Model Cars Magazine Forum

What diecast did you get today?

Gramps46

On 7/7/2020 at 3:52 PM, Gramps46 said:

Yesterday the mailman delivered a Welly 1953 Chevy 3100 tow truck.  It has a few quirks in the signage but like the model.

20200706_160122.jpg.db9c5e768378081e84049bb0188775ff.jpg

These have been around forever and a lot of them have been broken up to use the wrecker bed on models which works well since that part is plastic.  The originals had stock wheels and tires, later ones had goofy wheels. It’s good to see they are back to the stock wheels.

7B7C2CCE-6FFF-4A04-B788-2584AEB7DAA7.jpeg.ff025e9c4c3b5c329f3dd611fe6a1df6.jpeg

Here’s the pair I bought. Photo is dated 2003. 

9 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

New acquisitions from Walmart. M2 Machines Foose 1970 Mustang Gambler 514. Nice wheels and a 1952 VW Beetle with EMPI graphics and wheels. Have not seen them on their website.

0713201647-vi.jpg

0713201645-vi.jpg

0713201645a-vi.jpg

That Mustang is sharp and a great price! I like the Vw also!  I may have to get one of those Mustangs....

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I dropped into my local Five Below (for those who don't know, sort of a "dollar store" where everything there is, I think, $5 or less). Was surprised to see a number of diecast-ish cars on the shelves. 

I didn't get the brand name, but the boxing/presentation was similar to the common Jada/Maisto/M2 diecasts at Walmart. In other words, they weren't "loose" like the Wellys at Rite Aid. 

They were obviously (from the weight) all-plastic and not diecast metal. They weren't bad looking, though. 

They had Cadillac Escalade and Yukon Denali in a couple different colors. "C7" Corvettes in red and yellow. Also, some sort of Lamborghini in a nice metallic gray and even nicer metallic red. 

The Corvette looked good in shape (not that I'm an expert on them) and seemed to be the right size. I already have a couple diecast C7s and decided I didn't need another one. The Lamborghini looked nice but might have been a bit small. I don't know how big the real ones are but this seemed to be a bit small compared to other 1/24 sports cars in my collection. After I noticed that, the Denali and Escalade might have been small, too. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Yesterday I dropped into my local Five Below (for those who don't know, sort of a "dollar store" where everything there is, I think, $5 or less). Was surprised to see a number of diecast-ish cars on the shelves. 

I didn't get the brand name, but the boxing/presentation was similar to the common Jada/Maisto/M2 diecasts at Walmart. In other words, they weren't "loose" like the Wellys at Rite Aid. 

They were obviously (from the weight) all-plastic and not diecast metal. They weren't bad looking, though. 

They had Cadillac Escalade and Yukon Denali in a couple different colors. "C7" Corvettes in red and yellow. Also, some sort of Lamborghini in a nice metallic gray and even nicer metallic red. 

The Corvette looked good in shape (not that I'm an expert on them) and seemed to be the right size. I already have a couple diecast C7s and decided I didn't need another one. The Lamborghini looked nice but might have been a bit small. I don't know how big the real ones are but this seemed to be a bit small compared to other 1/24 sports cars in my collection. After I noticed that, the Denali and Escalade might have been small, too. 

some of the lambos do seem kinda smaller than you would expect them to be, I'm not very up on the versions but there was one at a show i went to and it didn't seem much longer than a focus wagon, but much fatter

5 hours ago, stitchdup said:

some of the lambos do seem kinda smaller than you would expect them to be, I'm not very up on the versions but there was one at a show i went to and it didn't seem much longer than a focus wagon, but much fatter

Focus and Gallardo. The Focus has a V8.

112_0408_Ford_Racing_Focus_RS8_Vs_Lamborghini_Gallardo_17z-Ford_Racing_Focus_RS8_And_Lamborghini_Gallardo-Passenger_Side_View_Racing.jpg

Edited by stinkybritches
Additional details

The models you saw at Five Below are made by Braha.  They have a range of models in both static and R/C and as you say are $5.  I mentioned them last year when I found a Bentley Continental and a Hummer II.  They are also sold at Ross if I remember correctly.

20191014_182214.jpg.df8b7d1ae9c576caf468ebf52c72ba06.jpg (a 5

I just completed my second phase of a complete collection of Lesney Matchbox cars. In my initial phase of collecting I only wanted an example of every model in the 1968 catalogue.  My next phase, completed today was to have a boxed version to add as an accompaniment.  As anyone who is into Matchbox collecting know, this is only the beginning. 20200731_231203_copy_1209x1612.jpg.8197d17985982ac26e590f02ac1bfe3d.jpg

20200731_231143_copy_1209x1612.jpg

18 minutes ago, Eric Macleod said:

I just completed my second phase of a complete collection of Lesney Matchbox cars. In my initial phase of collecting I only wanted an example of every model in the 1968 catalogue.  My next phase, completed today was to have a boxed version to add as an accompaniment.  As anyone who is into Matchbox collecting know, this is only the beginning. 20200731_231203_copy_1209x1612.jpg.8197d17985982ac26e590f02ac1bfe3d.jpg

20200731_231143_copy_1209x1612.jpg

Quite a collection you have!

Love it!  First car I remember to this day was the 64 chevy taxi.  My grandma used to let me pick out a new boxed car every week when she got her hair done.  Place across street from salon had them.  Beautiful collection you have there.  

2 hours ago, randyc said:

Love it!  First car I remember to this day was the 64 chevy taxi.  My grandma used to let me pick out a new boxed car every week when she got her hair done.  Place across street from salon had them.  Beautiful collection you have there.  

The first one I remember was #41, the Ford GT. My favorite was #73, the Mercury station wagon with the superfast wheels. I don't think it was ever beaten i a race. Unclear why it was so fast, but it was a little rocket.

19 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

I just completed my second phase of a complete collection of Lesney Matchbox cars. In my initial phase of collecting I only wanted an example of every model in the 1968 catalogue.  My next phase, completed today was to have a boxed version to add as an accompaniment.  As anyone who is into Matchbox collecting know, this is only the beginning. 

Quite Impressive. I wish I had kept the first Matchbox cars my father gave me when I was little. I don't even remember what they were. I know they were in a blue case and that's about it.

Back in 1990 there was this silly movie called Days of Thunder barely representing NASCAR. With it came some really low quality die cast collector cars representing the movie cars. They were produced by this company called Racing Champions. I seem to remember they came in a plastic bag when you bought food from Hardee's. Needless to say I had a few and held on to them for my kid so he could have them when he was old enough. So, a couple of years later I find these neat looking vintage NASCAR Ford Galaxie stock cars from 1964 on the Walmart shelves and start collecting them along with Plymouth Superbirds,  and eventually Mercury Cyclone Spoiler IIs, Ford Talladegas, and Dodge Charger Daytonas. I guess over a couple of years I found most of them. I eventually boxed them up and occasionally would see some I didn't have in hobby and sports memorabilia stores priced beyond what I thought was reasonable. Anything over $10 for the most rarest was ridiculous for a poorly reproduces piece of Zamak. Well there was one that I really wanted more than all the rest. Marty Robbins' #42 Dodge Daytona. I've had it on my eBay watch for years. It pops up regularly for a price usually starting at around $30 and can bid as much as $40+ and that doesn't include shipping. Well, this week I was checking my phone and there was a dot beside my Marty Robbins watch so I clicked on it expecting $29.95 and low and behold it said Buy It Now $8. I couldn't click fast enough. I did check to make sure it was a legitimate seller and a couple of other things, but here it is!  Matches my University of Racing diecast pretty well!

2v2HiyD5jxAVNRq.jpg

2v2E4tTAWxAVNRq.jpg

It's kind of ironic because I just had all of these out from storage and it turns out I need a few more to complete each series. Look out eBay, here I come!

32 minutes ago, THarrison351 said:

Back in 1990 there was this silly movie called Days of Thunder barely representing NASCAR. With it came some really low quality die cast collector cars representing the movie cars. They were produced by this company called Racing Champions. I seem to remember they came in a plastic bag when you bought food from Hardee's. Needless to say I had a few and held on to them for my kid so he could have them when he was old enough. So, a couple of years later I find these neat looking vintage NASCAR Ford Galaxie stock cars from 1964 on the Walmart shelves and start collecting them along with Plymouth Superbirds,  and eventually Mercury Cyclone Spoiler IIs, Ford Talladegas, and Dodge Charger Daytonas. I guess over a couple of years I found most of them. I eventually boxed them up and occasionally would see some I didn't have in hobby and sports memorabilia stores priced beyond what I thought was reasonable. Anything over $10 for the most rarest was ridiculous for a poorly reproduces piece of Zamak. Well there was one that I really wanted more than all the rest. Marty Robbins' #42 Dodge Daytona. I've had it on my eBay watch for years. It pops up regularly for a price usually starting at around $30 and can bid as much as $40+ and that doesn't include shipping. Well, this week I was checking my phone and there was a dot beside my Marty Robbins watch so I clicked on it expecting $29.95 and low and behold it said Buy It Now $8. I couldn't click fast enough. I did check to make sure it was a legitimate seller and a couple of other things, but here it is!  Matches my University of Racing diecast pretty well!

It's kind of ironic because I just had all of these out from storage and it turns out I need a few more to complete each series. Look out eBay, here I come!

LOL Days of thunder.  My dad managed a Hardee's and made sure I had several sets of those cars.  I still got em if anyone can't live without a set or two.  And I think we all collected NASCAR for a while.  I have a bunch of 63 Galaxies and 62 Pontiacs from RCCA.  In their little boxes still.  And I have a later Marty Robbins Charger I think, if you need it.  Be glad to send it to you.  

Also, PM me anything you might be looking for.  I have a LOT of stuff.