
You can't be surprised that there is no market when you have destroyed it in the first place.

Besides, I admire the yawners for their stamina. I literally fell asleep during the "presentation".

Edited by Junkman

Count me as underwhelmed, as well.  There's at least a couple previous Model King releases that are begging to be reissued:

IMG_0925.JPG

2455507.jpg

The '64 Comet in particular is a no brainer, since the Moebius '65 is now available for kitbashing for those that want to upgrade it to full detail.

And for those who want to chime in about how these were such slow sellers for Model King, curbside kits don't sell, etc.: hold your breath (or keystrokes, I suppose).

The name of the game is price point, and MK way overshot the price point on these when they released them 10-15 years ago (?), especially the Comet.  You can't try pricing a curbside 50% more than a typical full detail kit and expect them to fly off the shelves.

If Round 2 would price these equivalent to most of their other kits, I think they'd do fine.  Since they like to gild the lily, throwing an extra set of wheels/tires in with the Comet would probably help sales for those that don't want to build a granny-fresh car.  Round 2 has a couple different sets of newly tooled mags that they could choose from.

Edited by Robberbaron

1 hour ago, Robberbaron said:

Count me as underwhelmed, as well.  There's at least a couple previous Model King releases that are begging to be reissued:

IMG_0925.JPG

2455507.jpg

The '64 Comet in particular is a no brainer, since the Moebius '65 is now available for kitbashing for those that want to upgrade it to full detail.

And for those who want to chime in about how these were such slow sellers for Model King, curbside kits don't sell, etc.: hold your breath (or keystrokes, I suppose).

The name of the game is price point, and MK way overshot the price point on these when they released them 10-15 years ago (?), especially the Comet.  You can't try pricing a curbside 50% more than a typical full detail kit and expect them to fly off the shelves.

If Round 2 would price these equivalent to most of their other kits, I think they'd do fine.  Since they like to gild the lily, throwing an extra set of wheels/tires in with the Comet would probably help sales for those that don't want to build a granny-fresh car.  Round 2 has a couple different sets of newly tooled mags that they could choose from.

I'd buy both if they were reissued. 

Chad does a Lousy Job. He uses the phrase "What's neat/cool about this" a dozen times per video. It is also clear that he really knows little about the subject matter. He could just as easily be doing talking about Kool-aid or dishwashers. He has gotten better at showing the boxes, and contents, but that is about all. The videos are actually painful to to watch as Chad flounders through each one. He is at least, excited to be doing them, but Round2 should get a slightly older, smooother spokesman, with more product knowledge to host these things.

I know that Tom L. and John G.are both highly experienced and seasoned industry professionals, but the amateur hour videos, and truly carp-tastic Round2 website along with the last few "Swing-and-a-Miss" Kit releases really have gotten to me. This cheaping out at the last minute garbage is getting chronic.

Case in point, the Gas-Man 49 Ford. Just picked one up yesterday. Both the side box art, and instruction sheet clearly call out Wide White & Pinstriped tires. They even went to the trouble of adding a special call out on the instructions noting that the stock build uses the Wide Whites, and the custom uses the Pinstripes . So, what's in the box? Wide Whites/Blackwalls. No Pinstripe tires. Makes no nevermind to me really, as I have many extra AMT tires.  But what about the Newbie, who goes looking for what was very clearly called out as a feature, and can not find it? Or what about the tiny fraction of us who read this on September 27 2016 on the Collector Model blog, "No matter what version you decide on – stock, custom or gasser, we are included four different tire combos! M&H wide piecrust slicks, Firestone narrow whitewall piecrust slicks, wide-white stock Firestones and Goodyear Polyglas GT’s!"? So no Polyglas GT's, and no pinstripes. This last minute Bean Counting is just immensely frustrating.  If you can't afford it, don't tease us with it.

I know, I know. Tom, John, Chad and the rest of the crew at Round2 work 25 hours days at the Mill, slaving away for us making our injection molded toys, while having to walk to work in 5 feet of snow. Uphill both ways.  Nobody is getting rich, and the whole crew is barely paid enough to survive, working their fingers to the bone to keep us picky customer supplied with kits. And the worst part? Those same picky customers keep griping about what they get....... They whinge incessantly about which kits are chosen to be re-issued, what parts are (Or are NOT) in each kit, and the number and quality of both accessories and decals. Why don't those same customers just purchase what is re-issued, and stop with the suggestions about what would sell better, which kits they want to see next, and what would make the whole business conform to what they (the customers) want. After all, this  Model Company 'thing' is really, really hard, costs a tonne of money, & "If you're so smart-Why don't you put your money where your mouth is. You try it?"

What saddens me most is that despite the exaggeration and hyperbole, the preceding paragraph is not completely how I feel. I know that Round2 is run by highly competent men. I know that they are doing their very best to balance customer desires with a very small R&D tooling budget, in order to sell the most product. There is little room for error. From frequent checking on the Collector Model blog, I see and feel the passion that exudes from them. I see the effort expended in the Sci-Fi market. The new Space 1999 & Star Trek stuff is awesome. I sincerely hope it sells in vast quantities. Seeing the effort put into these kits, tells me that Round2 is getting much more return on the 'Space' stuff than it is on Cars. Otherwise that tooling money would not be invested there. So, Good for them. However, there has been, over the last three years or so, a real tangible "Going Through The Motions" feel to many of the car and truck kits we get. The Tire issue on the Gasman. The totally lacklustre  '79 Firebird. (OK, the decals were great). The Giant Whiff on the '29 Model A (but NOT the Ala Kart) kit. A kit that could have sold in large quantities if it had been properly restored, to a "One'n'Done" kit. The Lack of all the stock , Two Piece Plastic tires in the recent '75 Datsun kit.(three tires, Really?) Over and over there seems to be maximum effort on some kits, and a "just get it done" effort on the rest. Common, guys. Give us the same attention to detail that the Sci-Fi guys get? Please?

Some Suggestions for kits that IMHO, would sell well.

The rest of the 1932 Fords. The Phaeton and the Coupe and the Roadster. The Vicky was a knockout. I bought 4, and will buy more. Refresh the others in the same way, and you don't even have to pay for any re-tooling. Just Tires and Decals. (and as a bonus, to really goose sales, restore the Twin Side Mount Fenders to one of the kits) That would put me in for a case.

The 1940 Ford Sedan. Again just Tires and Decals Be really nice if some of the parts that have vanished over the years made it back, but I'll but them any way I can get them.

The MPC Universal Jeep. Most of this tool exists. Give us the Half Cab, Snowplow, and the original swag that came with the first issue, and we'll all be happy.

Lastly. Cooter's Tow Truck. The kit, not the Dukes Licensee stuff. Chevy Grill, GMC Grille, what ever is in the tooling now. Find the Grille Guard that came in the Originals, along with the Mini Fire Engine parts, and watch the sales go.

I hear that the Ex-AMT '34 Pickup is someday waiting in the wings. Be assured that when THAT kit comes I'll be in for a few. The first car kit I ever built with my dad at age 7, I want this kit just for the nostalgia hit alone. (yes, I have four of the Lindberg version. It is not the same...)

Also Thanks for the '72 Chevy Blazer, The '80 Volare Fuzz Duster, '79 Pinto Wagon, The Chevy Squad Rod, and the '77 Chevy Monza. All kits I never owned, and all kits that I rave about. They are all done right!