Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hasegawas Lamborghini Miura SV....new update!

Dann Tier

1 hour ago, dino246gt said:

I guess I thought it was crappy because it has no engine, I've never seen the kit so I shouldn't judge it. It sure is looking good though given what you've done!

This kit is what i call a 3/4 engine kit. It has most of the engine bits, in fact, it still has more engine parts than most revell/amt kits. Each part is VERY detailed, and with the right detailing...as you will see here, will still look VERY realistic!!....i bet you could actually open the rear cowl to display the engine, if you do the right detailing to it....i may do that sometime to show people....

15 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

This kit is what i call a 3/4 engine kit. It has most of the engine bits, in fact, it still has more engine parts than most revell/amt kits. Each part is VERY detailed, and with the right detailing...as you will see here, will still look VERY realistic!!....i bet you could actually open the rear cowl to display the engine, if you do the right detailing to it....i may do that sometime to show people....

Yep.  And you hide all that nice detail with the window slats...  It is a GREAT kit.  Forget the engine thing if you're used to traditional USA kits.   Once compete, this is a beautiful replica.  My next Hasegawa will be a Lanica Stratos Stradale for a friend.    Again no engine in this particular one, but the kit looks great.  

Edited by randyc

1 hour ago, randyc said:

Yep.  And you hide all that nice detail with the window slats...  It is a GREAT kit.  Forget the engine thing if you're used to traditional USA kits.   Once compete, this is a beautiful replica.  My next Hasegawa will be a Lanica Stratos Stradale for a friend.    Again no engine in this particular one, but the kit looks great.  

Hopefully you do a WIP on it!!....i love these kits!!....i have a suprise with this Miura, that WILL show all that great detail!!

• 2 months later...

Hey, everyone!, i'm finally back to working on this one as well! The chassis has been in black primer for quite a while now, so what i started doing is painting all the basic kolors. Next will be detailing. I plan on adding ALOT of detail....lets see what can be done! I dont normally paint underside details of my curb sides...only what can be seen as it sits on its base. Just for the heck of it, i i did a quick crank case paint job, lol

DSCF9062.JPG

DSCF9063.JPG

DSCF9064.JPG

DSCF9065.JPG

DSCF9066.JPG

Dann...I am glad to see I am not the only one that is a big fan of the Miura.  I have a whole shelf   dedicated to Lamborghini's. Fell in love with the Muira in 1970 when I followed one into Watkins Glen track. There is a tunnel that goes under the track and the tradition is to pushyour clutch in and rev the engine so the sound just reverberates off the walls. It sounded a lot better than my Austin Healy. One of these Lambos is probably the kit you are working on but the interior is not as tasty as yours since it was built a long time ago. I have images of a friends Miura if you need them. 

DSC06800.JPG

7 hours ago, Rich Chernosky said:

Dann...I am glad to see I am not the only one that is a big fan of the Miura.  I have a whole shelf   dedicated to Lamborghini's. Fell in love with the Muira in 1970 when I followed one into Watkins Glen track. There is a tunnel that goes under the track and the tradition is to pushyour clutch in and rev the engine so the sound just reverberates off the walls. It sounded a lot better than my Austin Healy. One of these Lambos is probably the kit you are working on but the interior is not as tasty as yours since it was built a long time ago. I have images of a friends Miura if you need them. 

DSC06800.JPG

Thanks, bud!!, we all have our own ways of building, and it looks like you have a GREAT Lambo collection!!....you are very lucky to have seen one in person!....i'm jealous!!!, lol

6 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Man this thing is looking good Dann. I really like the first one you built back on the first page of this WIP. Following......

Thanks, bud!!, that one has a wee bit of fogging in the finish...couldnt fix it, so thats why i'm building this one -to replace it....Thanks for following!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Miura update time!...there are only a couple of obvious bits left to do so i can paint it!

-Photo 1-3; I've built this kit a couple of times now, and learned that if you dont rescribe the seams, they have a VERY good chance of disappearing  entirely after the painting process...however, the plastic at the base of the windscreen is EXTREMELY thin, and i ALWAYS go through -especially where the doors intersect. Not to worry though, if you glue aluminum foil to the underside, it will fix the whole issue...but be sure NOT to get glue into the holes, or it will fill-in the seam, and you will have to start again.

-Photo 4&5; I noticed that most people like to re-scribe ALL the panel lines on their builds, thats okay, but if you wanna be more realistic, then you shouldnt do all of them. I only scribe the lines that denote opening bits....not the seams where body panels meet, and are fixed in place...these are usually shallower, and therefore dont need to be deeper. For example; the arros show the areas that are fixed, and dont need scribing on this car.

-Photo 6-9; These are all the vents i needed to open before i can paint. the rear vent is the only one that needs a slight lip for the mesh to attach to, and it looks like i need to trim the bottom left lip down a bit still. 

DSCF9483.JPG

DSCF9484.JPG

DSCF9492.JPG

DSCF9488.JPG

DSCF9482.JPG

DSCF9490.JPG

DSCF9491.JPG

DSCF9493.JPG

DSCF9489.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

Hey, everyone!, heres a bit of an update...moving steadily forward to paint the body. Before anybody gets their knickers in a twist, i am FULLY aware that the real miura doesnt have opening louvers....in this case, i dont care, as long as it looks real in its proper position, thats all i care about....and it does. Since i really wanna wire-up this motor, but dont wanna do all the extra work involved with opening the rear cowl, and making everything inside look realistic, i decided that this would be the perfect compromise.

-Photo 1&2; First i made the rear louver rests....it doesnt really matter what they look like underneath, as long as the visible bits look even, and proper.

-Photo 3&4; After eliminating the two contact lips on either side of the louvers, i added styrene pins to the very top two corners.Then i made two brackets that wouldnt allow the louvers to sink down, but i made them twice the width of the pins diameter, so that one could slide the louvers down, and away from possibly binding/chipping paint off the roof.

-Photo 5; In the closed position, you cant tell that anything is different.

DSCF9516.JPG

DSCF9517.JPG

DSCF9519.JPG

DSCF9518.JPG

DSCF9520.JPG

Edited by Dann Tier

I'm loving the way this is coming along Dann. Nice idea with the aluminium foil reinforcements. 

I think the opening louvres is a great idea. I always thought the engine detail was a bit wasted on this kit, as the rear clamshell does not open, and you can't see mush through the louvres. I thought of opening the whole thing up on my build, but theres other details around the engine that are missing. The opening louvres is the best solution. You still get to show off the engine properly, and don't have to scratch build all the surrounding detail.

Keep showing us your great work.

I'm a BIG Miura fan, so when I do eventually build mine, I want it all open, so it'll require a lot of extra work, I mean a lot of extra fun!

Here's a few photos of the real amazing, gorgeous, innovative and crazy little bull!

Dan I love what you did with the louvers! CIAO!

Miura window louvers.jpg

Miura Ithica.jpg

81711813_3178145552202310_1515408682735632384_o.jpg

Miura explosion.jpg

Edited by dino246gt

On 3/1/2020 at 2:32 AM, beeRS said:

I'm loving the way this is coming along Dann. Nice idea with the aluminium foil reinforcements. 

I think the opening louvres is a great idea. I always thought the engine detail was a bit wasted on this kit, as the rear clamshell does not open, and you can't see mush through the louvres. I thought of opening the whole thing up on my build, but theres other details around the engine that are missing. The opening louvres is the best solution. You still get to show off the engine properly, and don't have to scratch build all the surrounding detail.

Keep showing us your great work.

Thanks, Bud!...i never did understand why its got all those nice engine bits, but no way to effectively see it. I dont mind going crazy on a build, but not on every single kit i build....so i opted for this compromise.

On 3/1/2020 at 9:49 AM, dino246gt said:

I'm a BIG Miura fan, so when I do eventually build mine, I want it all open, so it'll require a lot of extra work, I mean a lot of extra fun!

Here's a few photos of the real amazing, gorgeous, innovative and crazy little bull!

Dan I love what you did with the louvers! CIAO!

Miura window louvers.jpg

Miura Ithica.jpg

81711813_3178145552202310_1515408682735632384_o.jpg

Miura explosion.jpg

Yes they ARE beautiful cars!!...thanks for sharing the photos!...and for following along!!....looking forward to seeing yours!!!

On 3/4/2020 at 4:46 PM, heyjohnxx said:

Hi Dann,

I don't know if you've these videos, but this guy is rebuilding a Muira. It's fun seeing all the bits and pieces.

Tyrrell's Classic Workshop on youtube. Here's one video: 

No i havent! -thanks for sharing!!!, i've got it saved, and have already watched it a few times!!!

On 3/4/2020 at 2:46 PM, heyjohnxx said:

Hi Dann,

I don't know if you've these videos, but this guy is rebuilding a Muira. It's fun seeing all the bits and pieces.

Tyrrell's Classic Workshop on youtube. Here's one video: 

Videos such as this are an awesome resource, thanks for sharing.  There was an orange one that was also found, that would be what I build someday, in the "found" state, yes all grimy because I sort of hate doing shiny paint jobs. ?  Note the turn signals on this example.

Ok Dann, I know life gets in the way, wish you the best my freind.

8 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Videos such as this are an awesome resource, thanks for sharing.  There was an orange one that was also found, that would be what I build someday, in the "found" state, yes all grimy because I sort of hate doing shiny paint jobs. ?  Note the turn signals on this example.

Ok Dann, I know life gets in the way, wish you the best my freind.

Thanks, Bud!....i'm pulling my finger out!