Model Cars Magazine Forum

As requested.....the Pink '29 A Pickup from Street Rodder, May 1990...TIM

tim boyd

About six weeks or so, one of you requested to see fresh pictures of my pink '29 Model A Closed Cab Pickup that was featured in a many-page how-to in the infamous "Model Car Special" 36 page feature in the May, 1990 issue of Street Rodder magazine. 

Your wish is my command....or something like that.

Here are some fresh studio pictures of the car in its current, unrestored form.   Additional pictures at the two link below....

DSC 0404

The following is how I introduce the imagery in my Fotki photo album....

"Here's a blast of late 1980's/early 1990's street rod design sensibilities for you. This was another kitbash project, originally planned to for several successive "Modelers Corner" columns during the 1990 calendar year. My Street Rodder magazine Editor back then, a great guy named Tom Vogele, had a different idea. He placed the content in a single, many-page main feature as part of a 36-page model car building special section in the May, 1990 issue of his magazine.

The paint was Krylon, the squiggle graphics came from the late Brian Bordon's graphic design work contracted to Revell, the engine was a TPI small Block Chevy (yes, a rare lapse in my otherwise stout belief that Ford street and hot rods unilaterally deserve Ford engines!!!), those billet wheels came from Monogram's then-recent 1937 Ford Tudor kit, and the truck rode on an uncaged Jaguar XK-E IRS sourced from an early 1960's kit of the same topic."

DSC 0405DSC 0406
DSC 0410

DSC 0418DSC 0407DSC 0414DSC 0427
Several more pictures here....sorry it took so long to respond.....and enjoy.....TIM .

Edited by tim boyd

That build kinda the text book definition of 'The 1990's'.......both in scale and 1/1.

Don't take this as hijack........but I had to share my 1990's street rod build.....with all the then current trends.....

1933 Caddy....Boss 429 powered....IRS rear. Funny how similar they are in many ways.

Gotta love the 90's!!! thx

CADDY33.JPG

CADDY33a.JPG

Still looking good after all these years. Even though some of the stylistic choices may have fallen out of style, builds like this from that era that show good construction and cohesive style choices do stand up.

I have now added that issue of Street Rodder to my focused search on eBay. i didn't know it existed. thanks for sharing

Tim--do you happen to know what front tires you used for this truck? They're perfect.

Thanks for sharing these photos. I agree that this is a well-sorted and nicely proportioned kitbash, regardless of style or era.

This style of hot rod still graced the pages of Street Rodder when I first started reading it in the '90s.  For a while I turned up my nose at the "pink n' teal squiggle graphics" school of rodding, but now I'm thinking it would be a lot of fun to use up some of those '90s kit parts in an authentic 80s/90s street rod build. I have 'vette suspension and LT1 engines, grant steering wheels, molded seats, tweed interior panels, a selection of billet wheels, and tons of Revell '32 series tires that would fit the bill.

I wish there was a '40 Chevy available in 1/25...seems that era was awash with tubby chopped fat-fender Fords and Chevies, with cheese-grater headlights and taillights, molded mirrors, and splash graphics, and I'd enjoy building one.

2 hours ago, Spex84 said:

Tim--do you happen to know what front tires you used for this truck? They're perfect.

Thanks for sharing these photos. I agree that this is a well-sorted and nicely proportioned kitbash, regardless of style or era.

This style of hot rod still graced the pages of Street Rodder when I first started reading it in the '90s.  For a while I turned up my nose at the "pink n' teal squiggle graphics" school of rodding, but now I'm thinking it would be a lot of fun to use up some of those '90s kit parts in an authentic 80s/90s street rod build. I have 'vette suspension and LT1 engines, grant steering wheels, molded seats, tweed interior panels, a selection of billet wheels, and tons of Revell '32 series tires that would fit the bill.

I wish there was a '40 Chevy available in 1/25...seems that era was awash with tubby chopped fat-fender Fords and Chevies, with cheese-grater headlights and taillights, molded mirrors, and splash graphics, and I'd enjoy building one.

I was the one most vocal at requesting to see this model with fresh, color photography.  I actually saw it quite a while back on your Fotki as I snoop around there regularly. I saved all the pictures to my home PC in case yours ever go away. There was never a Modeler's Corner I didn't enjoy but the May '90 edition where you showed how to build this truck is my all time favorite. 

As for the truck, man does it look good for it's age! And you just absolutely nailed The Look. 

Okay, next request. Your final project for Modeler's Corner was a chopped '30 Sedan with a 429 engine, tube frame and pro-street style tires out back. The rear fenders were widened inward the width of the tires. It was bad ass!

Perfect Color from the late 80's early 90's... I was just about to post in the ask a question section about this color I seen at the hobby shop the other day, kinda cotton candy to me... Has any one ever used it?  I'm thinking about getting it for a chopped Ford I'm working on with wide whites and chrome steelies... 60's style...

tamr5025.jpg

17 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Okay, next request. Your final project for Modeler's Corner was a chopped '30 Sedan with a 429 engine, tube frame and pro-street style tires out back. The rear fenders were widened inward the width of the tires. It was bad ass!

Thanks Dennis for the comments.  Always appreciated!   I didn't recall the request coming from you; had I done so I would have certainly noted it in my intro!   :) 

Yours isn't the first request on the '30A Tudor, either.  As you probably can tell from going through my Fotki albums, I have been trying to systematically go through my collection of built models and photograph all of a certain type (gasser rail dragsters, three window coupe, Corvettes etc.)  I'll make a mental note to prioritize the "Street Rod/Hot Rod Tudors" category ahead of the others on the "next up" list.  Thanks for the suggestion; it's a really good one!  

Cheers.....TIM 

9 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Still, I'm glad the Easter-egg colors and billet everything are about done in the 1:1 world. 

Bill....honestly, me too. 

But it's not just that, it seems to me that the new participants in the "Traditional Hot Rod" movement (here I'm referencing not just the cars but the entire crowd that turns out at the Lonestar Roundup each year), for example, just seem to me to be a whole lot more authentic, not just in their execution of their hot rod builds, but their entire reasoning for being involved in the hobby. 

I'm also thinking of Cory Taulbert and his wife Ashley (Ashley being the daughter of car builder Dan Webb), and how their new '32 Roadster was an America's Most Beautiful Roadster finalist a few days ago.   There is an entire generation of young adults who are into building historically accurate hot rods, and I think it is great.  TIM 

'

Edited by tim boyd

21 hours ago, disconovaman said:

Perfect Color from the late 80's early 90's... I was just about to post in the ask a question section about this color I seen at the hobby shop the other day, kinda cotton candy to me... Has any one ever used it?  I'm thinking about getting it for a chopped Ford I'm working on with wide whites and chrome steelies... 60's style...

tamr5025.jpg

Anthony....I haven't tried this color yet but I do have a can in my paint inventory.    It's much more of a "pure" pink than the color I used on the build above....that color was a deeper pink with a fair amount of coral pink in it as well.  The real color is ver close to the color in the images at the beginning of the thread.  I doubt it's in Krylon's current paint lineup as the model was built nearly 30 years ago...

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this color on your chopped Ford project...TIM 

52 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this color on your chopped Ford project...TIM 

Thanks, The color on your closed cab looks Coral Reef (Isuzu color). from 1990 ish.

I'm really glad you posted this here because seeing this is a nice change of pace for me. (even better that it was built in that era). It's risky nowadays to paint something in the pink family. I'm more willing to paint it now. I know it's just a model but color can make or break a build. 

I loved seeing the new Amigos on the lot back in 92 with that color. It was a color that phased out quickly and was forgotten. I couldn't even find an original photo of a new one. 

The Chopped ford will be in Snake's Dead Challange... It's a 20 year stalled project and until two Saturdays ago it was in my cousins attic for over 16 years. Check it out soon. It should progress fast.

Screenshot_20190130-204247.jpg